Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 10:34 PM

100 posts, read 122,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
... That said, the sheer musical ingenuity comes through clear to me even in the songs I don't particularly like. A good example is the song Kiss. I could take it or leave it. But when I listen to it, I'm hearing the art of someone who understands every last note and inflection of his voice as he sings it. Not my style, but I can perceive the genius of it. And the incredible diversity of styles and unconventional exploration of musical sounds comes through in what I've heard of his work. ...
I think one measure of an "artist" is what others can do with their work. Prince's "Kiss" is OK by me, but certainly not his best or my favorite. However, the Tom Jones/Art of Noise version just blows me out of the water. It is sooooo very good, and I think that reflects well on his Purpleness for crafting such a great song in the first place.

I was listening to The Current's Prince alphabetical marathon today and had an out-of-the-blue thought. Because they were not doing it in chronological order, a wide range of Prince modes were melded together, and -- give me a chance before lambasting me -- I thought of how he was like Frank Zappa. Obviously not the same sound (it's hard to dance to much of Zappa's work, it's darn near impossible to NOT dance to a Prince song, even the slow jams), but an irrepressible experimentation and the absolute requirement of brilliant musicianship (as well as the quirky voices and occasionally silly keyboards/sound effects). Just a thought.

Think I better dance now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 11:28 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo17 View Post
I think one measure of an "artist" is what others can do with their work. Prince's "Kiss" is OK by me, but certainly not his best or my favorite. However, the Tom Jones/Art of Noise version just blows me out of the water. It is sooooo very good, and I think that reflects well on his Purpleness for crafting such a great song in the first place.

I was listening to The Current's Prince alphabetical marathon today and had an out-of-the-blue thought. Because they were not doing it in chronological order, a wide range of Prince modes were melded together, and -- give me a chance before lambasting me -- I thought of how he was like Frank Zappa. Obviously not the same sound (it's hard to dance to much of Zappa's work, it's darn near impossible to NOT dance to a Prince song, even the slow jams), but an irrepressible experimentation and the absolute requirement of brilliant musicianship (as well as the quirky voices and occasionally silly keyboards/sound effects). Just a thought.

Think I better dance now...

oddly enough the day Prince died when the Current was playing a wide selection of his music, I also thought of Zappa and how he made it sound and look so easy like he was just goofing on us, Prince had the same knack for making it look easy, like he wasn't even trying that hard but went into all sorts of jazz, rock, soul, pop, fusion sort of thing

Old 04-24-2016, 04:12 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
I wasn't really a Prince Fan, however, just found out today, what a generous and kind soul he was, he did so much for other people. An incredible human being.

RIP

Old 04-24-2016, 04:19 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Keep telling yourself that--and ignoring reports popping up all over the place. Ignorance is bliss.

Then proceed to make excuses when you're satisfied that the reports are true.
Responsible, reasonable people choose to wait for the autopsy for the final cause of death results. It would be ignorant to do otherwise IMO. Keep telling yourself otherwise, though, if you prefer that over the conclusions of the professionals doing the autopsy/toxicology tests. Early "reports" could be right, but they could also be proven false or exaggerated, too.

(BTW, I also remember initial reports implicating an innocent person during an incident at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics that were proven to be false. I was so sure he was guilty and so was much of the public. That taught me to have more respect and patience going forward. The results will be provided soon enough).

Old 04-24-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
We took a stroll to First Ave last night and the place was hoppin'. There was a makeshift memorial below his star on the building's wall full of purple flowers, balloons and pictures. Of course everyone had out their phones taking selfies. That was really the only thing that bothered me about the whole thing. Could we please just party like it's 1999....you know, before there were cell phones and selfies at every waking moment.
I missed the excitement by one week. Happened to be in downtown Minneapolis just a few blocks away seeing a Twins game at Target Field on April 14. Flew back home April 15. I still remember seeing "Purple Rain" on a VHS tape way back in the mid-80's. Particularly liked the songs "Let's go crazy" and "Raspberry beret". I admit I kind of lost track of his career/music starting in the late 1990's or so, but always believed he was one of our most talented and creative musicians and will definitely be missed by many! Died way too young at age 57. Have seen pictures online and TV coverage of the large crowds at First Avenue. Great tribute!

Last edited by chessgeek; 04-24-2016 at 04:43 PM..

Old 04-24-2016, 04:41 PM

117 posts, read 72,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Responsible, reasonable people choose to wait for the autopsy for the final cause of death results. It would be ignorant to do otherwise IMO. Keep telling yourself otherwise, though, if you prefer that over the conclusions of the professionals doing the autopsy/toxicology tests. Early "reports" could be right, but they could also be proven false or exaggerated, too.

(BTW, I also remember initial reports implicating an innocent person during an incident at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics that were proven to be false. I was so sure he was guilty and so was much of the public. That taught me to have more respect and patience going forward. The results will be provided soon enough).
Does calling someone irresponsible, unreasonable and ignorant really make you feel like you're on the high moral ground? It's the internet, precisely the place for this type of speculation imo.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3001 View Post
Does calling someone irresponsible, unreasonable and ignorant really make you feel like you're on the high moral ground? It's the internet, precisely the place for this type of speculation imo.
No. Does criticizing someone who prefers to wait for the FACTS from an autopsy over mere speculation really make you feel like you are on the high moral ground? I never called him names. Read the post again. I said jumping to premature conclusions is not responsible or reasonable IMO. (Statements and thought processes regarding this one matter, not the entire person). I said it is what reasonable people do IMO...nothing at all wrong with that.

Yes, it is the internet, but that does not mean we can't call someone on premature conclusions. The phrase "Ignorance is bliss' was first uttered by Delahanty and aimed at Ghengis. Selective judgement, sir. Delahanty shows disrespect. You are quiet. People dare reply to it. You attack them. That speaks volumes IMO.

Let's show just a little respect to someone who just died before jumping to conclusions. That should offend you more, but apparently not. The speculators may be correct or they could be wrong. Remember I said that in my first post, too, to be respectful toward those who believe otherwise and because it is possible. The results will be available soon.

Last edited by chessgeek; 04-24-2016 at 05:18 PM..

Old 04-24-2016, 05:14 PM

Let's all just conclude this "drug talk" by saying there are those of us that agree to disagree. I still don't know why anyone needs to reach an absolute conclusion before the autopsy/toxicology results are completed.

Let's stop the bickering over this now (both "sides" have the right to their views) and get back to respecting a remarkable musician/artist named Prince!

Old 04-24-2016, 07:14 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
People just have a need to dig for dirt. I say drop it - even if the autopsy shows he was prescription drugs. Leave it alone.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:41 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
People just have a need to dig for dirt. I say drop it - even if the autopsy shows he was prescription drugs. Leave it alone.
the first report that came out, said he was epileptic....and was give a shot or shots for Tamaflu, which doesn't mix well with this type of medical problem? And if that is the case, that is really sad....and maybe now they are trying to cover it up?

So that might mean the drug overdoes? Time will tell, but if he was using drugs, then I say, he's gone, doesn't matter any more.

and I know the drugs you must take for epileptic spells is very hard on the body, so as it is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul