Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 09:49 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,427,301 times

Advertisements

No one cherry picked anything. People shared and blew this story up because it was freaking outrageous for the community and people who witnessed it.

Those who abuse power would like to make something like this go away. ---Maybe this cop messed up and didn't think the guy would die, maybe he has done this all along in past arrests and it hasn't been an issue to the outside world because no one died or no one was there to film it, maybe he is full of hate and racism, or maybe just taking out his stress on civilians is a regular thing. Whatever the reason. --- But things like this are harder and harder to hide because thankfully people have 4K cameras in their pocket that can be instantly uploaded to the web.

You may say cherry picked. I say, how many of these have we missed because no one was there to record it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 10:12 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
I'm usually pro police, but wow...... That was disgraceful. Sadly the bystanders were in fear. Not for nothing, but they should have jumped the cops.
Interesting note that the "suspect" called out for his mom. One of the only times that is heard is on the battlefield when a soldier knows there is no way out and death is coming. This man died on the street. Truly a tragedy.
On the flip side, and not defending the PD what so ever .. committing any crime could cost you your life.

Great idea. and how do you think that would've have ended? A standing ovation with $500 gift certificates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not necessarily true...Look up the article about a black doctor in FL getting handcuffed by his home: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...mp/ncna1185416

Even he stated that such situations can escalate into something else. So, it may come down to what has been captured.
I'm familiar with that story. You basically answered my question, these things seem to never end terribly for the better portion of the black community. Basically people like me with something to lose and avoid having ugly police encounters. That doctor is alive today.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:42 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post

I'm familiar with that story. You basically answered my question, these things seem to never end terribly for the better portion of the black community. Basically people like me with something to lose and avoid having ugly police encounters. That doctor is alive today.

You appear not to get the point.

Quote:
The home security footage appeared to show a police sergeant handcuffing Dr. Armen Henderson, an internal medicine physician at the University of Miami Health System, as he was placing camping tents in his van. According to Henderson, the officer asked him what he was doing and if he was littering – Henderson told him he lived there.

How does "placing camping tents in his van" appear to be "littering?"

Yes, we can say in this case it did not "end terribly" for the doctor, but the point is: Why did it start in the first place?

Old 05-27-2020, 12:45 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,422,608 times
More hypocrisy within the law enforcement system in America. They "accidentally" (yeah right) snuff out a guy that has not committed a violent crime, yet we keep degenerate serial killers like Charles Manson alive in prison (feeding him, clothing him) for decade upon decade upon decade along with countless other murderers.

Those cops should be sent to prison.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:03 AM

93,428 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Great idea. and how do you think that would've have ended? A standing ovation with $500 gift certificates

Maybe the bigger question is why was the doctor engaged in the first place? I think there are more of those stories than people may know about and it may have more to do with how some people report things to law enforcement.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-27-2020 at 04:17 AM..

Old 05-27-2020, 06:23 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,680,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Sure and as I said, the background of the officer doesn’t necessarily make a difference, but what is the “agenda” here, when it is pretty obvious as to what occurred in the video?

Again, you mentioned Noor and the difference is that he is serving time for what he did. So, we will see what will happen with this incident.
I didn't see massive national outrage when the officers who killed Andrew Finch or Daniel Shaver were not thrown in prison. In fact, both continued to work as police officers. There was no marching, rioting, or statements made by Madonna.

I know this case was not a shooting, but there are roughly 3 fatal shootings made by police officers every day in the U.S., with a certain number of them being unjustified. Most do not make the national news despite there being video footage. It's also very obvious what occurred in those videos as well, but most of those stories are flat out ignored, while others are picked up by national media. Why does the national media choose to cover certain cases in detail, yet ignore others? When news stories are written, why are racial descriptors used in some and not in others? Where is the national outrage that, by far, the biggest descriptor of fatal police shootings is the "victim" being male, rather than being member of a certain race?

With every news story covered by national media there is an agenda.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:02 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You appear not to get the point.

How does "placing camping tents in his van" appear to be "littering?"

Yes, we can say in this case it did not "end terribly" for the doctor, but the point is: Why did it start in the first place?
Because being a cop is a cop is a high stress job that often doesn't require high education, and features many people one level removed from the streets. Most just wanna get home, but quite a few or power trip jerks. So expect to not always be treated so nicely, it's how you handle it. Like Denzel Washington said "it's a rigged system, why play into it?"

Throw in the fact that cops , black or white have an inherent distrust for black people, and honestly with FBI crime numbers do you blame them when black males make up roughly 6% of the US population and are responsible year in and year and year out for 50% of the nations violent crimes. That's an insane stat.

My step-father used to tell me to not engage with cops in the street. Don't go verbally back and forth, and certainly not get physical. You're young and black so most won't like you to begin with. Just Listen to the questions and commands and If you get ruffed up or arrested unfairly, me and your mother will come deal with it later.

In my 40's not, been stopped at least 15-20 times and somehow still alive, just lucky?

Old 05-27-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Because being a cop is a cop is a high stress job that often doesn't require high education, and features many people one level removed from the streets. Most just wanna get home, but quite a few or power trip jerks. So expect to not always be treated so nicely, it's how you handle it. Like Denzel Washington said "it's a rigged system, why play into it?"

Throw in the fact that cops , black or white have an inherent distrust for black people, and honestly with FBI crime numbers do you blame them when black males make up roughly 6% of the US population and are responsible year in and year and year out for 50% of the nations violent crimes. That's an insane stat.

My step-father used to tell me to not engage with cops in the street. Don't go verbally back and forth, and certainly not get physical. You're young and black so most won't like you to begin with. Just Listen to the questions and commands and If you get ruffed up or arrested unfairly, me and your mother will come deal with it later.

In my 40's not, been stopped at least 15-20 times and somehow still alive, just lucky?

You're trying to rationalize that needing to treat every police officer like a feral pit bull is a satisfactory state of affairs.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I didn't see massive national outrage when the officers who killed Andrew Finch or Daniel Shaver were not thrown in prison. In fact, both continued to work as police officers. There was no marching, rioting, or statements made by Madonna.

I know this case was not a shooting, but there are roughly 3 fatal shootings made by police officers every day in the U.S., with a certain number of them being unjustified. Most do not make the national news despite there being video footage. It's also very obvious what occurred in those videos as well, but most of those stories are flat out ignored, while others are picked up by national media. Why does the national media choose to cover certain cases in detail, yet ignore others? When news stories are written, why are racial descriptors used in some and not in others? Where is the national outrage that, by far, the biggest descriptor of fatal police shootings is the "victim" being male, rather than being member of a certain race?

In most cases, the media is responding to local community outrage (often displayed on social media generated by the community).

It has always been a mystery to me that white communities shrug off the police killings of white people. But if they were to begin trending these issues in social media, there would be a national media response because the national media will always go for chum like sharks.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:35 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,392,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post

I know this case was not a shooting, but there are roughly 3 fatal shootings made by police officers every day in the U.S., Just stop it already. Really 3 a day? There were 49 shootings in Chicago the other day, and 10 deaths. lol you've got to get perspective.with a certain number of them being unjustified. Most do not make the national news despite there being video footage. It's also very obvious what occurred in those videos as well, but most of those stories are flat out ignored, while others are picked up by national media. Why does the national media choose to cover certain cases in detail, yet ignore others? When news stories are written, why are racial descriptors used in some and not in others? Where is the national outrage that, by far, the biggest descriptor of fatal police shootings is the "victim" being male, rather than being member of a certain race?

Sighs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul