Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 08:27 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,360 times

Advertisements

Thank you SWCM,

Right now is 101 F here in Concord, so don't think I will miss that! I'm actually originally from Canada, so I know cold weather, I too miss the seasons and know what kind of weather I'm getting myself into, which is not bad for most of the year. Makes you appreciate the warm weather. My wife lived up north with me too, so she knows what she's getting into. And kids have too much fun to even notice it's cold outside, lol. Really my biggest draw right now is the affordable housing, schools and employment. In here, employment is good, but housing and schools suck! In here, you have whole cities of rich people (Lafayette, Alama, Danville) and cities of low income people (Pittsburgh, Antioch, Richmond, etc). And the cities in the middle like Concord, Brentwoood and Pleasent Hill are just not affordable. So I really have no choice at the moment unless we want to continue living with the in-laws, but it's just not feasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 08:41 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
In the Bay Area and housing is impossible here and wages don't reflect cost of living for the working class. Been researching affordable cities with good work prospects and good schools and Minneapolis popped up on radar. Oddly enough, wages are almost the same in Minneapolis as here in the Bay Area for my skill set (construction). And housing is actually within reach in Minneapolis.

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out if this move is something I need to do for my family, because my wife has her family here and we would be leaving them behind and moving to a city where we don't know anybody. But if it means good schools, a house with a yard and and better standard of living, I think it's worth it.

You think I would be making the right move? (Leaving family behind that is, for possible better life)
Consider the winters here, outside construction is limited several months a year up in the frozen North.
Have you checked more affordable Calif. locations, outside the Bay area? I certainly think you should before moving so far away which involves such a drastic climate change.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:32 AM

Thx for reply Jan,

I did kinda worry about things slowing down in the winter, especially after Christmas, but there is companies hiring in Minneapolis saying they keep their guys busy year round. Oddly enough, here in sunny California, construction slows down for us around after Christmas time anyways because people are waiting for their tax returns to start new projects. Kinda sucks when your paid hourly but not guaranteed full hours, especially when you live in an expensive locale.

I looked at areas outside of Bay Area in California and either it's affordable, but not enough work, or it's expensive but lots of work. Same applies to Sacramento, housing in a decent area with decent schools is still out of my budget.

California is just not a blue-collar friendly state in my mind, and the stats prove it... Mapping Where American Workers Spend the Most on Housing - CityLab

Old 06-04-2016, 11:34 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I know a few people who work in construction and they do well. While obviously there are no guarantees, the market is certainly booming right now.

We're not the cheapest metro area in the nation (there are plenty of places cheaper), but the economy and the wages here are also pretty good.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:10 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,013 times
Yeah good tradespeople and contractors are turning down work because there's a lot of it (obviously depending on trade, quality etc).

Old 06-08-2016, 01:50 PM

87 posts, read 105,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdude_08 View Post
I moved to Minneapolis from San Francisco. Twin Cities traffic is nowhere near the same level as northern or southern california.

Exactly. Even on the worst day here, its better than the best traffic day in SoCal. That was my first thought when I read his post, too.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Yeah good tradespeople and contractors are turning down work because there's a lot of it (obviously depending on trade, quality etc).
That's good to know, any idea what they are paying Journeymen trades people?

Old 06-09-2016, 05:27 AM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
That's good to know, any idea what they are paying Journeymen trades people?
Friend of mine started with a smaller pipe laying company late last summer as a laborer (he had worked a little in that field many years ago, so he was familiar with it) and he's at $35 hr and currently is working 65 hr weeks.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:13 AM

30 posts, read 27,449 times
You will definitely be able to afford more home here in MN. Concord estimated avg home value is over $500K which would be considered luxury here in the TC metro where the median sales price is around $240K.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:49 PM

162 posts, read 213,012 times
I don't know...I think Ca>Mn might be too extreme, considering you do not have any family here (usually a draw to come or stay in MN). Seasonal affective disorder is no joke, trust me. But I wish you the best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul