Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 04:18 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,455 times

Advertisements

Hi all- My brother and his wife have enlisted my help ( I think he should get his own account, but whatever) He has gotten a lot of positive feedback from prospective employers in the Twin Cities area, so they decided to move there, then find work-They have 3 years living expenses saved up, but would rather not go through that. All they are looking for is a 1 bedroom apartment in a safe area, takes cats, garage, under $900, (would love to have a w/d in the unit, but that's proven impossible to get) but after calling 75 places, they were told the soonest a 1 bedroom will be open is May Feb 2017!!
First of all, why is it THAT hard to find what they want, and my second question is where else should they look to find rentals? So far they just used Apartments.Com and Rent.Com, but maybe there's a better source that taps the "hidden" housing market. They only openings they found were for $675 but as you can imagine, for that cost in the Cities, they area was a bit rough, to say the least. I refuse to believe what they are asking for is THAT difficult to find.
Are there any suggestions as to a better place to search? Thanks all! and Go Packers!! oops sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 04:38 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,885,556 times
Check padmapper.com

Honestly, they are kind of looking for a needle in a haystack. They are looking for something at over 1/3 cheaper than average, that takes cats AND offers a garage. That is by definition a subset of a subset of a subset. Can they drop the garage requirement? That's probably the biggest deal killer.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:41 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,752,250 times
Craigslist

Old 09-12-2016, 06:21 PM

292 posts, read 891,963 times
What do you consider a rough area? I did a search on Craigslist of NE Minneapolis zip code 55418 and 55413 and found 50 plus properties for rent below $1000. The only part of their wish list they may have to sacrifice is the garage. But even that is do able.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
Check padmapper.com

Honestly, they are kind of looking for a needle in a haystack. They are looking for something at over 1/3 cheaper than average, that takes cats AND offers a garage. That is by definition a subset of a subset of a subset. Can they drop the garage requirement? That's probably the biggest deal killer.
I'm sure they can-the only reason for the garage was to protect their car from the cold. So far, they find more with garage options or underground parking, than they are with w/d in the units. Are they really asking for that much? I would think given the severity of MN winters, that at least covered parking would be readily available. They are also no sure which 1st ring suburbs are safe. They are also interested in Delano, Hastings, Coon Rapids, but I told them the commute might be long

Old 09-13-2016, 06:49 AM

540 posts, read 1,097,369 times
Covered parking and garages are pretty rare for cheaper apartments, at least in the city - many buildings do not even have dedicated parking lots besides a few spaces, so you will have to park on the street. The cold shouldn't really be an issue if you take care of your car.

In unit washers/dryers tend to be in newer buildings, which are probably out of that price range.

The first ring suburbs are safe for the most part.

There are a lot of houses being sold in the metro area - people can't afford the payments and are still defaulting on mortgages - so they are looking to move into apartments. Also a lot of younger people ("hipsters") want to live in the city, so there hasn't been as many people moving out of apartments in the city to houses in the suburbs, so there have been a lot of new "luxury" buildings put up as well as old cheaper ones getting renovated, so the overall average rent has been rising the past few years.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:07 AM

760 posts, read 884,270 times
Only about 6 months ago I had a 1 bedroom right in Loring Park with garage parking and a great downtown view for $905. Washer and Dryer was not in unit, but they had a nice facility in the building and well as a Dunn Brothers downstairs.

Check out Park Terrace Apartment...I had a lot of issues with management, but overall upkeep and maintenance was actually pretty good.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:06 PM

416 posts, read 560,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Hi all- My brother and his wife have enlisted my help ( I think he should get his own account, but whatever) He has gotten a lot of positive feedback from prospective employers in the Twin Cities area, so they decided to move there, then find work-They have 3 years living expenses saved up, but would rather not go through that. All they are looking for is a 1 bedroom apartment in a safe area, takes cats, garage, under $900, (would love to have a w/d in the unit, but that's proven impossible to get) but after calling 75 places, they were told the soonest a 1 bedroom will be open is May Feb 2017!!
First of all, why is it THAT hard to find what they want, and my second question is where else should they look to find rentals? So far they just used Apartments.Com and Rent.Com, but maybe there's a better source that taps the "hidden" housing market. They only openings they found were for $675 but as you can imagine, for that cost in the Cities, they area was a bit rough, to say the least. I refuse to believe what they are asking for is THAT difficult to find.
Are there any suggestions as to a better place to search? Thanks all! and Go Packers!! oops sorry
Well school just started so a lot of apartments got snapped up for students and recent grads. Twin Cities has a LOT of colleges. It's going to be tougher to find a place this time of year. Second, nix the garage for the metro area. Might have better luck in suburbs - St. Louis Park, Golden Valley, Hopkins, etc.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:32 PM

Thanks all!! He told me today that he's finding the 1 bedrooms but that the earliest available is November-not a thing earlier so far

Old 09-15-2016, 09:52 AM

264 posts, read 314,221 times
I was recently asked to help a colleague moving from overseas to look for an apartment in St Paul and the NE suburbs. At least in the suburbs (Roseville/Shoreview/Maplewood/New Brighton/Arden Hills), there were plenty of apartments under $1000 with garages, with availability in October 2016.

The areas themselves are nice; I was a little surprised to find multiple negative reviews of the apartment buildings, with tenants complaining about slow response to maintenance issues, and noisy and dirty neighbors. Not sure how widespread these problems are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul