Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:10 AM

5 posts, read 8,573 times

Advertisements

We are considering a stunning 2.5 story on the 3000 block of Park in Powderhorn. We have lived in Minneapolis for 4 years and before that Phoenix, so I have a decent "city sense" when it comes to myself and my husband. However, when it comes to brining kids into "urban" areas, I can't get a good feel for if Powderhorn is just too questionable.

We currently rent in Linden Hills, but can't afford to buy here. We want an older home with lots of character. Are all these houses in areas with higher showings on the crime maps? And how bad is it REALLY? We've been there during the day and it doesn't seem any worse than I would think for being that close to downtown.

But what is it like at night? We are night time runners/walkers and it doesn't seem like we could do that there.

Any information from people that live there would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Magdalenaa; 04-13-2008 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:25 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,841 times
Do you mean Park Avenue and Lake ( 3000 Park)? If so, no you absolutely do not want to bring your family there. Yes, the houses there have character, however Park is a very busy street and not good neighborhood, especially for kids. Drugs / crime etc over there. Park Avenue gets much better after about the 4200 block.

I have lived in South Minneapolis almost 25 years and have a good feel for the neighborhoods in this area. Linden Hills is a GREAT area and highly sought out, therefore the high prices you are coming across. Perhaps you could pay more and stay in that area?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:43 AM

Yup, that's exactly the area. It's very disappointing to realize this fantastic house is in such a neighborhood.

Thank you for sharing your experience, that is exactly what I am looking for.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:03 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalenaa View Post
Yup, that's exactly the area. It's very disappointing to realize this fantastic house is in such a neighborhood.

Thank you for sharing your experience, that is exactly what I am looking for.
Yes, it is sad that such incredible houses are in bad areas. You don't want your kids outside around there, it is a rough area with alot of 'thugs" right on your doorstep.

Plus thinking resale, you would have a hard time reselling in such an area, hence the good price you see from the current owners trying to 'unload' the house. But there is good news.........South Minneapolis is loaded with houses that have character and you should be able to find an affordable one is a decent area in the foreclosure market that is currently occurring. The Nokomis area is nice...etc., etc.

One last thing, I don't have kids, however in passing I believe that I have heard that the schools in Mpls may not be that great. The suburban schools probably much better?

Old 04-13-2008, 12:58 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
I don't neccessarily think that buying a house right by Powderhorn Park would be a horrible idea. The park itself is really nice. However, just from my experiences it would be more desirable to find a house on the Southern and Eastern sides of the park as opposed to the Northwest corner of it. The Powderhorn community has alot to offer though and houses are very affordable there. I just bought a house in Powderhorn on the other side of Cedar Avenue. So hey, we could be neighbors!

Old 04-13-2008, 01:35 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
How old are the kids?
Anyways, Lake and Park is getting much better. The Sears Building is remodeled and it did wonders for the area. If it were you and your wife, I would be OK recommending it. It is still a rough area. With kids I am rather hesitant. Those houses are quite large; but I think if you moved your search over into the Whittier area (across the freeway), you could still get a pretty good house in a much better neighborhood for about the same price. (less than $250,000) The area is zoned to go the Sothwest High, which is the same school that serves Linden Hills.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:30 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,576 times
Lake and Park is fine, and its improving. Even 2-3 years ago I would have said no.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:06 AM

Our kids are two girls, 11 and 8.

We love living in the city and we just happened into Linden Hills when we relocated. It is a fantastic neighborhood, but for our housing budget (250k-275k) you can't really find a house the size we need.

We would prefer to stay in the city limits, we love downtown and uptown, the lakes, food choices etc. But we want a place where the kids can be outside after dark playing with the neighbors.

Nikomis, Edina, Hopkins, Richfield, Linden Hills...any other suggstions?

Thanks for the input, this has been a tough house hunt for us!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:14 AM

98 posts, read 511,102 times
Why not Longfellow? For your budget you could get a 4bed/2bath relatively close to the river and light rail for easy transportation, all the while staying out of the flight paths of the airport. Crime seems minimal according to the maps and there are plenty of parks nearby for the girls.

My wife and I are currently looking to relocate to Minneapolis to the Longfellow area, and we are finding a lot of options in the 150-200k range, so you should have plenty to look at in your range.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:22 AM

We hadn't looked there before but are now and you are right, there are some decent listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul