Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 12:46 PM

22 posts, read 74,623 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Minnesota next year to be closer to family. We are a family of 4 - one middle schooler and one high schooler. So school district is obviously very important - we are looking at the Wayzata school district. This seems to cross Wayzata, parts of Plymouth and parts of Maple Grove. Our budget is around 700k, which seems doable in these areas. However, we have one additional preference - we'd like to have a walkable neigborhood - so access to shopping areas, restaurants within walking distance. The houses I saw so far don't seem to have this - most of the areas don't even have sidewalks!

So my question is - are there any neighborhoods within this school district that I can focus on, which will be more walkable? Alternately, are there any other suburbs with good schools and a walkable neighborhood? I looked at Edina - it seems to be more walkable, but doesn't seem to have good schools (per greatschools). However, greatschools.org doesn't always give the complete picture, so any insights or suggestions would be helpful - I really want to make this work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 02:55 PM

6,545 posts, read 7,127,359 times
Downtown Wayzata is walkable, but nothing is for sale, plus your budget doesn’t seem to fit it. 50th and France in Edina would fit it, but there isn’t anything in your price range in Edina area, and not many listings now. The east side of 50th is Mpls though. I’d keep an eye on both those areas. Edina schools are not bad, but others can comment more on that.

Old 07-13-2021, 05:16 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Downtown Wayzata is walkable, but nothing is for sale, plus your budget doesn’t seem to fit it. 50th and France in Edina would fit it, but there isn’t anything in your price range in Edina area, and not many listings now. The east side of 50th is Mpls though. I’d keep an eye on both those areas. Edina schools are not bad, but others can comment more on that.
From my view Edina schools are excellent. I don’t rely on sites like Great Schools. It seems like more often than not they aren’t a good reflection of reality.

Old 07-13-2021, 05:54 PM

106 posts, read 161,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gruffalo View Post
We are thinking of moving to Minnesota next year to be closer to family. We are a family of 4 - one middle schooler and one high schooler. So school district is obviously very important - we are looking at the Wayzata school district. This seems to cross Wayzata, parts of Plymouth and parts of Maple Grove. Our budget is around 700k, which seems doable in these areas. However, we have one additional preference - we'd like to have a walkable neigborhood - so access to shopping areas, restaurants within walking distance. The houses I saw so far don't seem to have this - most of the areas don't even have sidewalks!

So my question is - are there any neighborhoods within this school district that I can focus on, which will be more walkable? Alternately, are there any other suburbs with good schools and a walkable neighborhood? I looked at Edina - it seems to be more walkable, but doesn't seem to have good schools (per greatschools). However, greatschools.org doesn't always give the complete picture, so any insights or suggestions would be helpful - I really want to make this work!
Glen Lake area in Minnetonka has what you are seeking. If you are within a mile of the Excelsior Blvd and Eden Prairie Rd intersection, you will be within a walk or bike ride of nice amenities. New trail connection to downtown Hopkins, itself an improving walkable district, is under construction now.

This area is in the Hopkins school district, which is a well regarded suburban district but doesn’t quite have the panache of the Edina, Wayzata, or Minnetonka districts. (N.B. the Minnetonka school district doesn’t serve much of the city of Minnetonka. Most of the city of Minnetonka is in the Hopkins district.)

Old 07-14-2021, 09:54 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I will dig into them. Unlike Edina, which is 7 on great schools, Hopkins seems to be a 4 which would worry me a bit. I will have to see details on that score to understand it more.

Are the Wayzata downtown properties always priced so high? I see one house for a million, a few blocks from the shore - is that an artifact of the current market or are these prices likely to last?

Old 07-14-2021, 10:12 PM

Downtown Wayzata is about as close to nice LA beach town as you’ll find in the state. Prices reflect it. If you look at the homes on lake going down on map from left side of downtown, they’re all over $5m, some over $10m.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:41 PM

249 posts, read 504,288 times
Your kids will be fine no matter where they go based solely on their parents caring about them as reflected by your question. Great Schools is just hit or miss, honestly.

Edina, Wayzata, and Minnetonka are the best districts in the area, but none of those areas have the walkable neighborhoods you desire. Southwest MPLS and some areas in Saint Paul have these neighborhoods, and with your budget you could get a great redeveloped house and send your kids to private school. Also, two of the better private schools are in the Hopkins area, Blake and Breck, so you really can't go wrong anywhere in the metro with your budget.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:26 PM

I wouldn't mind a redeveloped house, or even a smaller house - but school rating will be a factor. We can live in less walkable neigborhoods (e.g., Plymouth-Wayzata), but we would prefer not to - as I said, at this stage, I'm doing my homework. I looked at those private schools - the fees are around 36k per year! They mention financial assistance, but I don't know what that means and I'm not at a stage where I can send in applications just to check. My home budget is 700k, but that includes a mortgage - I don't think I can spring 72k for two kids every year all through middle and high school. Who can afford this in Minnesota?!

Old 07-15-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste13 View Post
Your kids will be fine no matter where they go based solely on their parents caring about them as reflected by your question. Great Schools is just hit or miss, honestly.

Edina, Wayzata, and Minnetonka are the best districts in the area, but none of those areas have the walkable neighborhoods you desire. Southwest MPLS and some areas in Saint Paul have these neighborhoods, and with your budget you could get a great redeveloped house and send your kids to private school. Also, two of the better private schools are in the Hopkins area, Blake and Breck, so you really can't go wrong anywhere in the metro with your budget.
The country club district of Edina is about as walkable as you can get, sidewalks and 50th and France a few short blocks away. Downtown Wayzata is same exact thing. Finding something within $700k is another thing.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:42 PM

249 posts, read 504,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
The country club district of Edina is about as walkable as you can get, sidewalks and 50th and France a few short blocks away. Downtown Wayzata is same exact thing. Finding something within $700k is another thing.
Yeah, I meant walkable in that budget. 700k could get you a beautiful house in a safe neighborhood in st paul or MPLS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul