Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 08:13 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Spending time getting upset about things that people have not done yet and may or may not do speaks for itself.
Did I sound upset?
I do not think so.

What speaks out for itself???

Having a discussion about what has happened in the past as a fact and discussing if it could happen again is not out of the ordinary.

Bad day??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 02:06 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
all the cops in Falcon Heights or anywhere else in this country have to do to get off of an unjustified shooting is state they feared for their life and away they skate

Yanez trial: With jury in 4th day of deliberations, here’s what witnesses said at trial – Twin Cities

Eric Torgerson
St. Paul firefighter and emergency medical technician who responded to the shooting. He watched officers roll Castile’s body onto a backboard to be loaded onto a gurney. It was at that time that he said he heard one officer yell “gun” before reaching deep into Castile’s right pocket to retrieve a pistol. “I physically saw his hand go into the pocket… I recall it being deep,” Torgerson testified.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:48 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
all the cops in Falcon Heights or anywhere else in this country have to do to get off of an unjustified shooting is state they feared for their life and away they skate

Yanez trial: With jury in 4th day of deliberations, here’s what witnesses said at trial – Twin Cities

Eric Torgerson
St. Paul firefighter and emergency medical technician who responded to the shooting. He watched officers roll Castile’s body onto a backboard to be loaded onto a gurney. It was at that time that he said he heard one officer yell “gun” before reaching deep into Castile’s right pocket to retrieve a pistol. “I physically saw his hand go into the pocket… I recall it being deep,” Torgerson testified.
Ah, were things as simple as you portray them. From the same Pioneer Press article you selectively quote:

Juan Toren, Roseville PD
It was when they turned Castile’s body to place him on a backboard that he says he saw Castile’s black semi-automatic handgun sliding out of his right front pocket. Toran said he removed it the rest of the way and placed it on the pavement in a safe location. He guarded the firearm until the scene was taped off.

Juan Cortez
An emergency medical technician for the St. Paul Fire Department who responded to the shooting. He said he knows Yanez casually but is not a friend. Cortez helped prepare Castile for transport to hospital. While on scene, he said he heard something fall from Castile’s right side and “clang” on the ground. He said he believed it was Castile’s black pistol. During cross-examination, Cortez said he never actually saw Castile’s pistol fall, rather just heard it.

Grant Dattilo, Roseville PD
“When I looked up I could see in (Castile’s) pocket the top handle of a gun.” He then saw officer Toran remove it from Castile’s pocket and place it in a safe location on the ground.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:24 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Thanks for the links, Ghengis and Glenfield. Regardless of the eventual verdict, at least the jury is not being impulsive or unfair to either side. They are examining all the evidence. Just hope it does not end as a hung jury. Hope they can produce a verdict on Friday. Fwiw, I was once on a jury for homicide where we reached a guilty verdict for 2nd degree murder early on the 5th day of deliberations.

Certainly hope the rally at the state Capitol remains peaceful regardless of the verdict.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:50 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Thanks for the links, Ghengis and Glenfield. Regardless of the eventual verdict, at least the jury is not being impulsive or unfair to either side. They are examining all the evidence. Just hope it does not end as a hung jury. Hope they can produce a verdict on Friday. Fwiw, I was once on a jury for homicide where we reached a guilty verdict for 2nd degree murder early on the 5th day of deliberations.

Certainly hope the rally at the state Capitol remains peaceful regardless of the verdict.
Agreed. I was also on a jury for a murder trial many years ago and it was very hard to evaluate the eyewitness accounts. They were all very different- no two people saw or heard exactly the same thing- yet they all seemed to be decent people who sincerely believed that they were giving an accurate account of the events. I have a friend who does civil litigation and he says, "The memory is a very fluid and malleable thing."

As the conflicting quotes above show, the jury has its work cut out for it. I hope that if they can't truly reconcile their differences they won't compromise on a guilty verdict on a lesser charge just to reach a verdict. I know that happened on the jury I served on and I have always regretted it.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Stupidest...thread...ever...

What is this called 'pre-emptive outrage?"

My advice: get a hobby.
Quote:

chessgeak....looks like you and I have the same pre-emotive outrage
And both of us need to get a hobby

That must of been interesting to be on a jury for a murder.

5th day today for the trial.
Castile's mom interviewed yesterday saying she doesn't like anyone or anything right now.
Gotta be tough for her and Yanez' family.

I personaly think if Yanez Games I found not guilty or a hung jury, there will be riots. Hope not though.

Last edited by Atalanta; 06-16-2017 at 11:42 AM..

Old 06-16-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Stupidest...thread...ever...

What is this called 'pre-emptive outrage?"

My advice: get a hobby.
Quote:

Sorry duplicate. Slow connection hit submit twice.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:04 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Not guilty on all counts

Old 06-16-2017, 02:10 PM

Verdict in.
Officer Yanez Found not guilty on all charges.

WCCO radio has live coverage of it , people speak in out.

Castiles mom
Claiming he was murdered.
Always been a problem in the state of minnesota.
the system has always failed us.
Always against blacks.
They are coming for you next. All you interracials are next.
I hate Minnesota.
My son woumd never pull a gun on a police officer.

Sister Castiles blaming jurors say in they don't have a conscious.
And never have faith in this system

Last edited by Atalanta; 06-16-2017 at 02:20 PM..

Old 06-16-2017, 02:20 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Just read about the Not guilty on all counts verdict. I accept the verdict. Was a little surprised they did not convict at least on reckless discharge as a 4 year old child was in the vehicle, but I was not in the courtroom. Agree the manslaughter charge was a closer call.

I think Yanez won't be able to be a police officer in the Twin Cities area. Unless there is a desk job available. He should have told Castile to put his hands on the steering wheel as is typically done. I did follow that part of the case closely.

Last edited by chessgeek; 06-16-2017 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul