Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 05:30 PM

168 posts, read 256,477 times

Advertisements

I have seen discussions here and elsewhere about some parts of Bloomington being less desirable than others. The same commentary has been said about other burbs.

I was driving through Bloomington the other day and it struck me why. Driving down France everything is nice, green, landscaped. The sidewalks and streets are well cared for. I went east down Old Shakopee and you could see a massive change about Penn Ave. The landscaping stops, roads and sidewalks are less nice or in disrepair. There is much more industrial mixed in and everything is concrete and old strip malls. Many of the homes are more modest but people seem to keep them up for the most part. It appears like the city just stops caring about Penn Ave. I noticed the same thing driving down American Blvd.

So how the city cares for an area can have a major impact on how it is perceived and what the property values end up being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 03:32 PM

117 posts, read 72,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpointyboots View Post
I have seen discussions here and elsewhere about some parts of Bloomington being less desirable than others. The same commentary has been said about other burbs.

I was driving through Bloomington the other day and it struck me why. Driving down France everything is nice, green, landscaped. The sidewalks and streets are well cared for. I went east down Old Shakopee and you could see a massive change about Penn Ave. The landscaping stops, roads and sidewalks are less nice or in disrepair. There is much more industrial mixed in and everything is concrete and old strip malls. Many of the homes are more modest but people seem to keep them up for the most part. It appears like the city just stops caring about Penn Ave. I noticed the same thing driving down American Blvd.

So how the city cares for an area can have a major impact on how it is perceived and what the property values end up being.
It's important to understand that Bloomington is essentially two cities, West Bloomington and East Bloomington. This is due to both to the massive size of Bloomington and the demographics. West Bloomington is one of the most affluent areas in the Twin Cities. It can best be described to outsiders as East Edina, as the homes/demographics/schools are similar and they border one another. East Bloomington has always been the blue collar side of Bloomington. Not bad by any means, but not the affluent White collar demographic of West Bloomington. East Bloomington is best compared to Richfield. It tends to me more diverse as minorities looking to escape South Mpls can find affordable homes there and the airport/MOA/hotels offer many decent paying blue collar job opportunities as well.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:42 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Crime, high or low, that is the difference.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:46 PM

My point was that the city is treating it like two different cities in the way they maintain the public spaces. Blue collar or an offshoot of Edina, either way the city could maintain the roads and public spaces in a more equitable manner.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:02 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpointyboots View Post
My point was that the city is treating it like two different cities in the way they maintain the public spaces. Blue collar or an offshoot of Edina, either way the city could maintain the roads and public spaces in a more equitable manner.
You know, that's a really good point. I'd understand if both sides were being maintained well or poorly, but not one over the other. Doesn't the tax basis cover the entire city, or do residents of "West Bloomington" pay a different tax basis than residents of "East Bloomington"? Aside from West Bloomington residents being in a higher bracket WITHIN the Bloomington tax basis, I doubt it.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:08 PM

264 posts, read 313,999 times
...you could see a massive change about Penn Ave. The landscaping stops, roads and sidewalks are less nice or in disrepair.

I have observed a change right around Penn Ave as well, though to me the change in the size and upkeep level of houses was more pronounced, compared to the city maintenance and landscaping level.

Of course, of one looks at Minneapolis and St. Paul, they have neighborhoods that are even farther apart than East and West Bloomington in appearance, SES of residents, crime level, etc., though the boundaries tend to be less clear, and often align with freeways.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:29 PM

55 posts, read 79,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvoyd View Post
...you could see a massive change about Penn Ave. The landscaping stops, roads and sidewalks are less nice or in disrepair.

I have observed a change right around Penn Ave as well, though to me the change in the size and upkeep level of houses was more pronounced, compared to the city maintenance and landscaping level.

Of course, of one looks at Minneapolis and St. Paul, they have neighborhoods that are even farther apart than East and West Bloomington in appearance, SES of residents, crime level, etc., though the boundaries tend to be less clear, and often align with freeways.
Yes, this.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:56 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,529 times
It's a chicken-and-egg situation.

Poorer people move into areas where property values are lower because that is where they can afford to live. Less well off populations have less ability to advocate for themselves with city planners--they have less free time to attend meetings, fewer personal connections to the elite that they can call upon, etc. Therefore, beautification dollars tend to go to the better-connected, wealthier areas whose residents demand them. The "nice" areas get nicer, the "bad" areas get worse, and the cycle is perpetuated.

I can pretty much guarantee that the city of Bloomington didn't arbitrarily designate one part of the town to be the "slum" and another part to be the "fancy" area. Those were conditions that developed organically.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:56 PM

I know Bloomington has a program to help people upkeep homes who need some financial help so they at least realize somewhat there is a problem. It was specifically designated for the east side.
The tax rate is the same for the entire suburb so the commentary about wealthier areas being squeeky wheels may have some merit.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:18 AM

264 posts, read 313,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
It's a chicken-and-egg situation.

Poorer people move into areas where property values are lower because that is where they can afford to live. Less well off populations have less ability to advocate for themselves with city planners--they have less free time to attend meetings, fewer personal connections to the elite that they can call upon, etc. Therefore, beautification dollars tend to go to the better-connected, wealthier areas whose residents demand them. The "nice" areas get nicer, the "bad" areas get worse, and the cycle is perpetuated.

I can pretty much guarantee that the city of Bloomington didn't arbitrarily designate one part of the town to be the "slum" and another part to be the "fancy" area. Those were conditions that developed organically.
Interesting. I was following the recent developments at the Minneapolis Parks and Recreation Board (they were accused of racism in spending funds and promoting/punishing employees), and a follow-up article quotes per capita spending in North, Northeast, South and Southwest Minneapolis. "Parks and Rec allocated $243 per person in north Minneapolis from 2010-14. During the same time, Southwest received $85 for each of its 120,376 people, and South received $83 for each of the 136,160 residents. [...] Northeast received a curious $461 per capita for 66,915 people, but that discrepancy can be explained by the board’s acquisition and development of 5.5 miles of the Mississippi shoreline ... it doesn't have anything to do with neighborhood parks."

So in Minneapolis between 2010-2014, the poorest area (North) received about 3x per capita in P&R funding compared to the better-off South and Southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul