Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 11:33 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times

Advertisements

bring some sand from MB or PB but none of that stuff from OB...oh, and a couple palm trees too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 09:15 AM

117 posts, read 161,239 times
I agree with the others - there would no problem selling FWD vehicles that are car models which do not come with a 4WD/AWD option. The biggest issue you would see is if you had something like an SUV, which is usually offered with and desirable because of the 4WD option, but the particular vehicle you were trying to sell had 2WD.

Somewhat on topic, I have found that our FWD vehicles with proper winter tires perform better in winter driving conditions than a 4WD vehicle we owned that had all-season tires. Most people here do not change to winter tires in the colder months, but I have found that having them significantly improves driving conditions on snowy/icy days, regardless of the vehicle's drivetrain.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtotheMidwest View Post
Hello, my wife and I live in Southern California, and we'd love to move closer to family in the next couple of years. We were raised in the South and the Midwest, and we have lived in California for the last five years starting our careers and enjoying life with no kids. In short, it's been great, but it's not somewhere we were planning on being forever.

Anyways, both of our companies have offices in Twin Cities, and we think we would really love it. There are many logistics to work out, but one of big questions we have is should we sell our cars here in California before moving or would we have luck selling them in Minnesota? We have a 2010 Scion TC and a 2014 Honda Civic. These cars are really popular here. These are definitely not AWD vehicles that would be preferable in the winter in Minnesota. What do you think?

It will depend on the time of the year we move. It would be great to move after winter and have all summer to try to sell them.

If we were to sell the cars here in California, I guess we would just rent a car to get to Minnesota. We have two cats we will be transporting.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Not sure about Scion....but Honda's are just as popular here as in Calif. I actually think the price might be better here, as my Cali. relatives tell me used car prices are very competitive in Calif.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:16 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Just keep your cars and not sell them. Throw on winter tires on if you want for better traction the few times it's needed.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:36 AM

16 posts, read 10,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Just keep your cars and not sell them. Throw on winter tires on if you want for better traction the few times it's needed.
I am considering that now. Thank you.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:40 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtotheMidwest View Post
I am considering that now. Thank you.
If you do this, buy a set of rims for the winter tires. Tire shops charge in $140-160 range to swap tires from summer to winter tires on same rims. So it's $280-$320 per year each year to swap. I do it and I have a dedicated rims with mud/snow tires for off roading only, but my winter tires are much better overall then mud/snow.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:37 PM

114 posts, read 136,632 times
The Scion or Civic are fine in MN. Get snow tires if that gives you comfort of mind. Otherwise, a good quality all-season tire with good tread remaining will work just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: