Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:28 AM

10 posts, read 23,868 times

Advertisements

My daughter is relocating to Minneapolis to attend graduate school and from our research the Uptown neighborhood looks appealing. She plans to bike to school year-round from wherever she lives. Is there a safe bike route from Uptown to the U? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 09:36 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
This could be done very easily by biking down to the Midtown Greenway. The problem would be dealing with weather conditions December thru March.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:50 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
It is pretty bikable, abt. 5 miles or so. Most of the major pathways are cleared of snow, and winter biking is not uncommon (just prepare yourself and your bike). If need be, the No. 6 bus (metrotransit.com) runs down Hennepin and turns to go down University, it is a major busline and would be a convenient backup. Lastly, all city buses have a bike rack on the front.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:30 AM

Thank you. Are there many bikers along the Greenway up to say 9 or 10pm? Do many people bike at night in Minneapolis in general? We're looking for one-bedroom rentals in the $650-$750 range. Other neighborhoods closer in you would recommend that have a similiar flavor to Uptown (food co-op, options for vegans important--nightlife not so important)?

Old 04-27-2008, 11:29 AM

481 posts, read 1,816,876 times
If she could find something around the St Paul campus she'd have less traffic to contend with, and its also less urban with more tree-lined streets. There was a coop near by when I attended several years ago. Its a more relaxed neighborhood and she could hop the inter-campus shuttle for a fast commute. I don't know if that area would be in your price range, though.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:57 PM

411 posts, read 992,113 times
I can not recommend a single woman riding the greenway at night, especially alone. Most of it is ok but there are areas that make me nervous and attacks are not an unheard of event.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:14 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJulie View Post
Thank you. Are there many bikers along the Greenway up to say 9 or 10pm? Do many people bike at night in Minneapolis in general? We're looking for one-bedroom rentals in the $650-$750 range. Other neighborhoods closer in you would recommend that have a similiar flavor to Uptown (food co-op, options for vegans important--nightlife not so important)?
Yes, but obviously the number of riders drops as the hour gets late, however, during the summer when it is still light outside many people will be on the bike path. The Green Way is not illuminated at night, by the way, which can make it scary for the inexperienced.

Minneapolis supposedly has the second highest bike community in the country, and yes, people do bike through all sorts of hours and weather conditions. Bicyclist are an extremely common sight.

I would explore Whittier for housing options (which by the way, I think that you are confusing with Uptown).

Old 04-27-2008, 01:19 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
I can not recommend a single woman riding the greenway at night, especially alone. Most of it is ok but there are areas that make me nervous and attacks are not an unheard of event.
Safety concerns should be a top priority for anyone, but the Green Way is relatively safe--it is definitely safer then riding a bike down an adjacent street, in my opinion, and most of the 'scum' has been cleaned up since they removed the train tracks and paved the bike path. Right before they tore up the tracks was the last time that I heard of any 'attacks' down in that area. The police occasionally will drive down it as well.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:36 PM

I will add Whittier to our list of neighborhoods. Also, neighborhoods on the St. Paul side, as suggested. The neighborhood maps I'm using don't show the boundaries of Uptown--but by looking at apt listings I can sort of figure out where it is. I see the "Wedge" mentioned a lot.

I won't be happy with my daughter biking anywhere at night, except short distances, perhaps. She might change her tune about bike riding yearpround after spending a winter in Minnesota.

We'll have 4 days to become familiar with the area and find a place for her to rent. Uptown, Longfellow, Grand Ave (not that close, I know), maybe Como & St. Anthony's are the areas we've identified so far. She doesn't want a student-dominated community.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:54 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJulie View Post
Other neighborhoods closer in you would recommend that have a similiar flavor to Uptown (food co-op, options for vegans important--nightlife not so important)?
check out Seward
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul