Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:02 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else go over the bridge today. I had a slight anxiety attack just before crossing but it went away as soon as I saw how nice the new bridge looked. I think the exterior retaining walls seem a little short though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 10:14 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Did anyone else go over the bridge today.
No. But I moved out of MPLS two days before the bridge collapsed. Fast forward two days and I was in Massachusetts going over a pretty scenic bridge when I got a weird feeling that I did not want to be on that bridge. An hour later I checked into a hotel just outside of Boston, turned on the TV almost as soon I entered the room, and lo and behold, the tv was tuned to CNN and the coverage of the collapse. I seriously believe that it is some sort of sign.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:11 PM

432 posts, read 1,660,179 times
I thought that the bridge was suppose to open next year!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:49 AM

989 posts, read 2,962,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Did anyone else go over the bridge today. I had a slight anxiety attack just before crossing but it went away as soon as I saw how nice the new bridge looked. I think the exterior retaining walls seem a little short though.
I came across it yesterday and today from the North. I use 3rd ave bridge to get out of downtown. Traffic patterns are going back to normal again. Now if they just finish all the stuff they have ripped up all over downtown.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:52 AM

23 posts, read 78,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post

Nope the bridge actually opened yesturday. It took a year to build it though.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:54 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
They finished 3 months ahead of schedule

Old 09-19-2008, 12:30 PM

638 posts, read 3,124,263 times
I''ve been across it 3 times already. I really like the exterior retaining walls; the old 35W bridge once had lower rails and somewhere about 10-12 years ago they made them higher and ruined the view of the river for those of us who drove regular passenger vehicles.

I'm not really looking at the view while driving; but we should be able to see the Mississippi River when we cross it. Some bridges cut us off from our surroundings too much: no wonder people think they need to be "entertained" while in cars!

Old 09-19-2008, 02:49 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,332 times
I and some friends got up very early to cross it at 5 am. We were just behind a phalanx of motorcycles, near the front of the line. It was quite the spectacle!

Old 09-19-2008, 03:50 PM

107 posts, read 422,120 times
This sounds dumb, but I got a weird deja vu feeling driving that route again, after not having for 14 months

Old 09-19-2008, 04:37 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
I''ve been across it 3 times already. I really like the exterior retaining walls; the old 35W bridge once had lower rails and somewhere about 10-12 years ago they made them higher and ruined the view of the river for those of us who drove regular passenger vehicles.

I'm not really looking at the view while driving; but we should be able to see the Mississippi River when we cross it. Some bridges cut us off from our surroundings too much: no wonder people think they need to be "entertained" while in cars!
I also thought the view (looking North esp) was great; but I have to admit that the guard rails did seem a little dangerously low for such a heavy traffic interstate bridge (like less-than-waist height?). I don't know why they didn't continue the metal railing (keeping space in between to keep the view) up another 5 feet or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul