Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 11:44 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
You completely ignored my point: you seem to have a problem with government using laws to mandate a certain type of development. So why are you upset about the government NOT mandating single family homes as the only allowed development in certain zones? Aren't they getting rid of exactly what you seem to have a problem with - forcing "certain development?"
Think of it as being akin to this:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 04:15 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Minneapolis realizes it needs to come into the new millennium and compete for transplants or risk extinction. Better late than never, I suppose. My guess is that Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and even Wisconsin will attract and keep transplants before MN gets its act together, but good luck!
Here in the real world, Minnesota has a net positive domestic migration rate. All of those states you mentioned have net negative domestic migration rates. The most recent year's data:
https://www.businessinsider.com/stat...to-2017-2018-1

Longer term, 2010-2017, Minnesota is growing faster than all of those states you mentioned and has a higher domestic migration rate. You'll notice that its rate over this seven-year span is negative, contrasted with the fact that the most recent year shows a net positive, indicates that Minnesota has, in fact, been able to reverse the trend of a net domestic population loss - unlike those states you're touting.

The Migration of Millions: 2017 State Population Estimates | Newgeography.com

Quote:
Minnesotans ended a 15-year net negative streak. Did word finally get out about our delicious hotdish? Minnesota has not seen positive domestic net migration since the early 2000s. This has led to much hand-wringing by policy and business leaders, but also strategizing, marketing, and savvy proselytizing about the virtues of this state where the APM Research Lab is located. Nearly 8,000 more residents arrived in Minnesota from other states than chose to leave in 2017.
https://www.apmresearchlab.org/stori...ation-movement

The fact that you didn't post any data supporting your assertion suggests that either you know your claims are not based on any actual evidence or that you have no idea what you're talking about and that your claims merely represent your wishful thinking.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:24 PM

8,338 posts, read 2,966,443 times
There goes your nice neighborhood.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:30 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
You're not making any sense. What does single family homes being a "cultural norm" have to do with zoning laws mandating them? Lots of things are cultural norms. Doesn't mean they should be mandated by law. Shaking hands at business meetings are a cultural norm - should there be a law mandating shaking hands, instead of, say, bowing as the Japanese do?

You completely ignored my point: you seem to have a problem with government using laws to mandate a certain type of development. So why are you upset about the government NOT mandating single family homes as the only allowed development in certain zones? Aren't they getting rid of exactly what you seem to have a problem with - forcing "certain development?"

Desegregation is A root cause. Not THE root cause. There is also the matter that when you mandate single family zones in certain, you ensure that nobody who can't afford a single family home, no matter their race or culture, can live in those areas.

It's not like single family homes don't often result in segregated communities, so I don't really see how this change could make segregation/integration WORSE.
Ok your right.......... I'll eat crow if it works out like you want.......Time will tell

Old 12-14-2018, 05:44 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
I LOVE Minnesota! Very happy that we have a government that cares about us.
I hope this is satire/facetiousness/sarcasm. Otherwise, there's no possible way you're serious. This state is very poorly ran and we are soon to face the consequences.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:45 PM

225 posts, read 211,536 times
^Besides that facts disagree with this, I've lived in several states and I have to disagree with this. Perhaps others might want to venture out and see for themselves what other states have to offer? Seriously, I think it would be instructive.

For sure, not everything is perfect in Minnesota. At the same time, from my vantage point it seems that because Minnesota is so stable/well-run, any changes, big or small, are perceived as major threats.

I'll keep my comments about what will happen as a result of Minneapolis 2040 to myself because it's all speculation at this point.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:33 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I hope this is satire/facetiousness/sarcasm. Otherwise, there's no possible way you're serious. This state is very poorly ran and we are soon to face the consequences.
What? Link please.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:03 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
What? Link please.
You are despuiiting the statement made..You show your link.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
You are despuiiting the statement made..You show your link.
What? I don’t know the specific data that supports the original assertion.

You can claim whatever you want but if you can’t/won’t back it up it’s hard to convince others.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:41 AM

I mean literally, the very first google search result is a list of best run states from the USA Today. Minnesota is #1.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa.../amp/926586001

US News and World Report - MN #2.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...es/methodology

According to this fiscal health list MN = 24th

https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul