Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 08:06 AM

878 posts, read 1,208,035 times

Advertisements

Only just heard of Restaurant Depot when browsing around on Chowhound-- unlike most (all?) Restaurant Depots, the one in Brooklyn Center is open to the public.

The prices, especially for meat, poultry, cheese, fish and seafood look stunningly low (although you likely do have to buy in bulk-- while I have no need of a vat of mustard, but can easily butcher and individually freeze roasts, steaks, etc) You can view the current sales flyer here: flyers (just select the Brooklyn Center location from the drop down)

Any feedback/tips-- best buys? Items to avoid? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 09:41 AM

34 posts, read 50,867 times
Wait. WAIT. It's open to the public?

sweet baby jesus I hope you aren't trolling me. I am going today.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftside View Post
Wait. WAIT. It's open to the public?

sweet baby jesus I hope you aren't trolling me. I am going today.
That's the rumor: I believe that the city of Brooklyn Center made that it be open to the public a requirement when they opened.

I haven't yet gone, as I only learned of it last night, but I would definitely recommend verifying that it is indeed open to the public before heading there. (If not, I believe that you can join the Kansas City Barbeque Society for $35/year to get unlimited day passes-- again, haven't verified that either!)

Old 11-09-2015, 12:05 PM

442 posts, read 593,852 times
Their website says they're not open to the public. I have been looking for a restaurant supply store in the Twin Cities that is open to the public for two years now (we had Gordon Food Service in Michigan that was great for food-service stuff that we use at home, but nothing here). Are there any at all?

Old 11-09-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryaninMSP View Post
Their website says they're not open to the public. I have been looking for a restaurant supply store in the Twin Cities that is open to the public for two years now (we had Gordon Food Service in Michigan that was great for food-service stuff that we use at home, but nothing here). Are there any at all?
Just called. They ARE open to the public, in the Brooklyn Center location-- that is, unless the very kind woman that answered the phone, named Kiki, lied to me

My understanding is that ALL Restaurant Depots are NOT open to the public, other than the one in Brooklyn Centerr (because they were 'forced to' by the city)-- so that's likely why their national website indicates that they're 'to the trade' only. But, again, I called and verified that the location in Brooklyn Center is OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:02 PM

442 posts, read 593,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
Just called. They ARE open to the public, in the Brooklyn Center location-- that is, unless the very kind woman that answered the phone, named Kiki, lied to me

My understanding is that ALL Restaurant Depots are NOT open to the public, other than the one in Brooklyn Centerr (because they were 'forced to' by the city)-- so that's likely why their national website indicates that they're 'to the trade' only. But, again, I called and verified that the location in Brooklyn Center is OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
You're my hero. I'm going tomorrow or Wednesday to blow my last commission check.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryaninMSP View Post
You're my hero. I'm going tomorrow or Wednesday to blow my last commission check.
Glad to have helped; be sure to report back-- I won't be able to get there until Friday, at the earliest. Would love to hear what you think about both the selection and prices!

Old 11-09-2015, 06:00 PM

812 posts, read 2,173,155 times
It is open to the public. I was there once. I happened to go on a day before a holiday, big mistake. Normally it's not swamped.

It's not a place for kids, don't bring them. There's too many piles of stuff and things getting pushed around.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:47 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,173 times
As a chef, I have used Restaurant Depot for various things over the years. Their quality is mixed (good with some things, poor with other). Their prices are lower than Sysco and US Foods, so they are MUCH cheaper than a grocery store. One of the things I would recommend is buying meat in bulk, breaking it down and then freezing it. For example, center cut pork loin is what pork chops come from, all you have to do is cut the loin in the thickness of a pork chop and viola. You should get around 22 chops per loin and it is way cheaper than going to the grocery store. Chicken breast and whole chicken is the same deal. It is also a great place to buy equipment. I would avoid most of their produce.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
It is open to the public. I was there once. I happened to go on a day before a holiday, big mistake. Normally it's not swamped.

It's not a place for kids, don't bring them. There's too many piles of stuff and things getting pushed around.
Excellent points about the kids and about the holiday weekends--thx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul