Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 09:04 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,460 times

Advertisements

I don’t know if this is why you’re getting the comments but when I talk to people nationally about where I live they seem shocked that I would want to live somewhere that it’s so cold. Many people I know in the south or south west transplanted from the northern climate so maybe it’s surprising to people that you moved from a warmer southern climate up here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 06:35 PM

225 posts, read 211,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
I don’t know if this is why you’re getting the comments but when I talk to people nationally about where I live they seem shocked that I would want to live somewhere that it’s so cold. Many people I know in the south or south west transplanted from the northern climate so maybe it’s surprising to people that you moved from a warmer southern climate up here?
Oh right, the idea that everyone loves hot weather and hates cold. That could be part of it. I'm just not that interested in baking in temps in the 80s and high humidity in the middle of autumn, but I suppose some could be.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:18 AM

871 posts, read 1,087,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
Oh right, the idea that everyone loves hot weather and hates cold. That could be part of it. I'm just not that interested in baking in temps in the 80s and high humidity in the middle of autumn, but I suppose some could be.
What? You don't love pit stains? They go so well with just about ANY outfit!

Old 09-20-2018, 07:00 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Quote:
Before I left New England, I could say the same. I don't think it's a generational thing although I suppose I could say the smokers are a little older than me, 30+.

Yes, I spend a good bit of time in the bolded areas, as well as Uptown and the more Western areas of SW Minneapolis. The latter I'd say are less smoky in the day, but more at night. Where I am in SE is pretty smoke-free.

And oh, so Nicollet is new? Cool. It has a great layout. In general, I love downtown. It seems like it gets a lot of "whatever" views around the subforum but to me it has a true city, familiar feel. I almost gave up on moving to Minneapolis before I saw downtown/North Loop/Warehouse.
TO the op. Visit the Twin Cities in Jan. and Feb. If you can stay for several weeks, spend time outside walking. Most Minnesotans will say that winter is not that bad, Until you live in part of it.

Last edited by demtion35; 09-20-2018 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-21-2018, 08:21 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
TO the op. Visit the Twin Cities in Jan. and Feb. If you can stay for several weeks, spend time outside walking. Most Minnesotans will say that winter is not that bad, Until you live in part of it.

She already moved here and lives near Lake Nokomis.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:22 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
She already moved here and lives near Lake Nokomis.
Wow, that was quick!

Old 09-24-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
What? You don't love pit stains? They go so well with just about ANY outfit!
Ha. Oh, the deodorant stains I could never get rid of...

P.S. When do they usually turn on heat here?

I was looking forward to warm, toasty heat greeting me in the fall but it seems like a lot of places don't have it on or have AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Wow, that was quick!

It should have been sooner! I just didn't see why I should wait; I'd only be wasting time.

Yes, I'm in SE Minneapolis and thanks a million to all who suggested not to live in a suburb. I see now that would have been a completely bad choice. I love where I am now, although I think any part of the lower half of Minneapolis, even into the Highland area of St. Paul, would be a very good fit.

Re: winter. I've secured a few pairs of fall boots and I'm currently shopping for winter clothes. Hibernation is not an option so I'm preparing...hopefully I'll make it.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:26 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
P.S. When do they usually turn on heat here?

I can't remember if there's a calendar date. I want to say October 1st but I might be making that up. There might only be a temperature requirement. That's one thing that really got under my skin. In Chicago, landlords have to supply heat form September 15 - June 1st. I was appalled that the Twin Cities had no such ordinance! But you have to take population into account, and most people in the Twin Cities are homeowners. It's not a renter friendly place (aside from the fact that you can get a property tax refund if you qualify. That was nice. ) . Bust out those blankets! Check the city/county ordinances, though.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I can't remember if there's a calendar date. I want to say October 1st but I might be making that up. There might only be a temperature requirement.

Oh, where I live is fine because I control the temperature. I meant that in many or most public and private buildings, there is no heat. Whereas in other cold cities, they crank up the heat.

True, it does seem to cater more to homeowning. While looking for a place people would ask why I wouldn't just buy a home instead of renting one. The reason is that I didn't and don't think I'm informed enough to make that sort of decision in a city/state/region that is still new and different to me.

Old 09-28-2018, 06:45 AM

490 posts, read 623,657 times
Quote:
Oh, where I live is fine because I control the temperature. I meant that in many or most public and private buildings, there is no heat. Whereas in other cold cities, they crank up the heat.

True, it does seem to cater more to homeowning. While looking for a place people would ask why I wouldn't just buy a home instead of renting one. The reason is that I didn't and don't think I'm informed enough to make that sort of decision in a city/state/region that is still new and different to me.
It's a great time to be a seller. Prices are high and inventory is low. Waiting a year or two until the market cools off a bit might be a good move. Then again it's hard to predict. Renting for a year until you know the lay of the land is prudent nonetheless. You also might get Spring house hunting fever like we did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul