Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 08:18 PM

6,569 posts, read 7,164,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
You had better start begging people to come back as tourists to this city. I know you love to poo poo any possible negatives that have been generated from the violence and disgusting political climate that the TC metro area has, but people outside your city have become all too aware of your issues. You've got some major problems, and sticking your head in the sand or living in denial aren't helping the situation.

I know the response. "We don't need these outside tourists and visitors". Try to convince your motel owners, bars, restaurant owners, major sports franchises, lakeshore businesses, theaters, and malls if that's true. ALL are hurting and will continue so as long as you have the city idiots in charge that you have.

I miss the old Minneapolis-St. Paul that I used to feel comfortable visiting.

I won't be coming back soon.
I was talking with a guy (who I grew up with his son) yesterday. He built a house in Cologne after living in St Paul/Roseville his whole life. He said zero people there will visit or trades people will not take work in Mpls or cities in general now. They all think their equipment will be stolen if it’s ever left at a job site, say it’s not worth losing $10k in tools for a job.

My friend did sewer work two blocks from Cup Foods in late July. They left no equipment overnight (that’s never been the case prior) and each employee had a gun on them.

These are just A few examples of what the outside area is seeing it as...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 08:31 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,721,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I was talking with a guy (who I grew up with his son) yesterday. He built a house in Cologne after living in St Paul/Roseville his whole life. He said zero people there will visit or trades people will not take work in Mpls or cities in general now. They all think their equipment will be stolen if it’s ever left at a job site, say it’s not worth losing $10k in tools for a job.

My friend did sewer work two blocks from Cup Foods in late July. They left no equipment overnight (that’s never been the case prior) and each employee had a gun on them.

I have had no problem getting people to work on my house this fall. I have done several remodels and no one ever leaves their tools on the job site. They always go back in their trailer or truck for the simple reason that I don’t want their stuff laying around and most good tradespeople are working multiple jobs at the same time.

Now if he’s talking about workers from Cologne coming to Minneapolis, they may well be reluctant to do so, but no one here is relying on them anyway.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:21 PM

6,569 posts, read 7,164,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I have had no problem getting people to work on my house this fall. I have done several remodels and no one ever leaves their tools on the job site. They always go back in their trailer or truck for the simple reason that I don’t want their stuff laying around and most good tradespeople are working multiple jobs at the same time.

Now if he’s talking about workers from Cologne coming to Minneapolis, they may well be reluctant to do so, but no one here is relying on them anyway.
This part is what he seemed to be mentioning. It didn’t make much sense to me when he talked about it .

Old 10-24-2020, 06:19 AM

455 posts, read 1,115,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Not really, things have calmed down, greatly.

Charges: Boogaloo Bois fired on Minneapolis police precinct, shouted 'Justice for Floyd'
“In the wake of protests following the May 25 killing of George Floyd, a member of the “Boogaloo Bois” opened fire on Minneapolis Police Third Precinct with an AK-47-style gun and screamed “Justice for Floyd” as he ran away, according to a federal complaint made public Friday.

A sworn affidavit by the FBI underlying the complaint reveals new details about a far-right anti-government group’s coordinated role in the violence that roiled through civil unrest over the Floyd’s death while in police custody.“ STAR TRIBUNE / October 23, 2020 - 12:09 PM / https://www.startribune.com/charges-...oyd/572843802/
Whatever. The Star Trib is a leftist paper. Sure there were far-right extremist groups burning buildings, but also a lot of leftist crime. And it isnt the boogaloos who are assaulting and carjacking like crazy in Mpls right now.

Last edited by lalife; 10-24-2020 at 06:43 AM..

Old 10-24-2020, 06:29 AM

455 posts, read 1,115,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post

Sounds accurate to me. I rent here in Mpls and will be leaving when my landlady sells her house in a year or so. Currently, i grocery shop in the suburbs and buy gas there too. When I walk to my car that is parked on the street, i am constantly watching my surroundings. Neighbor was carjacked last sunday in daylight. Groups of thugs are terrorizing Mpls...

Old 10-24-2020, 11:29 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,388,658 times
Here an update from the Strib:

Minneapolis, St. Paul housing exodus more myth than reality

https://m.startribune.com/home-sales...too/572845322/

Old 10-24-2020, 11:36 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,876,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
Whatever. The Star Trib is a leftist paper. Sure there were far-right extremist groups burning buildings, but also a lot of leftist crime. And it isnt the boogaloos who are assaulting and carjacking like crazy in Mpls right now.
Moved the goal posts, because no one posted anything about “boogaloos car jacking in Minneapolis right now”. You posted “there are riots to pay for and more to come.”. That’s what I responded to. Your words were reminiscent of the the boogaloo communications from the article I linked. “More to come.”

Why so defensive of boogaloo boys? Try to post without using the word ‘leftist”.

Old 10-24-2020, 12:01 PM

542 posts, read 449,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
You had better start begging people to come back as tourists to this city. I know you love to poo poo any possible negatives that have been generated from the violence and disgusting political climate that the TC metro area has, but people outside your city have become all too aware of your issues. You've got some major problems, and sticking your head in the sand or living in denial aren't helping the situation.

I know the response. "We don't need these outside tourists and visitors". Try to convince your motel owners, bars, restaurant owners, major sports franchises, lakeshore businesses, theaters, and malls if that's true. ALL are hurting and will continue so as long as you have the city idiots in charge that you have.

I miss the old Minneapolis-St. Paul that I used to feel comfortable visiting.

I won't be coming back soon.
I hope we are not getting any tourists from ND, SD, IOWA, or WISC with surging CoVID-19 cases (SD - per capita- and WISC are going nuclear with their cases). Business in Minneapolis is driven by local residents and suburbs for the most part. The violence will probably fall short of the mid 90s levels and not have a significant effect long term, but CoVID more specifically, and riots, to a lesser extent, will be the biggest factor in business. The political climate has not changed that much, so I don't think that is a factor.

Motels will feel a pinch (again mainly to CoVID and sporting events not occurring). I am unaware of the businesses in Minneapolis that rely on the lakeshore, so I can't comment on that. Theaters and Malls have a been sidelined due to CoVID.

According to some, after Nov 3, CoVID will disappear. I hope they are right, but science seems to disagree.
A safe vaccine and better national strategy for CoVID-19 will be the key to Minneapolis business success.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 10-24-2020 at 01:06 PM..

Old 10-24-2020, 02:33 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,095,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
I hope we are not getting any tourists from ND, SD, IOWA, or WISC with surging CoVID-19 cases (SD - per capita- and WISC are going nuclear with their cases). Business in Minneapolis is driven by local residents and suburbs for the most part. The violence will probably fall short of the mid 90s levels and not have a significant effect long term, but CoVID more specifically, and riots, to a lesser extent, will be the biggest factor in business. The political climate has not changed that much, so I don't think that is a factor.

Motels will feel a pinch (again mainly to CoVID and sporting events not occurring). I am unaware of the businesses in Minneapolis that rely on the lakeshore, so I can't comment on that. Theaters and Malls have a been sidelined due to CoVID.

According to some, after Nov 3, CoVID will disappear. I hope they are right, but science seems to disagree.
A safe vaccine and better national strategy for CoVID-19 will be the key to Minneapolis business success.
no kidding, South Dakota being the worst...even worse than Wisconsin and that's saying a lot

Old 12-14-2020, 02:29 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,388,658 times
As we approach mid-December I’m looking at the market. Demand for real estate within Minneapolis city limits remains hot. In the month of October Minneapolis outpaced St. Paul and most of the suburbs in sales according to the Star Tribune.

https://m.startribune.com/twin-citie...1/?clmob=y&c=n

Oh, and most city residents are going to pay less in property taxes in 2021 than they paid in 2020. Not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul