Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:28 AM

21 posts, read 73,515 times

Advertisements

BreaOC, thank you for suggesting St. Louis Park. I will add that to my list of areas to investigate when I come out there for a visit!

golfgal, I have heard a bit about Stillwater here on these boards and really think that would be something very appealing to my husband. I did find out last night that there's a TJ in Woodbury, not too far from where I'd be working, so I can manage that at least Are there opportunities to own a home with a bit of land (at least half an acre) out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 12:58 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssAndDee View Post
BreaOC, thank you for suggesting St. Louis Park. I will add that to my list of areas to investigate when I come out there for a visit!

golfgal, I have heard a bit about Stillwater here on these boards and really think that would be something very appealing to my husband. I did find out last night that there's a TJ in Woodbury, not too far from where I'd be working, so I can manage that at least Are there opportunities to own a home with a bit of land (at least half an acre) out there?
Yes, there is a LOT of opportunities to own a lot of a 1/2 acre or so pretty much anywhere in the suburbs, most lots are in that range give or take. There are several developments around Stillwater that have 2+ acre lots too. St. Louis Park to Woodbury would not be the best commute but it is a cute area.

Other places to look around Woodbury, which you would HATE because it is exactly what you describe, cookie cutter houses with strip mall after strip mall, would be Afton, Bayport, Lakeland, and Hudson, WI. You could even venture out toward Hastings and Prescott, WI as other areas to investigate.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:43 PM

284 posts, read 1,657,651 times
Quote:
I just found this forum and am so thankful for it, as we are contemplating a move - from Detroit too! Atul, I'm not sure in what part of Metro Detroit you live, but I certainly don't consider Oakland County "cheap real estate" by any means...

Getting back to my situation, I'm in the very preliminary stages of considering a move to MSP. I will be in the area in a few weeks and would like an idea of towns or neighborhoods to visit.

We're mid-30's marrieds, DINKs, two dogs. Prefer being close to a downtown area with a main street (non-chain restaurants and independent boutiques, maybe an art house theater) but don't need to live right in an urban neighborhood - we're doing that right now and want more of a back yard for the pooches, and enough space that we don't hear our neighbors at their grill.

We really dislike subdivisions/planned developments with houses that all look the same. Don't want to spend my time in traffic on a three-lane road fronting strip mall after strip mall. My husband, if he has his way, would love to be out in the country, but I need to be remotely close to a sushi restaurant and, ideally, a Trader Joes . We obviously have a bit of clarifying of our priorities before finding our home!

My job would be in Woodbury. I need to keep the commute down to 15-20 minutes. Is there such a thing as a reverse commute in the TC?

Thank you for your suggestions!
Hi - I previously lived in Oakland County (Birmingham, Beverly Hills) and now live in southwest Minneapolis. If you let me know the city in Michigan you lived in or type of place you're looking for here, I might be able to give you a frame of reference... For example, I would liken Woodbury to Canton or maybe Novi (but with less shopping). And yes, lots of people reverse commute - commuting seems to happen in every direction here.

Last edited by sugarbeet; 02-25-2008 at 01:59 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbeet View Post
Hi - I previously lived in Oakland County (Birmingham, Beverly Hills) and now live in southwest Minneapolis. If you let me know the city in Michigan you lived in or type of place you're looking for here, I might be able to give you a frame of reference...
sugarbeet you read my mind - I was JUST going to request some Oakland County equivalents for anyone who's lived in both places!

I live in the Royal Oak area right now. We spend most of our time in Royal Oak or Birmingham for dinners out and shopping/groceries, but we don't live in either city. I like the vibes of both of those downtown areas, but again, don't need to live right in town. Rochester/Rochester Hills is another town that comes to mind for what we'd like - although getting into and out of that area is a nightmare.

I was thinking of a different neighborhood when I first heard St. Louis Park Unfortunately that would be too far out for me.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Other places to look around Woodbury, which you would HATE because it is exactly what you describe, cookie cutter houses with strip mall after strip mall, would be Afton, Bayport, Lakeland, and Hudson, WI. You could even venture out toward Hastings and Prescott, WI as other areas to investigate.
If worse comes to worst and we look in subdivisions, I do like places that have a mix of styles. I was googling around this weekend and came across this development, Spirit of Brandjten Farm - definitely out of the search area (and price range!!), but I like how at least these homes have a sort of historical reference instead of the Americanized French Colonial look that's everywhere.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:24 PM

I think you'd love Southwest Minneapolis/Edina, but that would be a rather long commute to Woodbury and "with" traffic for a good portion of it.

What about St. Paul? I think some of those neighborhoods are terrific and so similar to Royal Oak/Birmingham (except much easier to get lost - no mile road grids ). I definitely would've considered St. Paul, but I work in Minnetonka and that commute would've been similar to Mpls to Woodbury.

The St. Paul neighborhoods that might have what you're looking for include: Mac-Groveland, Merriam Park, Como Park, St. Anthony Park, Highland Park - basically most of western St. Paul (not to be confused with West St. Paul - a different city).

It will be a bit of a commute from these parts of St. Paul to Woodbury, but I have generally found the commute here is easier than in Detroit Metro (depending where you worked) and there's less traffic. But according to my Rochester Hills-native husband, the drivers are worse here.

I'm not sure if you saw the edit I made to my previous post - that Woodbury is like Canton or Novi. so...nice community but maybe not what you're looking for...

Not sure if you've spent much time here, but I think you will find that it gets "rural" very fast here compared to metro Detroit. So it would be possible for your husband to get his taste of the country and not be very far from civilization.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
If worse comes to worst and we look in subdivisions, I do like places that have a mix of styles. I was googling around this weekend and came across this development, Spirit of Brandjten Farm - definitely out of the search area (and price range!!), but I like how at least these homes have a sort of historical reference instead of the Americanized French Colonial look that's everywhere.
The new homes here do seem to have some character to the exteriors - lots of Craftsman influence, which is nice. If you do decide that a short commute is worth the trade off - and you like Brandjten - maybe look at Stonemill Farms in Woodbury. At least it's not acres of beige cul-de-sacs as far as the eye can see. Many of the homes are less expensive than Brandjten but it's got a similar feel.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:00 PM

sugarbeet, yes I did get the sense that Edina could be the perfect location for us, but for the distance to Woodbury Just from the perception on this board I can draw parallels with Birmingham with its older homes and chi-chi areas. Thank you for the suggestions on the St. Paul neighborhoods - I know next to nothing about that side of the TCs as I originally thought I'd be focusing more on southern Minneapolis suburbs. I'll look into Stonemill Farms, too! I am VERY excited to get out of Metro Detroit traffic!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:58 PM

Any input on Mendota Heights, Cottage Grove, Inver Grove Heights? Those seem to be a bit closer to Woodbury but I don't recall much being said about MH here, and I think what I read about CG wasn't too glowing.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:16 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
I lived in Mendota Heights when I was in high school and that is a nice area with a good mix of older (not Stillwater old but 1940's old) and new. It is a very established area so large trees, etc. It doesn't have the sidewalk system you will find in Stillwater or other areas so your walks will be on the city streets, which for the most part aren't busy but you will be walking through neighborhoods vs parks.

Inver Grove is a very convenient area but mostly new and surprisingly expensive, although there are some affordable places there too. The schools there aren't the best but since you don't have kids it doesn't matter. The traffic over the bridge to Woodbury isn't fun but that would be a reverse commute so not so bad.

I still think Stillwater fits everything you are looking for the best--especially in the town itself for a place with just a large yard or on the outskirts if you want more land. You will see people walking, running, biking, and skiiing (rollerskiing) all the time all over town.

I really dislike Cottage Grove. There are so many better options that it isn't even worth considering I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul