Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 04:17 AM

5 posts, read 5,871 times

Advertisements

Yes, it gets cold in Minnesota and the winter lasts a long time. But last weeks cold has impacted the mental health of my Minnesota relatives. Their schools were closed, their employers were closed, cars did not start, getting out of the house was painful. How much time could they spend indoors without just going crazy?

Yes, it will be milder for a few days but more real cold weather is coming back in a few days that will last for a long time.

How do the extreme cold spells in the winter and cabin fever impact your mental health?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 06:55 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
It doesn’t. I was out every day last week, though not for a long time. Today it will be near 40 again. I think they’re exaggerating, maybe to impress you or something.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:24 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
it got cold? hadn't noticed, something must be wrong with your relatives, social services can be called to do a welfare check

Old 02-03-2019, 08:03 AM

225 posts, read 211,536 times
How long have they been in Minnesota and are they in the Twin Cities area? I assume they are because you posted in this subforum, but want to make sure they're not in an even colder part of the state.

School and work closings were good. I got to catch up on stuff. I was out a few days last week, for 20-25 minutes at a time. I walked a couple of miles after the deep cold days, when it increased to single digit temp and negative windchill. So you can certainly go out of the house, just don't plan on staying outside for long periods.

Next week is 20s and teens, which is normal cold for here. It looks like temps will gradually increase from next week on. I'm new and coming from warm temps so when winter started my body was in shock. Now every day is just another day. Every day is cold, more or less, so it's nothing interesting.

Last edited by LeTraveler; 02-03-2019 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-03-2019, 09:25 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,420 times
They can solve this problem by going outside and doing something winter related. Wear the proper gear.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:59 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious question View Post

Yes, it will be milder for a few days but more real cold weather is coming back in a few days that will last for a long time.

How do the extreme cold spells in the winter and cabin fever impact your mental health?
Highs in teens and 20s...very normal. Last week, I wore my heavy parka. Yesterday and today, I wore my light puffer jacket. I'll probably wear the puffer jacket most days this upcoming week.

I actually enjoyed the days off work. It was an unexpected mini-vacation, which allowed me time to sort through my closets, deep clean the carpets, binge watch some Netflix and Amazon Prime shows I've been meaning to get to, etc.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:30 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
They can solve this problem by going outside and doing something winter related. Wear the proper gear.
This.

Last week was a once-in-a-generation event. We knew it was coming and schools and many employers did the responsible thing. Extra effort was put into resources for those on the margins.

Typically, there is a ton of clear blue skies in December and January. This December was atypical - warmer than normal, leading to less sunshine than normal - which typically follows incredible autumns.

February is the tough month for me. In February, it glooms up with sunshine at a premium.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:15 PM

542 posts, read 448,384 times
Your relatives damaged there mental health after only 3 days? You should hope that this mental weakness is not hereditary.

My kids were hoping they would get a fourth day off. It was actually nice to have a 3 day vacation and I did get some reading done and repaired my kitchen sink. I went to the stores and moved some snow outside with no issue but I own warm coat(s) (goose down filled). I did NOT walk my dog during this weather because it would be potentially dangerous for my pet. The up coming weather does not seem that severe and today I was outside with just a flannel shirt.

The fog last night was fun but the visibility really dropped. I do enjoy an occasional foggy day.

A reminder: Just because they live in Minnesota doesn't mean they are hardy.

PS..Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I built 3 additional bins for my vermicomposting (My worm population is growing).
A thing I strongly believe that easily bored people are boring. There is always something to do or things to learn but so little time.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:40 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,143,681 times
most people just continue on with their daily lives.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:02 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
We regularly drop to the -20s and -30s. This is nothing new. As far back as 2/9/1875 it was -32 and on 12/25/1879 it was -39 just to name a couple. We are used to it and figure out how to handle it. Doesn’t mean I love it, but it is just normal.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/...ate=1879-12-31
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: