Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 07:54 PM

143 posts, read 206,791 times

Advertisements

If you lived in St. Paul/ Minneapolis area, and you moved away.... what was the root reason of you leaving the area? Cost of Living? Weather? Crime? Politics? Education Quality? Lack of ... What?

Or why? Why did you move away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 07:41 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
TL;DR Just needing change, along with the winters and the personalities. We will always love the Twin Cities, and we did not go into our move thinking the grass was so much greener and it would solve all our problems.

Before I start, I want to make it clear that we DID NOT move away because we hated the Twin Cities and felt the grass would be so much greener on the other side. First and foremost, we moved because we desired change in this stage in our life, the thought of moving and growing closer as a family (at a minimum for a period of time) sounded fun.

But if you are looking for specifics, it was a combination of the winters and general personalities (not individual personalities, but we really struggled with the over-arching MN (n)ice after awhile). And I would have never moved away because of politics, but that was a bit of icing on the cake. To a lesser degree, we wanted to try a place that was closer to the ocean, mountains, and other weekend destinations.

I've mentioned this on the forum before, but after we started a family and were stuck indoors with a infant/toddler nap schedule, the long winters became more and more difficult. No longer could we just get out of the house in mid March when we wanted to. At a minimum, we were forced to be inside every day from 7pm - 8am, and 12:30 pm - 2:30 pm. That was the part of parenting that didn't really hit me until I was in it. And having children can also naturally force you to build new relationships with nearby young families. WE TRIED SO HARD! trust me, my wife is the type to hunt you down and make you commit to a date. We knocked on doors, delivered Xmas presents, went to national night out and started shaking hands. We joined and even led new church groups.

And we really really struggled to form those new friendships post children. Certainly we still had our previous friends, but they dispersed out over the metro and keeping up was trying. We ultimately decided that if we were to ever move as a family and experience the change, the time was right.

I think deep down, it didn't matter if I lived in NYC, Texas, or the Twin Cities, it would have bothered us too much to not experience another area and the growth it can provide as a family. The thought of staying put for another 50 years without experiencing that was a hard thought to swallow. And ultimately I got my company to promote me and pay for the move, so that really sealed the deal for us.

Would we move back someday? Maybe, with the biggest factor being our families residing there.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:59 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,022,421 times
In our Linden Hills neighborhood: Constantly increasing airplane, street and construction noise, push from the city for increased population density.
Overall: Traffic congestion, concerns about crime, overcrowding, push from the city for increased population density.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:50 AM

490 posts, read 623,773 times
We left to be closer to aging parents. I miss the Twin Cities though and would love to return someday.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:03 AM

2,891 posts, read 2,138,926 times
summers. it's so nice to sit on my deck at night and not be eaten alive by mosquitoes.

i was back about a month ago, when i landed the humidity was 86%. ugh.

having said that, it will always be "home" to me.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:07 AM

533 posts, read 642,191 times
Weather and only weather. Love the twin cities though. Just wish I could handle the harsh winters well

Old 07-25-2019, 10:53 AM

413 posts, read 323,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertmm View Post
If you lived in St. Paul/ Minneapolis area, and you moved away.... what was the root reason of you leaving the area? Cost of Living? Weather? Crime? Politics? Education Quality? Lack of ... What?

Or why? Why did you move away?

Care to at least offer people the courtesy of the reason for your question? Or will we never hear from you again, like Barney the Banker?

Old 07-25-2019, 02:00 PM

50 posts, read 61,461 times
in laws and weather

Old 07-26-2019, 11:11 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,389 times
Haven't moved yet but I'm applying for jobs in the Raleigh-Durham North Carolina area. Honestly the weather is not a major factor at all. Because down south you have plenty of hurricanes. At least here, they take care of the snow. My reasons are 1)Job market- Looking for jobs in the life science, Biotech/pharma field. Minnesota is growing in that area with Medtronic, St jude's, Boston Scientific. However, the Triangle is better when it comes to this field.

2) Colleges- To get in state tuition at a North Carolina University would be a huge benefit. Duke, Wake Forest. Then with us being African american, you have your HBCU'S in North Carolina A & T and North Carolina Central

3) Closer to home- Raleigh would be closer to family in Virginia and Philly. Minnesota is a 20 hour drive.

4)Cost of living- Cost of living is cheaper down south. Let's just hope I can make a high enough salary to make it worth it.

Raleigh seems to be high on quality of life just like the Twin Cities. The main thing I would miss if i do move are shopping- MOA can't be beat. Also we have the best thrift stores. Arc Village is a god send. Also the schools have been good too.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:46 AM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
I left for better scenery, CO and AK. But I did come back due to my family is here and not there. Also the scenery eventually becomes normal and less special, though I’d like to live somewhere out west part of the year in future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul