Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 04:53 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNConsumer View Post
With all due respect, I think some people do not understand the concept of discrimination.

To clarify, I would like to provide some definitions:

Discrimination - the unjust or prejudicial treatment.
Linguistic discrimination (also called linguicism and languagism) is the unfair treatment of an individual based solely on their use of language.

Highlights:

1. Linguistic discrimination does exist in Minnesota on much bigger scale compare to New York City, where it does not exist.

2. Generally Minnesotans expect anyone with an accent to be less educated than the person who makes that conclusion.

3. It is perfectly fine for Minnesotans to make jokes about someone who speaks with accent. Example when someone makes a type, instead of saying "you made a typo" , say nothing or make a fun of that typo.

4. If you have an authority, it is fine to use that authority to enforce some disciplinary action against someone who speaks with an accent and may not fully understand what is going all.

5. Everyone in Minnesota MUST speak ENGLISH, or "go back , where you came from" .

6. If you are at work and communicating with your colleague who is native in your first language makes you more productive, you must not use that language as Minnesotans may get offended by that.

Please kindly refrain from giving advises how I should change myself. If you can, please stay within the topic and share you honest opinion. Think if you hear someone speaking differently from how you speak, does that bother you?

Thanks !
wait...you are talking about those husker dus and their ridiculous Lundegaard accents aren't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 03:42 PM

6 posts, read 8,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
Poor baby. You need a hug?
Not from you, honey, I am taken...

Old 11-15-2016, 04:01 PM

6 posts, read 8,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmen View Post
Having been in leadership roles many times in my life I think I may have an answer-at least in my personal perspective.

I believe what is happening is a matter of respect rather than discrimination...now just hear me out. In management every employee must be treated equally, that being said the manager may have been asked by her boss to speak her language only in personal situations or the manager chose to do this from her own personal experience.

The truth is that the other employees WILL feel left out and maybe jealous that the boss and this employee have a personal connection (although this is probably not true) simply because they literally "speak the same language". If you have ever been in a situation where everyone around you is using a different language and you do not understand (for me it is when I am getting a manicure!) you can understand how it may make you feel left out-so I believe this is your bosses way of respecting ALL of her employees and treating them equally.
Thank you for sharing your experience. It never bothers me when someone speaks another language, people speak English around me everyday.

I will share my story with you. When I feel someone is a normal person and we share common values, I start speaking in my native language to them. That happened many times as I try to always surround myself with great people and not to waste my time on someone who is not worth my attention.

As for that specific example, there are categories of immigrants (I am an emigrant) , who try jump out of their skin to become "american" ( as brand). That rather makes them look funny. I also think that is some kind of psychological issues as well. That might require a different discussion "are women bad leaders?" or " In Minnesota you are hired for who you know and not for what you know"

I like people for "who they are" and not for "who they will never be".

In the world there are many languages, but only one is universal - "smile".

Old 11-28-2016, 05:00 PM

15 posts, read 10,535 times
I am a Minnesotan - I have a funny accent that I like ti extenuate to be funny. The movie "Fargo" offended me. I am full blooded Scandinavian and love me some lefsa - and I am awesome. However I am one of a kind.

I am afraid that you have been dealing with the worst kind of people-not Minnesotans just PEOPLE-ignorant,small minded, still living in daddy's basement planning the next rally. I don't know where you live but I highly suggest you move to UPTOWN! The true minneapple-this area is has a hugely diverse population with an amazing culture - and I am pretty sure there are no REDNECKS allowed!

Here is what you do - quit that crappy job, move to uptown - join a band - and read this book everyday until all the dots fall (you will only understand the last line once you have read this - I wish I could attach it for you

"you are special" by Max Lucado here is a youtube link -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15QuHygLwFU

if link does not work just go to you tube and put info in.

I swear this is the best advise I have ever given - I am pretty sure it came directly from heaven! lol

see you in the next life

Old 12-07-2016, 10:38 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,944 times
Downtown....not so much.

In Bloomington (Mall of America) and suburbs...yes!

I have a Boston/Northeastern accent despite never living there because my elementary school teachers largely transferred from that area. But I think it has more to do with my racial ambigious appearance where I had shop clerks following me because I Have shopping bags (it is a mall so of course I and everyone else will have shopping bags) and asking me where I am from (I am American but my parents are from Mexico) and do not believe me because I do not look very Amerindian and a bit lighter skin (even though not every Mexican looks the same).

They reported me to their Mall security claiming that I am Turkish or Middle Eastern (Muslim) when I am not and was followed and the coat I bought and tried on in the changing room was frisked to see if I input anything on it and was followed to the light rail station near the mall...this all happened a week and a half ago.

It reminded me why I have not visited the MOA for seven years now. I was hoping their discriminatory security theater died down but it has not.

Last edited by FBF; 12-07-2016 at 10:56 PM..

Old 12-08-2016, 04:41 PM

13 posts, read 22,142 times
I am German. Moved here from NYC. Lot of passive aggressive "Minnesota nice" here, you need to be tough on the people !

Old 12-15-2016, 01:54 PM

38 posts, read 38,461 times
Quote:
In the past i had any possible linguistic discrimination starting with "your English is good" :
I never thought its discrimination. I was under the impression that its a compliment.

Quote:
One of the bosses is female who is originally from the same country as an employee. She refuses to speak to an employee in native language, however she feels free to have phone conversations with relatives or friends on the phone, etc.
Obviously She is in Work Relation with you as a sub-ordinate and English is business language. Where as her phone calls, its her personal, so whatever language is comfortable for her based on the other end she uses that. So whats the point here,

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmen View Post
In management every employee must be treated equally, that being said the manager may have been asked by her boss to speak her language only in personal situations or the manager chose to do this from her own personal experience.
Experience speaks volume

Quote:
In the world there are many languages, but only one is universal - "smile".
well said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul