Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:16 AM

178 posts, read 346,694 times

Advertisements

Seconding the Chemex method. Makes such a difference. I had a co-worker who roasted beans the day before and did our overs for the team. It was astounding and I'm typically fine with a cup of diner coffee.

And Peet's. My office was across from their HQ for years and those folks love and know coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 07:47 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbrite View Post
I just realized that I do not like the coffee I am drinking and am on the hunt for a new brand.
How do you brew your coffee? Try brewing your coffee in a Peculator...

Old 07-05-2017, 07:49 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
San Francisco Organic from Costco.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:32 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
I've found that almost any coffee I brew tastes a lot better if I filter the water. My neighbor just leaves a pitcher of tap water on the counter all night so the chlorine evaporates.

I'm drinking Caribou coffee these days because it was on sale at Target. I like Dunkin' Donuts coffee, too.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:50 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
I'm a fan of Caribou, both at home and from the coffee shop. We also have a caribou in my work building, so there is some built-in incentive to develop a preference for that brand!

Old 07-06-2017, 09:31 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,820 times
Coffee often depends upon HOW you brew it.

For the smoothest, strongest coffee ever I recommend using a Bialetti Moka Pot to brew it in. Unchanged design since the 1930's. You've seen them, but may not know how they work. You can get one at Target for around $35. Various sizes available for however many cups you want.

Almost any coffee tastes loads better using the Moka method. You can vary the strength by packing more or less grounds into the pot.

Simple. No need to buy endless filters - There are no filters with the Moka Pot. Just an infinitely reusable canister for the grounds.

And dirt cheap too! Pack the grounds in the canister. Fill the reservoir with water and put it on the stove for a few minutes.

Rich, creamy coffee awaits!

Last edited by Astron1000; 07-06-2017 at 09:51 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 09:19 AM

5 posts, read 6,523 times
Amazon has this for $27 - https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-6-Cu.../dp/B000CNY6UK

Old 07-09-2017, 09:20 PM

85 posts, read 80,605 times
Takeya Cold Brew coffee maker. (https://smile.amazon.com/Takeya-Coff...keya+cold+brew
Really smooth, not bitter. Use coarse grounds and if possible grind before making and putting in the fridge. Prepare 8-10 hours prior to drinking. Think you will like and may not return to hot coffee...

Old 07-15-2017, 08:31 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times
Oh, my dear friend, Sunbrite! You've touched on one of my favorite things... coffee!

I'm going to say upfront, as a disclaimer for those who love to nitpick every word, that "good coffee" is subjective. It's a personal thing based on your own tastes and that makes everyone's opinions valid.

That said, I find that a good cup of coffee depends on the brand of coffee you choose. But a great cup of coffee depends on how you make the coffee.

I got rid of my drip coffee maker. In my opinion, they're worthless. The only reason to have one is if you're addicted to the timer for convenience and have the personal opinion that coffee is coffee.

Most methods of coffee making are useless if you want really good coffee. Why? Because they don't get the water hot enough to get the best out of the beans. It needs to come to a full boil (a good one!), and continue boiling while in contact with the coffee, for good one to two minutes. This boils off all the acid in the coffee. This is generally known as Cowboy Coffee. The reason some people get heartburn when they drink coffee is because of the acidity in the beans that only goes away when it's boiled. When they try Cowboy Coffee, they're surprised that they don't get heartburn! It's honestly the best cup of coffee you'll ever have because it's so smooth.

Here's a short video on YouTube about how to make it.

(So easy. I make it on the stove in a regular cooking pot. A half gallon of water to slightly heaped, half cup of ground coffee.)

If you like cream and sugar in your coffee, try this splurge instead. Use sweetened condensed milk instead of sugar, and use evaporated milk instead of milk or cream. This is so good it'll bring Jesus back early! Doing this has spoiled me to the point that I can't use regular sugar in my coffee now. And using Half-n-Half or cream is fine but they just don't have the flavor. What's more is that the Aldi brand Evaporated Milk is only 69¢ a can and even tastes better than Carnation at $1.00 less per can! Aldi's Sweetened Condensed Milk is only $1.39 a can, which is also $1 or more less per can and tastes great! (I've never been a milk person with coffee... it's too watery and tasteless in coffee, even whole milk.) The good thing is, even coffee with just Evaporated Milk in it tastes great! I kid you not, I buy 50 cans at a time at Aldi (only $34.50) and it lasts me two to three months. I only buy six cans of the Sweetened Condensed Milk at a time. ($8.34)

If you make Cowboy Coffee, the brand of coffee you use doesn't seem to make that much difference actually. Honestly, Folgers is fantastic when made this way! Other coffee brands I like are:
  • German Regular Roast (vacuum-sealed squares) at Aldi. $4.99 for a LOT of coffee!
  • Folgers. Seriously.
  • Cafe Bustelo. It's not expensive and is very economical because you use less of it than you would regular coffee.
  • Caribou Chocolate Wonder says I love you. I don't care for flavored coffees because of all the chemicals (and they do taste like chemicals). But this stuff, especially with evaporated and sweetened condensed milks, is an absolute treat!
  • A brand that lives up to it's expensive price tag is called Kicking Horse. They have different roasts but I can't get away from the one (unfortunately) called Kick Ass. The description on the bag is spot on - Sweet, Smoky, Audacious. It's very literally all three of those things! But, it's $11-12 a bag. This is what you buy when you just don't care anymore and can say, "If I have coffee, I have groceries," so you buy the good stuff!

Sorry for the long post, but this is coffee we're talking about! It's not like it's about something frivolous!

Old 07-21-2017, 08:55 PM

628 posts, read 1,436,247 times
Has anyone mentioned Dogwood? I love their beans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul