Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 08:11 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
simple, if stupid people are against something than I'm for it
This sums up the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 08:23 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The notoriously liberal Washington Post has the opposite take

A 'Very Credible' new study on Seattle's $15 minimum wage has bad news for liberals:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.39e9f47766e7
No, they have the same take. The study concludes that while the hourly rate goes up for some workers, the number of hours are reduced and there are fewer jobs, so the workers are worse off after the increase. The study concludes that the minimum wage increase has cost the average low wage worker $125 a month.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:28 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
No, they have the same take. The study concludes that while the hourly rate goes up for some workers, the number of hours are reduced and there are fewer jobs, so the workers are worse off after the increase. The study concludes that the minimum wage increase has cost the average low wage worker $125 a month.
I need to work on my reading comprehension.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I need to work on my reading comprehension.
I've done worse.

The ones that really got screwed in this is the waitstaff at restaurants. Without a tip credit, food prices are going up to cover the $15 wage for the front and the back of the house. The higher prices will result in less traffic, plus lower tips or no tipping policies. Some of these people are looking at going from $40 and hour to $15. Look for an exodus of restaurants from Minneapolis.

Last edited by Glenfield; 06-30-2017 at 09:08 PM..

Old 06-30-2017, 09:16 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Well, looks like this is the end of Minnesota. Again.

Of course, it all came crashing down on Minnesota in the early 1930s, when Governor Olson established a minimum wage of 45 cents/hour. That was the end of Minnesota!

Later, FDR destroyed America by establishing a federal minimum wage, but only to the tune of 25 cents/hour - so, of course, it wasn't destroyed as badly as Minnesota.

Then in 1956, destruction redux - the federal minimum wage was increase to an insane $1/hour! (someone pass the smelling salts!)

PS - Isn't the 1950s that halcyon era of economic utopia conservatives often wax nostalgic about? I guess they forgot about the minimum wage apocalypse in the middle of the decade... just like they forget about those 91% upper income tax brackets back then!

Anyway, back to the serial destruction-by-minimum wage!

1973 - Minnesota's minimum wage is raised to $1.80/hour. Never mind that this was a booming era in the state, often referred to as the Minnesota Miracle. Nope, I guess it was just another chapter in the ongoing destruction.

1983 thru 1991 - three more minimum wage hikes in Minnesota! Triple whammy! Destroyed, destroyed, destroyed!

1997 - $5.25/hour in Minnesota. The state must've been a barren wasteland by this point.

2002 - $6.15/hour in Minnesota. The very last job of them all fled Minnesota... right?

Seeing the trend yet? Here's the plan from the usual suspects when the minimum wage is increased:

1) They set their hair on fire.
2) Having your attention, they ominously warn of all manner of resulting calamities.
3) They then hope you don't remember how they made these very same claims every last time the minimum wage was raised.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Well, looks like this is the end of Minnesota. Again.

Of course, it all came crashing down on Minnesota in the early 1930s, when Governor Olson established a minimum wage of 45 cents/hour. That was the end of Minnesota!

Later, FDR destroyed America by establishing a federal minimum wage, but only to the tune of 25 cents/hour - so, of course, it wasn't destroyed as badly as Minnesota.

Then in 1956, destruction redux - the federal minimum wage was increase to an insane $1/hour! (someone pass the smelling salts!)

PS - Isn't the 1950s that halcyon era of economic utopia conservatives often wax nostalgic about? I guess they forgot about the minimum wage apocalypse in the middle of the decade... just like they forget about those 91% upper income tax brackets back then!

Anyway, back to the serial destruction-by-minimum wage!

1973 - Minnesota's minimum wage is raised to $1.80/hour. Never mind that this was a booming era in the state, often referred to as the Minnesota Miracle. Nope, I guess it was just another chapter in the ongoing destruction.

1983 thru 1991 - three more minimum wage hikes in Minnesota! Triple whammy! Destroyed, destroyed, destroyed!

1997 - $5.25/hour in Minnesota. The state must've been a barren wasteland by this point.

2002 - $6.15/hour in Minnesota. The very last job of them all fled Minnesota... right?

Seeing the trend yet? Here's the plan from the usual suspects when the minimum wage is increased:

1) They set their hair on fire.
2) Having your attention, they ominously warn of all manner of resulting calamities.
3) They then hope you don't remember how they made these very same claims every last time the minimum wage was raised.
No one said it was the end of Minnesota. The point is that in Seattle, raising the minimum wage has had a negative impact on low wage workers and we fear the same thing will happen here. Just look at the unemployment rate among teenagers, especially black teens, and you can see the effect that the rising minimum wage has had on low skilled workers. That is the trend and yes, we see it quite clearly.

But the pro-increase crowd here is too busy making smarmy comments and mounting ad hominem attacks to see what is right in front of your faces.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:15 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
No one said it was the end of Minnesota. The point is that in Seattle, raising the minimum wage has had a negative impact on low wage workers and we fear the same thing will happen here. Just look at the unemployment rate among teenagers, especially black teens, and you can see the effect that the rising minimum wage has had on low skilled workers. That is the trend and yes, we see it quite clearly.

But the pro-increase crowd here is too busy making smarmy comments and mounting ad hominem attacks to see what is right in front of your faces.
pay no attention to the "usual suspects" who nearly every reply/post is a "smarmy comment "

Skunks can't change their stripes.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:11 AM
PDF

Quote:
The same goes for those who oppose the increase. Declaring that this is going to lead to a negative impact on everything is complete overreaction.

What will they do when this is the minimum wage everywhere, as it should be? Can't wait to see their reactions then.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:16 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
I am liberal but i am against it because they will cut the hours of low income workers and create more people out of work because businesses will have to scale back on the number of people they hire. I know people have to have jobs that pay a livable wage but most of these jobs do not give you 40 hours a week anyway because they do not want to pay you benefits.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:26 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I am liberal but i am against it because they will cut the hours of low income workers and create more people out of work because businesses will have to scale back on the number of people they hire. I know people have to have jobs that pay a livable wage but most of these jobs do not give you 40 hours a week anyway because they do not want to pay you benefits.
There are companies out there that do the opposite of that. A few out there already pay above minimum wage, well above minimum wage at that...because they want to treat their employees right. And of course they give 40 hours a week with benefits. So just remember that not every business is out to cheat low income workers of their jobs once minimum wage hits. This affects small businesses more than anything else. While what you are saying may very well happen, it won't be the norm. If a business didn't look after their employees when minimum wage was low, then they won't after the increase either. Take a look at who is paying well above minimum wage right now, or even years ago. I get that you are generalizing, but this is not going to lead to mass panic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul