Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2021, 06:14 PM

9 posts, read 7,964 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Me and my wife are thinking of making Columbia Heights our home. We previously have lived in uptown minneapolis in an apartment and now with a child we need the extra room and are looking to buy.

We like NE Minneapolis but the housing prices are pretty steep there, we are looking to Columbia Heights as we enjoy the diversity it has, lower property taxes etc. I feel that more folk our age are looking to Columbia Heights now with the market being pretty crazy.

If anyone can provide some input on Columbia Heights that is familiar with the city that would be great, thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 07:05 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
My neighbor recently retired from working with school districts all over via budgets, leadership, etc...He was paid very well and still gets districts offering to use his services. (He’s late 70’s now and retired last year via all his contracting work because everyone wants him). He just told me Columbia Heights have good schools and excellent leadership. Has a high poverty rate, but have beat the odds with above state average graduation rates. Also mentioned good advanced graduation classes.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:14 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
I have a niece that teaches at a school in Columbia Heights. She likes it. Her and her husband also live not too far away, in St. Anthony. Nice little house in a fairly diverse neighborhood. Starter home for them, and less expensive than places to the north and east (Fridley, New Brighton, Arden Hills).

Old 03-30-2021, 06:32 PM

83 posts, read 130,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I have a niece that teaches at a school in Columbia Heights. She likes it. Her and her husband also live not too far away, in St. Anthony. Nice little house in a fairly diverse neighborhood. Starter home for them, and less expensive than places to the north and east (Fridley, New Brighton, Arden Hills).
Saint Anthony Village is in a totally different (much higher) league than Columbia Heights when looking at safety, schools, amenities, location, reputation... and the prices reflect that.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:33 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMN2BE View Post
Saint Anthony Village is in a totally different (much higher) league than Columbia Heights when looking at safety, schools, amenities, location, reputation... and the prices reflect that.
I can throw a rock from where in live in Roseville and hit St Anthony. $400k is bottom rung there with many above $700k in the hills around the high school.

Old 04-01-2021, 03:55 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMN2BE View Post
That didn't sound like the neighborhood that my niece lives in so I checked with my brother. She lives in Columbia Heights, west of Sullivan Lake, which puts the house in northern CH. It is a nice starter-house neighborhood.

I will have to take a drive through St. Anthony Village some time.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:41 AM

126 posts, read 244,899 times
I live in the Waite Park neighborhood of NE, so close to both St. Anthony Village and the western part of Columbia Heights. I've lived here for 21 years after moving from a rental about a mile away in New Brighton. The western and northern parts of CH seem a bit quieter to me, as you're a bit farther away from the more commercial parts.

The commercial areas have some gems though too. Minneapolis Saw Co, where I take my snowblower and lawnmower for tune-ups, does great work at really reasonable rates. The Anoka Government Center on Central has the friendliest staff for when it's time to renew your license or tabs. There are lots of great choices for non-chain restaurants nearby, from Amos BBQ to Adama to Sarna's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul