Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:10 PM

214 posts, read 691,843 times

Advertisements

Stillwater is a city in its own right.
Hudson, Wisconsin is a city in it's own right, and commutable to St. Paul's downtown.
Highland Park has always been a nice place to live, a neighborhood of older well-kept homes on the pricer side. Anything around here is good living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 10:21 PM

8 posts, read 36,063 times
Hastings would be a good place to consider. It's an old, but very well-preserved river town located in the southeastern part of the metro area.

I'm a big fan of Stillwater. It has an exceptionally beautiful old downtown area and some great neighborhoods.

The "old" area of White Bear Lake is very nice too.

Hudson, Wisconsin might be worth considering as well.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:13 PM

30 posts, read 191,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr D View Post
My spouse and I are considering a move to the Twin Cities area. I notice that a lot of the suburbs near the cities are sort of "new". Are there any older, more established suburbs outside the Twin Cities? Are there suburbs with homes similar in style and character to the Macalester area, for example? I grew up in the Detroit area, and outside Detroit there are older suburbs such as Birmingham and Royal Oak with old, brick or frame homes that have lots of character. Are there similar places in the Twin Cities area? We have two little ones, so we are looking for quiet suburbs with low crime, good schools, and homes in the $400,000 - $450,000 range.
i agree with wayzata/plymouth area. your price is range is a little low for wayzata but perfect fit for plymouth (same school district) which is also one of the best. commute times maybe a little more but well worth it

Old 01-16-2009, 01:01 PM

15 posts, read 51,665 times
Hmmm.. check out the Falcon Heights/Roseville area, just north of St. Paul. St. Louis Park is very post-war, so I'm not sure if that's old enough for you, but it's certainly well established. You'll do well in the Twin Cities for $400,000-$450,000.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:12 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
St. Louis Park has some beautiful older homes, quiet streets, good schools, and as a first-ring suburb is still very convenient if you end up working downtown. Edina may also be a good option to investigate.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:40 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times

FYI: The original post was from JULY OF 2008 so this is most likely not relevant anymore.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:27 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,642,159 times
Edina, Saint Louis Park, Hopkins, Robbinsdale or any of the saint pauls. Basically any inner suburb thats located in the interior of the twin cities highway loop. Considering your budget you may be able to purchase a nice old house with character in prosperous Saint Louis Park or Edina.
Hopkins and Robbinsdale have smaller colonials that go for far less but is located in a low crime areas with good schools. The houses in those neighborhoods still but still have good access to downtown Minneapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul