Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 12:19 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,037 times

Advertisements

Vikings done. Josh Donaldson just signed. Twins Fest coming up. Need arms for a legitimate run...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 07:39 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,599,451 times
Thought Some of You May Like This One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4nwMDZYXTI&t=311s

Old 01-18-2020, 09:31 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,922,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Vikings done. Josh Donaldson just signed. Twins Fest coming up. Need arms for a legitimate run...

Big signing as long as he's still got something in the tank.

I'm Very worried about our starting pitching situation though. I see no improvement from last year.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:16 AM

I wonder if the JD signing doesn't give them more leverage down the road into the season to trade someone to bring in that ace pitcher that we need.

Old 01-18-2020, 01:19 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,145,721 times
Yeah that's one old 3-4 combo in your lineup.

Old 01-18-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Yeah that's one old 3-4 combo in your lineup.
Did you mean "cold"?

Cruz is "old" but he smashed 41 out last year. Only the third Twin in the history of the franchise to hit 40.

He has shown no signs of slowing down.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:12 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,444,722 times
Quote:
Did you mean "cold"?

Cruz is "old" but he smashed 41 out last year. Only the third Twin in the history of the franchise to hit 40.

He has shown no signs of slowing down.
Let's not forget that MLB all but admitted to juicing the ball last year and went back to the previous ones for the playoffs. I'll be watching intently to see how that affects the Twins homer count this season.

Donaldson is a good player, but 4 years and $92 million for a 34 year old 3rd baseman with an injury history makes me considerably nervous. That said, the Twins had to overpay to get this particular free agent to come here, so it is what it is.

I'm not one of those who thinks they made no effort to sign a big name free agent pitcher, I simply think that none of them wanted to play here and that the cold weather bookending baseball season in Minnesota is a big reason for that......not to mention Minnesota can be a hard sell to players wives/families when they have the option of going anywhere they want for the same or more money. I mean, think about it - the last really big name free agent pitcher to sign here was Jack Morris and he only did so because he's from St. Paul. A year later he was playing for Toronto. All that said, if they're in the race at the All Star break again this year as expected they absolutely have to make a big move for starting pitching....there will be no acceptable excuses if they don't this time around.

I'll be at the home opener vs. Oakland. Got my long johns, hoodie and gloves ready and am looking forward to it.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Let's not forget that MLB all but admitted to juicing the ball last year and went back to the previous ones for the playoffs. I'll be watching intently to see how that affects the Twins homer count this season.

Donaldson is a good player, but 4 years and $92 million for a 34 year old 3rd baseman with an injury history makes me considerably nervous. That said, the Twins had to overpay to get this particular free agent to come here, so it is what it is.

I'm not one of those who thinks they made no effort to sign a big name free agent pitcher, I simply think that none of them wanted to play here and that the cold weather bookending baseball season in Minnesota is a big reason for that......not to mention Minnesota can be a hard sell to players wives/families when they have the option of going anywhere they want for the same or more money. I mean, think about it - the last really big name free agent pitcher to sign here was Jack Morris and he only did so because he's from St. Paul. A year later he was playing for Toronto. All that said, if they're in the race at the All Star break again this year as expected they absolutely have to make a big move for starting pitching....there will be no acceptable excuses if they don't this time around.

I'll be at the home opener vs. Oakland. Got my long johns, hoodie and gloves ready and am looking forward to it.
Have they proved the balls were juiced?

Either way, highest in the entire league was 53 (not even close to the record - Maris' or Bonds) so I would say Cruz's 41 was impressive.

That said, Garver played in almost half as many games and nearly broke the AL catcher record.

Cruz should produce fine in this last year in his contract.

I would replace Sano and Rosario in that above-prohected batting order btw.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:10 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,444,722 times
Quote:
Have they proved the balls were juiced?

I would replace Sano and Rosario in that above-prohected batting order btw.
MLB's explanation for the balls flying last year was that new manufacturing technology enabled the core of the ball to be perfectly centered in the sphere, whereas that was not possible previously......the assertion being that the more centered the core the farther the ball will travel. Many pitchers also reported the seams on the balls were altered last year and then of course the previous version of the balls magically reappeared in postseason.

Did you mean you would get rid of Sano and Rosario or switch their places in the batting order? I'm not a big fan of either of those guys and think one or both of them could be among the players traded at the deadline for some front line starting pitching. Most Twins fans seem to love Sano in particular but he still strikes out way too much and is a defensive liability no matter where he plays in the field.....very one dimensional player. One of the biggest hang ups to the Twins situation right now is the presence of what essentially amounts to 2 DH's (Sano and Cruz) in the starting lineup every day. If Sano is still here when Cruz does retire he will undoubtably become the full time DH and either one of the young up and comers like Kiriloff will take over at 1B or they will move Donaldson to the other corner as he gets up there in age.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:30 AM

779 posts, read 471,757 times
It'll be an interesting year. We SHOULD win the Central. JD was a nice addition for not a lot of money (in baseball terms) for what he is: a good hitter and great fielder. We are paying really for the next 2 years. Anything beyond that is hoping he's serviceable.

I think a lot of the Twins hitters are going to regress some. I don't see Garver having the type of season he had last year and Cruz probably hits 25-30 dongs. Still good though. We are short arms. Hopefully, if we are kicking butt, we finally make a pitching move or 2 at the deadline. I won't hold my breath, but it could happen.

My prediction: Win the Central with 93 wins. We win a first round of Playoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul