Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 11:47 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I didn't see massive national outrage when the officers who killed Andrew Finch or Daniel Shaver were not thrown in prison. In fact, both continued to work as police officers. There was no marching, rioting, or statements made by Madonna.

I know this case was not a shooting, but there are roughly 3 fatal shootings made by police officers every day in the U.S., with a certain number of them being unjustified. Most do not make the national news despite there being video footage. It's also very obvious what occurred in those videos as well, but most of those stories are flat out ignored, while others are picked up by national media. Why does the national media choose to cover certain cases in detail, yet ignore others? When news stories are written, why are racial descriptors used in some and not in others? Where is the national outrage that, by far, the biggest descriptor of fatal police shootings is the "victim" being male, rather than being member of a certain race?

With every news story covered by national media there is an agenda.
So you're really confused as to why LEOs executing their public trust in accordance with the law isn't big news compared to LEOs unlawfully killing citizenry?

Really?

That eludes you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 12:24 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
So you're really confused as to why LEOs executing their public trust in accordance with the law isn't big news compared to LEOs unlawfully killing citizenry?

Really?

That eludes you?

I don't think most people believe Andrew Finch or Daniel Shaver were killed in accordance with the law. In addition, neither one was breaking the law when police came to arrest them. Neither resisted arrest or fought with police at any time, yet they were still shot. How was this in accordance with the law?

Here is the aftermath of the the Andrew Finch killing.
"Many Wichita residents and other US-based commentators have expressed concern over the death of Finch. Wichita residents used the opportunity of a city council meeting on January 9 to voice concerns on the subject...Finch's 18-year-old niece Adelina, who had lived with Finch since 2002 and witnessed his death, committed suicide in 2019."

With Daniel Shaver, the police officer was medically retired due to PTSD related to shooting Daniel Shaver, then given a $2,500/month pension.

Where were the protests and the marches in these cases? These things happen to people of all races. Local communities were outraged with these two cases, but the national media, including celebrity figures and politicians, certainly didn't take up the cause. Quotes and interviews from family members were not plastered on the front page day after day.

There's definitely a virtue signaling involved when people take up certain causes, yet completely ignore other ones if it doesn't help show how "woke" they are.

I think the officer from the Castile shooting should be in prison, but also the ones from Finch and Shaver. The cop in this case, Chauvin, should go to jail, as in any wrongful death. However, the hysteria should be the same for all wrongful deaths, not just ones that allow you to appear "woke."

Old 05-27-2020, 02:02 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Because being a cop is a cop is a high stress job that often doesn't require high education, and features many people one level removed from the streets. Most just wanna get home, but quite a few or power trip jerks. So expect to not always be treated so nicely, it's how you handle it. Like Denzel Washington said "it's a rigged system, why play into it?"

Throw in the fact that cops , black or white have an inherent distrust for black people, and honestly with FBI crime numbers do you blame them when black males make up roughly 6% of the US population and are responsible year in and year and year out for 50% of the nations violent crimes. That's an insane stat.

My step-father used to tell me to not engage with cops in the street. Don't go verbally back and forth, and certainly not get physical. You're young and black so most won't like you to begin with. Just Listen to the questions and commands and If you get ruffed up or arrested unfairly, me and your mother will come deal with it later.

In my 40's not, been stopped at least 15-20 times and somehow still alive, just lucky?

Unless you were doing shady stuff, I think the problem is the fact that you have been stopped 15-20 times in your life, in the first place.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:04 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You're trying to rationalize that needing to treat every police officer like a feral pit bull is a satisfactory state of affairs.
Look, Do wanna live after a police encounter or no? I didn't say whether they're overall behavior was right or wrong, I'm telling how as a black person raised in a poor area I've made it into my 40's not being an idiot when getting stopped by cops which has happened quite a bit.

They're not machines, and even machine malfunction. They typically have NO IDEA who they are when they approach you and have extra caution. The cops who go about the job lackadaisical end up dead. So my point was play the game right if you wanna live or not spend an unnecessary night in jail. If that means treating them like feral pitbulls, so be it.

Orrrrrrrrr, people can do it your way and end up with a different result ----pop pop pop

I bet you this New York Cop wished he approached this car with black dudes more cautiously. But being in uber liberal NY, he was probably told not to be openly overly cautious with minorities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...sel_Timoshenko

Old 05-27-2020, 03:44 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Do all unlawful acts deserve death penalty by a knee on the throat for 10 min??
You are being inhumane because you identify with and defend a savage act by a cold blooded cop who took great pleasure in snuffing out a human over a 10-min span without an eye blink...a hungry animal in the jungle could be more humane than he was...
I never defended the cop. I said they should have let up. Go back and read the post before you sprout rabies and a mouth full of foam. Those cops are going to jail....especially the knee cop....and we all know it. I wouldn’t even be surprised if they charge the knee cop with a lesser degree of murder. A manslaughter charge just doesn’t seem to fit what that guy did. I saw the video and was appalled as anyone. I don’t know what those guys could have possibly been thinking. It’s like they were in some kind of trance. There was no explanation or excuse for any of it.

And like I also said, all of it could have been avoided if the guy hadn’t committed a crime and then subsequently resisted arrest. Crime tends to lend itself to bad outcomes. Does it justify what happened? Hell no, no one can defend what the cops did......but it was the perp who made the decision to put himself in that position to begin with and that is also indisputable.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 05-27-2020 at 04:04 PM..

Old 05-27-2020, 03:49 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post

I say, how many of these have we missed because no one was there to record it?
And, just to keep a balanced view, how many killings of police officers have we missed?

According to FBI data, 40 percent of cop killers are black. A police officer is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black man than a cop killing an unarmed black person.

I know that may be a cause for celebration for some people but rationally it makes sense then that police would respond differently with them. It's the result of fear.

Nothing can justify what happened but just as I understand the factors that influenced the murder Officer Noor committed I can also understand why this officer made the tragic decision he did.

Incidentally, a study conducted by the University of Pennsylvania criminologist Greg Ridgeway determined that black cops were 3.3 times more likely to fire a gun than other cops at a crime scene.

Absolutely nothing justifies defiance of the law but it's important to understand facts on both sides of the fence before vilifying an entire population of Law Enforcement workers.

This helps take it out of the realm of emotional responses into into the realm of rational thought. That's always the best response.

If the officer had thought rationally instead of feeling intimidated this never would have happened. The more they hassled him the more determined he was to prove his power. Yikes.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:53 PM

5,123 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I never defended the cop. I said they should have let up. Go back and read the post before you sprout rabies and get a moth full of foam. Those cops are going to jail....especially the knee cop....and we all know it. I wouldn’t even be surprised if they charge the knee cop with a lesser degree of murder. A manslaughter charge just doesn’t seem to fit what that guy did. I saw the video and was appalled as anyone. I don’t know what those guys could have possibly been thinking. It’s like they were in some kind of trance. There was no explanation or excuse for any of it.

And like I also said, all of it could have been avoided if the guy hadn’t committed a crime and then subsequently resisted arrest. Crime tends to lend itself to bad outcomes. Does it justify what happened? Hell no, no one can defend what the cops did......but it was the perp who made the decision to put himself in that position to begin with and that is also indisputable.
See, this makes more sense and you sound more like a human now...

Old 05-27-2020, 05:10 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Unless you were doing shady stuff, I think the problem is the fact that you have been stopped 15-20 times in your life, in the first place.
Dude, you like in Alaska. You're quite detached from the reality of living in populated towns. My whole has spent living under LAPD and NYPD, the 2 biggest police forces in the country. If you've been driving since 18 regularly, especially a black male, you WILL get pulled over. And most weren't bad encounters and went pretty peacefully, but again I don't act like a damm fool when they pull me over either.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I never defended the cop. I said they should have let up. Go back and read the post before you sprout rabies and a mouth full of foam. Those cops are going to jail....especially the knee cop....and we all know it. I wouldn’t even be surprised if they charge the knee cop with a lesser degree of murder. A manslaughter charge just doesn’t seem to fit what that guy did. I saw the video and was appalled as anyone. I don’t know what those guys could have possibly been thinking. It’s like they were in some kind of trance. There was no explanation or excuse for any of it.

You keep leaving out one key word....allegedly.

There has only been an allegation he committed a crime but I have not seen any evidence presented and he was certainly never given basic due process.

Whether or not, he committed the crime no longer matters because, through their actions, the police changed his status from criminal suspect to murder victim.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Dude, you like in Alaska. You're quite detached from the reality of living in populated towns. My whole has spent living under LAPD and NYPD, the 2 biggest police forces in the country. If you've been driving since 18 regularly, especially a black male, you WILL get pulled over. And most weren't bad encounters and went pretty peacefully, but again I don't act like a damm fool when they pull me over either.
First, I live in Alaska NOW but I don't "like" Alaska, it's just where the work is.

Second, before I moved to Alaska, I lived on the East Coast under Philly, DC, and Baltimore PD for almost as long as you've been alive. Yet, unlike you, I managed to be stopped for DWB, only a handful of times.

Your turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul