Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2007, 01:35 PM

10 posts, read 36,084 times

Advertisements

I stop by the forum from time to time, the info has been insightful.

We are considering a move to the area with the job being in Chanhassen. What's the commute like from:
- Carver County areas such as Hamburg, and Norwood - Young America?
- Scott County areas between Shakopee & Savage?

Thanks for your reply...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 03:01 AM

132 posts, read 576,561 times
hi,

like you i am just researching the Twin Cities right now and don't live there yet,so the other helpful folks on here can tell you more. But I can give you a link I've found.

http://www.startribune.com/news/traffic/index.php

this monitors the traffic conditions and updates every few minutes or so complete with traffic camera shots and reports of any incidents slowing traffic. if you check it during morning or evening rush hour you could get a little idea where the "sore spots" are. the only problem is that the highways are just on the map by themselves so you have to compare it to a more detailed map of the city to figure where the highway exits and intersections are.

note there is a "travel times" link to the right that breaks it down in detail.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:13 AM

132 posts, read 576,561 times
just for starters until some of the locals can give you more info:

these are the mapquest distance/times (which are probably optimistic and for light traffic, no bad weather)

Shakopee Chanhassen 13 minutes, 6 miles
Savage Chanhassen 20 min, 16 miles
(these are shorter commutes but the route would be more within the metro area, so I'd guess the traffic would slow it more than coming from the west?)

Chanhassen Young America 30 min, 22 miles
Chanhassen Hamburg 37 min 24 miles

Old 02-09-2007, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Hopefully someone that actually drives these routes will pipe and add to your help.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:03 PM

bump...

We are almost positive the new job will start mid-July and based out of Eden Praire.

So, a little mod on my original question, but what about commutes between Eden Praire and:
- Shakopee
- Chaska
- Savage

I've done the mapquest/internet driving estimates, I would prefer to have imperical reports. Thanks...

Old 04-14-2007, 06:24 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyBSimpson View Post
bump...

We are almost positive the new job will start mid-July and based out of Eden Praire.

So, a little mod on my original question, but what about commutes between Eden Praire and:
- Shakopee
- Chaska
- Savage

I've done the mapquest/internet driving estimates, I would prefer to have imperical reports. Thanks...

Depending on where in Eden Prairie-15 minutes or so from Shakopee/Chaska and probably 20-30 from Savage. Chaska could be as little as 5 minutes if you are working in the far western side of EP.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:52 PM

8 posts, read 31,645 times
Default Considering Carver County as well...

This is a nice jump-off for a more general question I have about Carver County. I have noticed the home prices are less there. I also think that Chaska may have a quaint/historic downtown area--to which my wife would be attracted. I have read some random entries in the local Chaska newspaper and the jist is that there is an effort to improve the downtown area. My concern (I have looked up addresses of homes in the Chaska area and viewed what satellite imagery is available for the area around those homes) is that there is what appears to be a rather large trailer park right next to the brand new community center that was built. Comments?

I hear a lot of commentary on the Eagan/Apple Valley/Lakeville area but am not really interested in living on the other side of the river. My understanding is that the bridges across the river become choke points during rush hour. I have focused more on the Plymouth/Wayzata/Maple Grove (Wayzata Schools) and Chaska/Chanhassen/Victoria (Chaska schools) areas.

It might sound trivial but I need to find a good Dojo for my son to continue his Tae Kwon Do Black Belt training. It seems the one in Maple Grove (B.Y. Lee's) might be well-suited to his current experience. We also need a good gymnastics and ballet (dance) school for my daughter. And, we are trying to simplify by buying a smaller home in a great location for under $350K. We have remodeled several and made a good profit turning them a few years later.

A technique I have used, silly as it may seem, is to map the Starbucks in the city. The stores tend to be placed in an area with a demographic to which I fit. I noticed downtown Wayzata has one.

For what it is worth,
hsb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul