Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 2,724 times

Advertisements

I'd say a decent neighborhood in MSP is doable for you, with certain caveats. It won't be very big (~1000 sq ft give or take and 2, maybe 3 bedrooms). It will probably need at least some work. You may need to stretch your budget a little (hopefully have a decent down payment and negotiate on price). And it will take a little bit of time and diligent searching to find what you are looking for.

I haven't seen anyone mention south Minneapolis much yet. The whole quadrant of the city (basically south of 94, east of 35W, and west of the river) is generally safe, affordable, pretty nice, and has decent schools with several school options. There are a few areas where crime is a bit high that you might want to avoid, but mostly it's very family-friendly and a great area to live (I'm biased as we live just east of Lake Nokomis and really like the area). It has tons of amenities and beautiful parks, lakes, rivers, etc., and many good transit options. Very close to the airport too, which sounds like would be a benefit for you.

Here is a house new to the market that looks quite nice. In Seward neighborhood, which is a fun, walkable area. A little over your budget, but again, I always assume budgets can be stretched at least a little and prices can be negotiated: 2817 S 9th Street Minneapolis, MN 55406.

And I should mention that, despite some rude comments on this thread, MSP is an incredibly friendly area (although there can be a bit too much passive-aggressiveness, because nobody wants to seem mean). You should definitely check it out, seems like the type of area you are looking for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 01:55 PM

3 posts, read 2,724 times
Oh, have you seen the movie "Away We Go?" If not, I highly recommend it. Great movie, and your situation sounds very similar to the story line. :-)

Old 09-15-2016, 08:48 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,267,783 times
I'm interested in South Minneapolis, is there a lot of families living there, (particularly in Seward and Longfellow) and what are these neighborhoods like? Looking for liberal-minded, walkable type neighborhoods with bookstores and cafes, etc. I have two kids though, so it would be nice to have other families around.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:22 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
I'm interested in South Minneapolis, is there a lot of families living there, (particularly in Seward and Longfellow) and what are these neighborhoods like? Looking for liberal-minded, walkable type neighborhoods with bookstores and cafes, etc. I have two kids though, so it would be nice to have other families around.
Seward and Longfellow don't have the amenities and walkability that some MPLS neighborhoods do. They are liberal neighborhoods, as Seward specifically supports the U of M from a housing perspective. Seward is up and coming, but parts do still look a bit overgrown. I would stay away from Franklin as a quick rule of thumb. While I'm sure there are plenty of families there, I've not necessarily known them to be family first neighborhoods.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:46 AM

948 posts, read 920,290 times
Prices are artificially inflated right now because of the damn investors.

But hopefully prices should drop around November, like they usually do.
If they don't, be careful. Experts are predicting a drop in housing prices in 2017, so you don't want to overpay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul