Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:32 PM

203 posts, read 513,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by overrailing View Post
I'm from a small town in MN and moved to Mpls to go to the U. I gotta say I was nervous about moving here.

Thanks for understanding my feelings, it makes me a little anxious that I'm from a considerably small city and have to move to Minneapolis all alone also. The U is a huge school, so I could undersand how you would feel.

I had my roommate (who moved with me, we had known each other throughout high school). But I didn't know anyone else, where anything was, was afraid of getting lost driving, etc. I learned that you pretty much end up staying in your own neighborhood/area and it doesn't feel to me like I live in some big city.

That's understandable. Yes, that's true.

I moved back with my parents several years ago because I was having problems with depression & anxiety.

That's what I'm truly afraid of. Is having bad anxiety and having to move back into my house here.

I got better, moved back to the Cities almost two years ago. When I told people I was moving back they thought I was crazy saying it was so big, the people, the traffic. I don't think they get that it is like living in a regular sized MN town for me. I just have access to more things if I want to venture out.

I think if you have anxiety about it, you just have to take it in small steps. After awhile, it's not as big as it may have seemed as first. Now I'd never go back to a small town.

I definately will take your advice and go in smaller steps. I actually feel alot better about this situation when hearing it from someone who was in a similar position.
Thanks

Old 06-20-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Oh, this post is more about you than Minneapolis. Sorry kid, you need to deal with your depression in a positive manner. The summer is here, try swimming in Lake Calhoun. That might be fun.

Ok, maybe you need to eat some humble pie, who said I was dealing with depression?

Old 06-20-2008, 07:55 PM

32 posts, read 101,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Oh, this post is more about you than Minneapolis. Sorry kid, you need to deal with your depression in a positive manner. The summer is here, try swimming in Lake Calhoun. That might be fun.
Jazzy, this is what they call "Minnesota Nice." It's a passive-aggressive way that Minnesotans deal with people who are outsiders, who are not like them. Just ignore this person.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:54 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,351,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzymentality View Post
Ok, maybe you need to eat some humble pie, who said I was dealing with depression?
You didn't. Don't worry about them or your move to Minnesota.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:02 AM

62 posts, read 290,726 times
Quote:
Without the long explanation I did have, I'll make it short. Did any of you have anxiety before moving to a big city like Minneapolis?
I did not have any anxiety moving here. But I know people who have and they overcame it quickly. I do think it is normal to have SOME anxiety when in a new situation, but I do NOT think it is normal to be obsessively anxious which I think you might be based on your other posts. Perhaps having a therapist you can talk to upon your arrival will help lessen the burden of your anxiety when you move here. Good luck to you.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongopercylou View Post
I did not have any anxiety moving here. But I know people who have and they overcame it quickly. I do think it is normal to have SOME anxiety when in a new situation, but I do NOT think it is normal to be obsessively anxious which I think you might be based on your other posts. Perhaps having a therapist you can talk to upon your arrival will help lessen the burden of your anxiety when you move here. Good luck to you.

So, if I tell you I have a stuffed nose, will you tell me i have pneumonia?? In my other posts?? I"ve talked about the interstates and the violence, maybe type that into the search box and see the hundreds of other posts of people who ACTUALLY LIVE in Minneapolis who still constantly talk about that stuff. Did you have family there, when decided to move? Did the people who came to Minneapolis have family or friends there??

Old 06-22-2008, 08:12 PM

Ok, as I read my posts here, I realize that basically this has nothing to do with Minneapolis, but more myself. When I came down to look at schools with my mom, I was feeling fine. When we went into traffic and down the interstates which were being constructed at the time, I was trying to calm my mom down as she was driving. Minneapolis is a really cool place with really cool and interesting people. Like many people posted on here, this might be do to my own anxiety and comfort level than anything else. thanks.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:38 PM

638 posts, read 3,126,391 times
Quote:
Ok, as I read my posts here, I realize that basically this has nothing to do with Minneapolis, but more myself. When I came down to look at schools with my mom, I was feeling fine. When we went into traffic and down the interstates which were being constructed at the time, I was trying to calm my mom down as she was driving. Minneapolis is a really cool place with really cool and interesting people. Like many people posted on here, this might be do to my own anxiety and comfort level than anything else. thanks.

I'm glad you are feeling better about things now!

Good Luck!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: