Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 PM

5 posts, read 9,991 times

Advertisements

st paul is safe for the most part just dont get caught walking in midway, frogtown or the east and west sides at night. ive seen guns and plenty of drugs in frogtown but you wont be in any immediate danger during the day there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,792 times
if u want ghetto in minnesota just go to east side, midway, or especially Frogtown. you dont want to get caught in there at night trust me. i mean its not terribly ghetto or anything but alot of crimes and i have alot of friends there and i havent heard alot of good things that have happened there. if u want a ghetto in minneapolis just go to North Minneapolis. right now it has a worse crime rate than detroit so that is saying something. but really that is the only bad part of the twin cities.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:24 AM

83 posts, read 131,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotaRep View Post
if u want ghetto in minnesota just go to east side, midway, or especially Frogtown. you dont want to get caught in there at night trust me. i mean its not terribly ghetto or anything but alot of crimes and i have alot of friends there and i havent heard alot of good things that have happened there. if u want a ghetto in minneapolis just go to North Minneapolis. right now it has a worse crime rate than detroit so that is saying something. but really that is the only bad part of the twin cities.
Your comments are far too general with respect to areas. Fact is, there are nice areas of north Mpls, of the east side and west side of St. paul and the midway area.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:16 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,902,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip_shakespeare View Post
Your comments are far too general with respect to areas. Fact is, there are nice areas of north Mpls, of the east side and west side of St. paul and the midway area.
Seems like the (TINY) little area in and around 28th and Bloomington is pretty damn bad, but it's no more than 8-12 square blocks at the MOST, so it's not even an entire "neighborhood", which is Phillips. There are decent parts of Phillips.

I can't tell if there is one or two particular areas of the "Brooklyns" that stir the majority of the violent crime in those suburbs, but it always seems like it's in one of a couple apartment complexes. Not sure which...

Old 06-05-2012, 01:19 PM

120 posts, read 209,351 times
If you're from a big coastal city, you'll find that there really aren't any ghettos in the twin cities, although most locals will disagree. What is a ghetto in NY/DC/Chicago/LA is not the same as what is considered a ghetto in the Twin Cities.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:40 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,417,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
St. Paul and Minneapolis both have very distinct personalities. To me, St. Paul is a bit "stodgier" that MPLS; but I think that that is also part of its' charm.
I agree. I like how you can kind of get the best of both worlds.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:43 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,395,125 times
On the East Side the worst part(s) are probably just Westminster right on the freeway and the two projects, Roosevelt Homes and McDonough. I'm never really afraid to walk around the outskirts over here by Lake Phalen at ANY part of the day, even though the Asian gangs were beating people around Lake Phalen a couple years ago. They have desisted pretty much and now Phalen has cameras all over the lake, although I don't even think they are needed.

The outskirts over here by the Lutheran church on 61 is actually a nice little neighborhood.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:55 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,902,600 times
I spent a bit of time visiting a buddy's at his ex-girlfriend's place in some crappy Eastside neighborhood just north of I-94. It was a more modern (70's or 80's) large apartment complex on Wilson just off White Bear Ave. Both he and his girlfriend were essentially trying to "protect" me from trying to go to my car on my own or even figure out how to leave the premises. I personally didn't think it looked TOO bad but they insisted (I was also smashed beyond comprehension later that night, which probably reinforced their efforts). They thought I was a mark because I was white and the n'hood was mostly black and Hmong.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:29 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,495,297 times
I remember driving past Lake Phalen, marveling how nice the area looked. Shortly thereafter the newspaper had accounts of runners being attacked. Honestly, it made me think of Lake of the Isles in Minneapolis, but I don't think the analogy goes very far. The homicides map looks like this: TwinCities.com | St. Paul Homicides map Not sure what armed robbery or aggravated assault looks like.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:00 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,395,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I spent a bit of time visiting a buddy's at his ex-girlfriend's place in some crappy Eastside neighborhood just north of I-94. It was a more modern (70's or 80's) large apartment complex on Wilson just off White Bear Ave. Both he and his girlfriend were essentially trying to "protect" me from trying to go to my car on my own or even figure out how to leave the premises. I personally didn't think it looked TOO bad but they insisted (I was also smashed beyond comprehension later that night, which probably reinforced their efforts). They thought I was a mark because I was white and the n'hood was mostly black and Hmong.
That's nonsense. That area isn't that bad, but there are bad people sporadically about there. I'm white and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to walk around over there. Then again, I am born and raised East Side so I know how to carry myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul