Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:20 AM

7 posts, read 26,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Osseo schools are ok, they aren't horrible but EP schools are top 3 in the state. Keep in mind that if you are looking to live some place because of a grocery store, you can always drive up there on weekends too.

Personally, the Maple Grove area is a nightmare. The traffic is ALWAYS horrible. There are times when it will take you an hour to drive 7 miles. Eden Prairie has bad traffic during rush hour but still no where near as bad as the Maple Grove area.
I'm not making a decision based on a grocery store, I just like that there is one there. I'm going on a very general feeling I got from my very limited exposure to both cities. We went through 2 houses in each city and drove around a little bit with our realtor. From that, it seems like EP is all subdivisions and strip malls and MG has more open spaces and wooded areas. Am I missing something? I realize that MG could end up just like EP in 10 years, as they are building like crazy out there. But from what I've read on here, I'm a little concerned about the "best of the best" keeping up with the joneses mentality that seems to be the case in EP. But again, I've had very limited exposure so I'm not sure which one I like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 08:22 AM

7 posts, read 28,301 times
Quote:
Osseo schools are ok, they aren't horrible but EP schools are top 3 in the state. Keep in mind that if you are looking to live some place because of a grocery store, you can always drive up there on weekends too.

Personally, the Maple Grove area is a nightmare. The traffic is ALWAYS horrible. There are times when it will take you an hour to drive 7 miles. Eden Prairie has bad traffic during rush hour but still no where near as bad as the Maple Grove area.
Dear GolfGal: I have noticed in other threads that you always think traffic is bad in any part of the cities..... I personally LIVE in MG and drive downtown EVERY DAY in rush hour. I leave my house at 7:20 a.m. and arrive downtown right around 7:45-7:50 a.m. every day (other than when there are blizzard conditions) and have for the last five years. There are no nightmares of traffic in MG, as you state. The only problem with MG traffic is, admittedly, on Friday afternoons in the summer when everyone is heading up north. The nightmares would be down in your area by Crosstown and 35 W from downtown. That is certainly a problem, although it will be considerably better in a few years (don't know when the completion date is for the construction).

As to the schools, EP has very LARGE schools, and even though they are good schools, the Maple Grove schools are not bad schools, and the schools are not near as large as EP. That is not a bad thing.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:27 AM

7 posts, read 28,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaex2027 View Post
I'm not making a decision based on a grocery store, I just like that there is one there. I'm going on a very general feeling I got from my very limited exposure to both cities. We went through 2 houses in each city and drove around a little bit with our realtor. From that, it seems like EP is all subdivisions and strip malls and MG has more open spaces and wooded areas. Am I missing something? I realize that MG could end up just like EP in 10 years, as they are building like crazy out there. But from what I've read on here, I'm a little concerned about the "best of the best" keeping up with the joneses mentality that seems to be the case in EP. But again, I've had very limited exposure so I'm not sure which one I like.
You have perceived correctly about the "best of the best" and EP. There is certainly community pride because their sports teams are always top notch, but I know people who have lived there and moved because of the keeping up with the Joneses mentality and also the racial problem due to the clashing cultures are causing MAJOR problems in the schools and in other areas of the community. I would steer clear of that, especially if you have young children.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:39 AM

987 posts, read 3,819,345 times
I travel to and from Maple Grove often along 169/494/694 and never really run into the traffic situation as described. It's not really that bad, and when the new 610 is done, it'll be really smooth sailing.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:59 PM

432 posts, read 1,660,179 times
I would like to mention that at the EPHS, there is a diverisity fair every year!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:03 PM

138 posts, read 627,617 times
You rock, Debral! I agree. Maple Grove traffic is not a nightmare. I work in Maple Grove and hang out there. If you do not hang out in an area, it's tough to critique. I am a Realtor and when I show houses in Eden Prairie, I get dizzy going around Prairie Center Drive, 212, 5, yada, yada. Good thing, though, is if you keep going, you'll end up where you want to be. Talk about a spaghetti bowl! It's a kookie place. I like it, and won't "dis" it, though. Bottom line, Maple Grove is an awesome area.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:10 AM

20 posts, read 76,159 times
I live in Maple Grove and love it. We're moving due to hubby's new job but we'll miss being so close to everything. Walking trails off the back of our house, the park down the street, great neighbors with kids, the community center and all the choices for eating and shopping. I really don't know why people would get down on Maple Grove, it's a great place to be.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:51 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
I would say Maple Grove hands down. The developments are wooded and there is more shopping and restaurant choices that have very easy access. The commute to MPLS is allot easier and faster than from EP. According to greatschools.net, both MGHS and EPHS get a score of 10. Like most educational rankings, I'm sure it is somewhat subjective.

Median family incomes EP $108,768, MG 96,558. MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Minnesota

Last edited by ozzie679; 05-17-2008 at 09:10 AM..

Old 05-21-2008, 04:05 AM

45 posts, read 175,064 times
Ive lived in maple grove for 6 years now and I love everything about it, although I'll be moving out of state soon due to the crazy weather

Old 05-22-2008, 11:05 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,585 times
Quote:

I live in this area and have never experienced the traffic your talking about. It is bad on Friday's on 94 when everyone is going up noth. Otherwise, it is not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul