Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 03:09 PM

43 posts, read 156,992 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I turn 21 tomorrow, March 7th. I'm planning on hitting the bars downtown tomorrow night and friday night to celebrate. However, I'm slightly confused about the situation with the drivers' licenses.

I received a notification in January that I should renew my license "no more than 3 weeks before" my 21st birthday. I renewed it on Friday, February 15th, which is 2 weeks and 6 days before. I still haven't received the new license yet though, and I don't think I will until after my birthday.

My questions is... If I have my clipped (and expired as of tomorrow and "under 21" license) with me AND the yellow receipt of me registering for my 21+ license, will I still be able to get into the bars and be served?

If not, what can I do or do I have to wait to be served alcohol until I get the ACTUAL license in the mail, even though I'll still be 21?

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 03:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
congratulations on turning 21 but instead of going to a bar why don't you see an opera or a play instead?

Old 03-06-2013, 03:28 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
It really depends on the bar.

Do you have a passport? That might help.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTwins View Post
Hey everyone,

I turn 21 tomorrow, March 7th. I'm planning on hitting the bars downtown tomorrow night and friday night to celebrate. However, I'm slightly confused about the situation with the drivers' licenses.

I received a notification in January that I should renew my license "no more than 3 weeks before" my 21st birthday. I renewed it on Friday, February 15th, which is 2 weeks and 6 days before. I still haven't received the new license yet though, and I don't think I will until after my birthday.

My questions is... If I have my clipped (and expired as of tomorrow and "under 21" license) with me AND the yellow receipt of me registering for my 21+ license, will I still be able to get into the bars and be served?

If not, what can I do or do I have to wait to be served alcohol until I get the ACTUAL license in the mail, even though I'll still be 21?

Thanks a lot.
The yellow paper along with the clipped license is your ID

Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,422 times
Doesn't depend on the bar. If you go with the clipped license and yellow slip, that's your ID. Passport would work, too. Basically, any combination of your picture and birth date on government issued document(s).

Old 03-06-2013, 04:31 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Doesn't depend on the bar. If you go with the clipped license and yellow slip, that's your ID. Passport would work, too. Basically, any combination of your picture and birth date on government issued document(s).
It seems to me that each establishments can decide which documents they want to accept as valid ID to serve alcohol.

Dave & Busters for example will not accept Passports or Military ID because they lack height, sex, and eye color. The policy is on their website. ---> Dave & Buster' s - Policies

I have personally been denied service at some MN bars when I had a valid FL drivers license. Many accepted it, but not all.

I have seen friends denied with a clipped MN license and the yellow paper.

My wife was previously served with her foreign drivers license, but denied with her U.S. Permanent Resident ID card which had her picture, name, DOB, thumb print, security holograms, etc.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Many bars will not serve if you have a clipped license--same at Target stadium or the Metrodome.

It can take 4-6 weeks to get your license in the mail. Our kids just renewed their license--went in on Feb 7th--one got his license on Saturday, the other is still waiting.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 AM

90 posts, read 226,004 times
Happy B-Day!!!

Drinking is bad, smoke a joint instead

Old 03-07-2013, 10:00 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
You shouldn't have any issues. I didn't receive my ID in time when I turned 21, but I still ended up going out. I just brought my clipped ID plus the yellow sheet. Most of my friends have had the same luck.

I did have a friend who ran into some issues, but the bouncers were just being difficult. They made her actually go get verification from a nearby cop, all the while waiving many people in without as much as an ID check.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTwins View Post
Hey everyone,

Thanks a lot.
You'll be fine. Although though it's very annoying to pull out the papers. How come Minnesota is the last of the states to issue driver's licenses right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul