Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2018, 03:11 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJhg View Post
I lived in a northern Minnesota small town for my senior year of highschool and it was pretty noticeable that hardly anyone in my graduating class even talked to me at all, almost all of them basically ignored me. The most talkative one towards me was a German exchange student. I admit I was pretty antisocial myself but only about a half dozen of them even said a word to me so I couldn't really even get started. This might not be a unique MN thing, maybe more of a indulated small town thing and being a kid I didn't really notice it at the time so much but thinking back it's more clear.
How awful for you.

I move to Rochester my senior year and I ended up in the part of town where many of the kids were DR kids, some actually spoke to me. (This is funny) One girl asked where I was from and ~~ "What does your dad do?" - didn't ever ask my name. I said he's the city assessor. She said: "Oh, I'm sorry." And walked away. This is no joke.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:09 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
How awful for you.

I move to Rochester my senior year and I ended up in the part of town where many of the kids were DR kids, some actually spoke to me. (This is funny) One girl asked where I was from and ~~ "What does your dad do?" - didn't ever ask my name. I said he's the city assessor. She said: "Oh, I'm sorry." And walked away. This is no joke.
What are DR kids?

Old 09-25-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
What are DR kids?
Are you serious?

Mayo Clinic doctor's kids.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:30 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,013 times
Quote:
Are you serious?

Mayo Clinic doctor's kids.
It wasn’t very obvious with the all caps and lack of punctuation. I thought you were referring to children from the Dominican Republic.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:38 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
It wasn’t very obvious with the all caps and lack of punctuation. I thought you were referring to children from the Dominican Republic.
I too thought Dominican republic!

Old 09-26-2018, 07:24 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
Having visited MSP in the summer, I can only speak from that perspective. I could not take the winter months there as I am not a snow type of person. Those skyways are not there for decoration. I would probably have to have a winter place in AZ if I lived in MN. However, I enjoyed my time there and did find it very alive. The politics are liberal from my perspective but I will agree that it is a desirable place to live.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:46 AM

533 posts, read 643,130 times
It's been 5 years since I left MN but I still do have fond memories of MN. Aside from the harsh winters, there is very little to fault. Weather is a big factor in my life so I know I won't be returning but I do miss:

1. Educated population: MN has a classy vibe overall and people generally seem to be well read
2. Glorious summers: Trips "up north" during the summer were always memorable. Lake Superior is stunning
3. People: I am surprised at the reputation that MN has about not welcoming people. I'd say it is just about the same as any big city in the country. I did not grow up there but made many friends and interacted with the families as well. Overall, the people are very nice and respectful. I will say though that I did not like the passive-aggressiveness. After I moved, it took me a while to shake it out of the system

Old 09-26-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I too thought Dominican republic!
Really - Rochester MN and you thought Dominican Republic.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:00 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
Quote:
Really - Rochester MN and you thought Dominican Republic.
Well "Dr." is the universally recognized abbreviation for doctor, I've never seen both letters capitalized. In all honesty, MN has such a reputation for taking in refugees that my mind honestly went to Dominican Republic.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:35 AM

413 posts, read 323,792 times
Quote:
How awful for you.

Wow, and now the mean kids here take shots at you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul