Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,198 times

Advertisements

Interesting. Went to the St Paul Police site. Some crime statistics are a bit behind, only up to 2010. But they do have crimes against persons for 2011. 8 murders in the whole city for the whole year. In Minneapolis, Jordan and Philips have one less than all of St Paul. And in crime maps, wide swaths of the West Side have zero as the number of violent crimes in certain categories. Not just murders. Other violent crimes, too. But Frogtown and the East Side have top numbers in certain categories. Seems some of these categories are localized in St Paul. I wonder if downtown St Paul has riffraff wandering around jumping innocent people. I hope not. I think the Twin Cities has suburbs more dangerous than St Paul.

http://www.stpaul.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=20883

CrimeMapping.com - National Map

Is there a Ghetto of St. Paul, if so which side, North, South etc.-brooklynparkcrimemap.jpg

Last edited by Beenhere4ever; 06-11-2012 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 08:38 AM

391 posts, read 659,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Interesting. Went to the St Paul Police site. Some crime statistics are a bit behind, only up to 2010. But they do have crimes against persons for 2011. 8 murders in the whole city for the whole year. In Minneapolis, Jordan and Philips have one less than all of St Paul. And in crime maps, wide swaths of the West Side have zero as the number of violent crimes in certain categories. Not just murders. Other violent crimes, too. But Frogtown and the East Side have top numbers in certain categories. Seems some of these categories are localized in St Paul. I wonder if downtown St Paul has riffraff wandering around jumping innocent people. I hope not. I think the Twin Cities has suburbs more dangerous than St Paul.

http://www.stpaul.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=20883

CrimeMapping.com - National Map

Attachment 96905
I live in grid 70 on the St. Paul city map you linked.

We had one murder last year. A guy got into a late-night altercation with a gang member at a bar, who then returned at closing and shot him and his friend outside the bar.

This year we had one murder in Feb. - body found in an alley behind a shed, also gang-related.

I'm not trying to minimize the violence. But the violence that does occur tends to be between gangs, or within gangs, or with people involved with them in some way. They don't go around randomly targeting people.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:41 AM

Like I said, St Paul, no matter what "side" you talk about is less violent than some neighborhoods in Minneapolis. Must be about ethnic concentration, or something (don't really know but it seems to have been consistently like this in the last four decades). I think "ghetto" might be too strong a word. After gentrification of Selby Dale and the wiping out of Rondo by I94, poverty concentration might be more diluted than it was.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:36 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,049 times
St. Paul really isn't that bad at all. A few years ago a neighbor two doors down from me was robbed at gun point during the day, and that was a bit of a shocker. But other than that and the occasional car break in here nowadays it's not too bad.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:00 AM

83 posts, read 130,678 times
Quote:
By the way, just out of interest, I looked at the 2012 murders map. NO murders south of the Mississipi either. The West Side is pretty safe this year. Having visited the residential areas, I guess I'm not surprised.
That's what my original post regarding the west side was in reference too - the fact that there have been no murders there

Old 06-13-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip_shakespeare View Post
That's what my original post regarding the west side was in reference too - the fact that there have been no murders there
Careful with that slapping. Brain damage would do you no tood. By the way, there are many neighborhoods with no murders. And why do you assume you've found the "ghetto" when you find murders? Is that the definition of a "ghetto"?

Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 PM

83 posts, read 130,678 times
Quote:
Careful with that slapping. Brain damage would do you no tood. By the way, there are many neighborhoods with no murders. And why do you assume you've found the "ghetto" when you find murders? Is that the definition of a "ghetto"?
Why do you continue to put words in my mouth? I never said that areas of the city with higher crime/murder rates are "ghetto." In fact, I am of the opinion that there are no ghettos in St. Paul.

My only intent in posting in this thread was to evidence the fact that the west side is not a ghetto.

Stop misrepresenting my position.

Last edited by trip_shakespeare; 06-13-2012 at 10:40 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 05:05 PM

152 posts, read 290,780 times
Quote:
Downtown St. Paul hasn't experienced any of the flash mob attacks that have occurred so far like those in Minneapolis. I've lived and work in downtown for five years now. I think the last murder in downtown was back in 2007. That may or may not be a good thing. LOL. It's quiet. That's the way a lot of people want it. Not me personally. But it is what it is.

I do want to say I hate the title of this thread. There is nothing even remotely close to a ghetto in St. Paul. The west side is fantastic. Sure you'll find some scary stretches of blocks in this city, just like any other major city around the world. But the Twin Cities, particularly St. Paul, are quite safe.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:50 PM

Truth is though downtown Mpls has gang attacks, the shooting do NOT tend to happen down there. And we DEFINITELY have more violent neighborhoods (again "ghetto" may be an obsolete word now that Asians, new Africans, and Hispanics live there, too.) There may be tiny enclaves in St Paul that bear some resemblance, but I really don't see a Northside or Philps in St Paul. Been quite a mystery why not. Gangs have really tried to set up turf, but Minneapolis seems a more natural place for them to move in.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:35 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,074 times
Quote:
Truth is though downtown Mpls has gang attacks, the shooting do NOT tend to happen down there. And we DEFINITELY have more violent neighborhoods (again "ghetto" may be an obsolete word now that Asians, new Africans, and Hispanics live there, too.) There may be tiny enclaves in St Paul that bear some resemblance, but I really don't see a Northside or Philps in St Paul. Been quite a mystery why not. Gangs have really tried to set up turf, but Minneapolis seems a more natural place for them to move in.
My understanding is that gangs in St. Paul are locals-- Selbysiders, East Side Boyz, etc. Gangs in Minneapolis at the peak of violent crime in the '90's were all "national affiliates"-- Tre Tre Crips, Bloods, Disciples. In the nationwide gang, there was better organization, and they were better all-around shots than the kids running St. Paul's gangs now.

There was a period when St. Paul had a problem with organized Hmong-American crime (MOD), but state law enforcement caught a lot of the higher-ups in the state and the gang has been quiet for several years now.

<<<(again "ghetto" may be an obsolete word now that Asians, new Africans, and Hispanics live there, too.)>>>

Why? A ghetto is typically a place where one race, ethnicity, or socioeconomic class of people is separated from access to jobs, transit, good housing and schools, etc. Doesn't matter if the residents are White, African-American, Hispanic, Asian, foreign-born or natural-born. I, like you, don't like the term ghetto and don't use it....but that's because I lived in a neighborhood in Minneapolis that people pre-judged as a "ghetto" without ever even having been there or seen all of the cool stuff that was going on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul