Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 11:33 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,346,822 times

Advertisements

Look, let's break things down here...
I live in New Jersey and 20 years ago, there was a major scandal involving the State Police here in which the troopers were disproportionately stopping cars on the Turnpike, whose drivers were black, ordering the occupants out, handcuffing the cars' occupants and searching their cars - FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN! Very few - repeat, VERY FEW of those actually had illegal contraband (narcotics, weapons) in their vehicles or on their person! In the case that opened this "Pandora's Box", the troopers drew their weapons and opened fire on two black men (unarmed!) The men survived, and it was discovered that they neither resisted nor were carrying any narcotics or other! My point is that you can be doing everything within the law, and cops will "invent" a reason to stop you, ESPECIALLY if you are a minority! If you're driving a nice car - they'll think you stole it. If you're driving at the legal speed - you were "weaving", thus assuming you're drunk! The light just changed from green to yellow - you ran a red! "Let me see your license and registration!" Go for your wallet - very carefully at that - BOOM! You're blown away! "I thought he was reaching for a gun!" the cop will swear, "I felt my life was in danger!" Meanwhile, you had nothing but your wallet, containing your license...
I don't condone the rioting and looting by any means, but think of the high ratio of unarmed black men killed by overzealous police officers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 01:49 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,072,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Look, let's break things down here...
I live in New Jersey and 20 years ago, there was a major scandal involving the State Police here in which the troopers were disproportionately stopping cars on the Turnpike, whose drivers were black, ordering the occupants out, handcuffing the cars' occupants and searching their cars - FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN! Very few - repeat, VERY FEW of those actually had illegal contraband (narcotics, weapons) in their vehicles or on their person! In the case that opened this "Pandora's Box", the troopers drew their weapons and opened fire on two black men (unarmed!) The men survived, and it was discovered that they neither resisted nor were carrying any narcotics or other! My point is that you can be doing everything within the law, and cops will "invent" a reason to stop you, ESPECIALLY if you are a minority! If you're driving a nice car - they'll think you stole it. If you're driving at the legal speed - you were "weaving", thus assuming you're drunk! The light just changed from green to yellow - you ran a red! "Let me see your license and registration!" Go for your wallet - very carefully at that - BOOM! You're blown away! "I thought he was reaching for a gun!" the cop will swear, "I felt my life was in danger!" Meanwhile, you had nothing but your wallet, containing your license...
I don't condone the rioting and looting by any means, but think of the high ratio of unarmed black men killed by overzealous police officers!
Police who do what you described above should be fired, period. There are bad cops, just as there are bad mechanics, teachers, and lawyers, and all of them need to find jobs they are good at. At the same time, what is the actual data on the "high ratio" of which you speak? How many unjustified killings of blacks by police actually took place in your city last year?

Old 06-01-2020, 02:23 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Police who do what you described above should be fired, period. There are bad cops, just as there are bad mechanics, teachers, and lawyers, and all of them need to find jobs they are good at. At the same time, what is the actual data on the "high ratio" of which you speak? How many unjustified killings of blacks by police actually took place in your city last year?
So everything else up to killing someone is your standard?

Old 06-01-2020, 02:24 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,692,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Body camera footage would show that, they're probably holding on to it because releasing their images of brutality may not be advisable at this time. Probably the reason they fired them so quickly.
I do agree with you that the body cam footage is probably pretty ugly and would only inflame the situation and it probably is best that it not be public right now.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:16 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,452,261 times
Now the family’s doctors are saying Floyd was strangled in contrast to the Hennepin County Medical Examiners findings. Big freekin surprise. This is just gonna be one back and forth after another for the duration now.......and you know the trial(s) are gonna be an absolute circus.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 06-01-2020 at 03:43 PM..

Old 06-01-2020, 04:59 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,072,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
So everything else up to killing someone is your standard?
The intent of my question was to challenge ItsRick's assertion of "but think of the high ratio of unarmed black men killed by overzealous police officers!", thinking that perhaps he knows something that I am unaware of, and maybe he could illuminate me with actual data vs. emotional hearsay. I am awaiting his response. As to your question, I don't have a friggin' clue what you're asking, feel free to elaborate.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
The intent of my question was to challenge ItsRick's assertion of "but think of the high ratio of unarmed black men killed by overzealous police officers!", thinking that perhaps he knows something that I am unaware of, and maybe he could illuminate me with actual data vs. emotional hearsay. I am awaiting his response. As to your question, I don't have a friggin' clue what you're asking, feel free to elaborate.
Sure, I can give you data:

Sean Bell - killed by NYPD (shot)
Anthony Baez - killed by NYPD (chokehold)
Malice Green - killed by Detroit PD (beaten to death)
Michael Brown - killed by Ferguson, MO PD (shot)
Walter Scott - killed by North Charleston, SC PD (shot in back)
Breonna Taylor - killed by Louisville, KY PD (shot)

The list goes on....and on.... But I'm not gonna clog the thread with endless names. Just Google it!

Old 06-01-2020, 06:35 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,784,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrobat612 View Post
I live on Lake Street here are some of the photos of the cleanup I assisted with on Saturday and Sunday.

I love this community and we will rebuild. We will get justice for George Floyd, police reform, and for improved community relations in this city.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Nmy7zLX
Good for you. I went to the Strib website and saw all the places damaged and destroyed and it was pretty sad. I lived for a long time (teens to 40s)down by the VA hospital. I’ve been in many places that are gone. Possibly the saddest is the Mercado on Bloomington and the midtown market.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:44 PM

4,870 posts, read 6,935,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Sure, I can give you data:

Sean Bell - killed by NYPD (shot)
Anthony Baez - killed by NYPD (chokehold)
Malice Green - killed by Detroit PD (beaten to death)
Michael Brown - killed by Ferguson, MO PD (shot)
Walter Scott - killed by North Charleston, SC PD (shot in back)
Breonna Taylor - killed by Louisville, KY PD (shot)

The list goes on....and on.... But I'm not gonna clog the thread with endless names. Just Google it!
I can give you data too. There's so much out there often skewed one way or the other by those trying to make their case. All THESE lists go on....and on....

Following are those shot to death by police from 2017 up to now separated by race. I doubt the % would change much adding other ways of being killed by police. Yes, there are more white people than black people in the U.S., but the % killed isn't way out of whack in comparison.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...olice-by-race/

What has escalated over the last decade is the number of police being targeted. I'll tell you this, I would never put on a badge and patrol most of our major cities and a hell of a lot of mid-size cities.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I can give you data too. There's so much out there often skewed one way or the other by those trying to make their case. All THESE lists go on....and on....

Following are those shot to death by police from 2017 up to now separated by race. I doubt the % would change much adding other ways of being killed by police. Yes, there are more white people than black people in the U.S., but the % killed isn't way out of whack in comparison.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...olice-by-race/

What has escalated over the last decade is the number of police being targeted. I'll tell you this, I would never put on a badge and patrol most of our major cities and a hell of a lot of mid-size cities.
Where have you been? Police have been targeted for as long as there's been police! Yes, police officers are shot but that's part of the job! You put that uniform on, knowing that you might not make it home at the end of the day (or night). Sounds too much like you're insinuating that cops are killed by minorities all the time. I'd rethink that if I were you! I can give you lists of non-minorities (i.e. White people) who have shot police officers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul