Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 10:07 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,275,942 times

Advertisements

In the Bay Area and housing is impossible here and wages don't reflect cost of living for the working class. Been researching affordable cities with good work prospects and good schools and Minneapolis popped up on radar. Oddly enough, wages are almost the same in Minneapolis as here in the Bay Area for my skill set (construction). And housing is actually within reach in Minneapolis.

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out if this move is something I need to do for my family, because my wife has her family here and we would be leaving them behind and moving to a city where we don't know anybody. But if it means good schools, a house with a yard and and better standard of living, I think it's worth it.

You think I would be making the right move? (Leaving family behind that is, for possible better life)

Last edited by Eli34; 05-25-2016 at 10:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 10:23 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,794,860 times
Housing is definitely much cheaper here, but it's also nice to be by family. It's easier to afford living in an area with good public schools here, but if it was me, I wouldn't move just for a bigger house or a yard; I can see doing it if you're stuck in a place with poor schools or a really long commute. Or if your wife is supportive; I think a relocation is something that ideally you'd both want.

If you do make the move, Minneapolis is a great place for families, and it's SO much cheaper than the Bay Area... at least for most things. I think our grocery bill is higher here than it was there, and I miss having inexpensive, quality fresh produce year-round.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:41 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,275,942 times
The only neighborhoods we could afford are the ones with the bad schools in here. Unfortunately. Either that, or send them to private school and I am against that. Am a strong advocate for public schools.

Traffic is pretty bad here, but I'm used to it.

Last edited by Eli34; 05-25-2016 at 10:50 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 12:41 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,260,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
The only neighborhoods we could afford are the ones with the bad schools in here. Unfortunately. Either that, or send them to private school and I am against that. Am a strong advocate for public schools.

Traffic is pretty terrible in the Twin Cities, too, now that road construction season is here.

And there are plenty of bad schools here as well. If I had school age children, I would either home-school them or try to find a good private school.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:27 AM

810 posts, read 855,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
Traffic is pretty terrible in the Twin Cities, too, now that road construction season is here.

And there are plenty of bad schools here as well. If I had school age children, I would either home-school them or try to find a good private school.
I don't know where you are getting your information on schools. I have read many many posts about public schools in the twin cities and MOST are all rated very well. Of course in any urban area you will have schools that re not as good but like I said overall all the thread about moving to MSP with families people here have mostly positive things about the schools. But I guess you do what is best for your family personally I think home schooling is the worse thing you can do. Kids need to socialize and be with other kids in a school setting . Time away from parents. Kids need to go out and experience life not spend most of the day at home on a computer learning school lessons. Yes technology is an important thing these days and most schools use it to some extent. I don't care if you say well they do this and that activity it is NOT even close to the same thing. that's part of the problem with these kids they have ZERO social skills. Getting good grades is important but there are many things going to school can teach and help kids to learn to adjust to real life.

Where I live we have good schools but if i could afford a private school I would think about it at least when she is in high school especially if she will be interested in college. Problem with private school is they re so freaking expensive middle class families can't afford it. Unless you have a genius kid then they will bend over backwards for your kid to attend. Same with private colleges.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:31 AM

2,586 posts, read 2,086,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post

Rush hour traffic is pretty bad here, worse than it was when I lived in Los Angeles, IMO (I left there 15 years ago). The issue here is simply poor design for the most part. The Twin Cities' system worked well for the traffic patterns and load of the '70s and '80s. However, the sprawl (I am one of them) and increased load over the past 30 years has left it an embarrassment. The truly sad part is that it could be addressed and dealt with, but there is no political will (even business groups have lobbied for an increased gas tax because of lost time to congestion and lost money to vehicle repairs from Twin Cities freeways).

Rant aside, on the plus side is that for the most part it is limited to rush hour traffic here. A 45-55 minute rush hour commute could be 15-20 minutes off-rush. Life is even better if you live close enough that you can take to the surface roads instead. Within Minneapolis and St. Paul, there is very good mass transit - great bus system and now the Blue Line, Green Line and Northstar light rail options. When winter really hits, a 45-minute rush hour commute on freeways can easily double, but the buses (driving on shoulders) seem to stick pretty close the their schedules and the light rail doesn't miss a beat from what I have experienced (unless someone runs into a train, literally).

Outside M-SP, the buses become trickier. And there are a LOT of people in the 'burbs (I am one of them) and outstate work in M-SP, so lots of cars from that. Again, though, this is rush hour. Add to it some bottlenecks due to few points crossing rivers on the south and east sides.

So, location makes a big difference. You are in construction, so my guess is that would mean driving regardless, right? I *see* a lot - and I mean a lot of construction in M-SP both in commercial and road work. The number of cranes I see on my drive in-and-out of M-SP increases each summer. And I know that my 'burb and surrounding 'burbs on the east side are building lots of new residential subdivisions. I would guess that similar things are happening on other sides of the Twin Cities, but someone can chime in on that. And parts of St. Paul are going through big renovations in neighborhoods.

Good luck on your search - hope you find what makes you and your family happy. It that is the Twin Cities, good to have you in the mix.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:29 AM

264 posts, read 315,600 times
Good luck in your search. I had several opportunities to relocate to the Bay Area from the Twin Cities, and the increases in the cost of living, worse schools, longer commutes would (for me) never be offset by a somewhat higher salary and a much nicer climate. Basically, one can support a family on a single salary in the Twin Cities; in the Bay Area, two professionals might just scrape by unless they bought property 10 or 20 years ago.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:04 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,780,834 times
Would I personally stay in a locale with crappier schools, outrageous traffic, no prospects of ever owning a home? The answer to that is no. I would move to BFE before I stayed in a place with all the aforementioned characteristics. Kids are adaptable. You can move when they are grown up. Take vacays to see family a few times a year. Sell your home when kids are out of school and move closer to family.

However there really is no underestimating the power of Happy life= Happy wife says the lady who with my husband moved across the country near my family. However he did sent out his resume to where he is from too so it was an equal opportunity for either place. I've heard and seen marriages fall apart when one spouse is more on board with moving than the other. There is really no dry cut answer and it sounds more like something you and your wife really need to sit down and talk about in depth. What it means for you financially and the kind of life you will have if you move vs. being by family but not having much to show.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:05 PM

242 posts, read 434,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post

I moved to Minneapolis from San Francisco. Twin Cities traffic is nowhere near the same level as northern or southern california.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:33 PM

264 posts, read 315,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdude_08 View Post
I moved to Minneapolis from San Francisco. Twin Cities traffic is nowhere near the same level as northern or southern california.
Having spent about a month total in the LA area in 2015, I have to agree, at least about Southern California. Then again, Twin Cities are about 1/4 size of LA, population-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul