Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 01:56 PM

351 posts, read 492,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapDad View Post
I looked up Saint Anthony and it has Wilshire Park elementary, which seems to have good ratings. I am wondering though, if it feels relatively safe (which I think is a huge factor for being kid-friendly) compared to the western suburbs or even Champlin. I went on "RaidsOnline.com" and there seems to be quite a number of crime reports east and west of Saint Anthony, especially as it gets closer to Mpls. Thanks!
I grew up in St Anthony. Excellent schools. Safe neighborhoods. Within your 30 min to downtown criteria. Homes within your price range (albeit they will be small). Some large yards. I think you should take a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 02:29 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Good luck finding anything for $240k or less in St Anthony. I live a block from St Anthony in Roseville, and it's a perfect location to everything (I'm in Mounds View school district.)

Old 03-31-2016, 08:39 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapDad View Post
I am finishing up my PhD studies, and will be relocating to Minneapolis in mid-May to begin my new job. My wife and three young kids (ages 1 to 5) will be moving with me and we would love to get suggestions/advice on where to live!

The biggest priorities for us would be a good, assigned public school and a kid-friendly neighborhood. The next priority would be within 30 min commute from my workplace (downtown). Also, I have a starter home budget of $220-240K and we would like to live in a single family home.

After some internet searches (edinarealty, zillow, city-data, greatschools, etc), we think that Champlin might be the ideal location that satisfies our priorities and fall within our budget, followed by Maple Grove and Plymouth. I seem to find forum discussions on Maple Grove and Plymouth, but hardly any about Champlin, so does anyone have any experience/comments about living there with young kids?

Looking forward to hearing all of your comments! Thanks in advance!
There might be a few homes in and around Eden Prairie, Chanhassen, Chaska and Carver (Carver would be the most affordable-- but also the furthest) that will meet your criteria--- they will almost certainly be split levels and dated, but, if you're lucky, you might find one that is not only clean but also has updated mechanicals, roof and windows.

I also saw that you're not as worried about high school ratings and are only focusing on elementary schools. Take or discard this advice, as you please, but as someone who also has three kids and is a few years further down the path (mine are ages 8-13); I would STRONGLY advise you to consider areas that have great schools ALL the way through, even if you have to up your budget by $20K-$40K (if you can swing it without resorting to ramen, of course!)

Your kids will likely be quite resistant to moving once they're well entrenched in late elementary/middle school-- plus the transaction costs of both selling and then buying a home 7-8 years from now will likely obliterate any potential monthly savings that you'd find from buying a slightly less expensive home in a 'lesser' school district now (though, as mentioned, you have to seek out a bad school district here-- they're almost all universally excellent). I will also tell you that high school comes up and FAST (I swear that it seems that my middle schooler was entering kindergarten less than a year ago)

If you can find that proverbial 'worst house on the best street'-- you can always improve it or even add on if and when you need more room (and have more income)-- or you can move to a bigger/nicer home in the same school district. Additionally, I *hate* commuting with the fire of a thousand suns, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd hesitate before taking on an onerous commute-- that would get REAL old, REAL quick.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:59 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,905 times
Maple Grove Resident here, and wanted to chime in and say it seems like Maple Grove could be pretty nice for you. I bought my house (mid-70s split level, about a 1/4 acre lot, across the street from a playground and close to an elementary school) a couple years ago and it was well within your price range. The house needed some cosmetic touching up, but is overall pretty good. Check out the Elm Creek Park reserve and look at the residential areas south and east of there for some similar housing stock...this is the 'older' part of Maple Grove with great old trees and beautiful fall colors.

Other things going in your favor are the parks and recreation for young kids. In addition to the massive Elm Creek Park Reserve (which includes tubing hills, a swimming pond, a large playground) there are many miles of paved bike trails and quite a number of small neighborhood parks. Also check out the new Central Park playground and ice skating loop, the concerts and shows at the Town Greene outdoor ampitheatre, and the Maple Grove library.

Lots of restaurants that kids and parents can both enjoy...mostly chains, but we pop over to the Brooklyn Park area when we want something more unique, as there are tons of good ethnic restaurants over that way.

The commute is the challenge, but a <30min drive+$240k+room for 3 kids will be a tough triad to get. I missed if you are working in downtown or on campus. If in downtown minneapolis, check out the express bus services from Maple Grove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul