Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 AM

411 posts, read 993,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
OTOH my daughter's friend at Benilde is a classmate of the boy that had his back broken playing hockey the other day.Is anybody asking for hockey to be outlawed??
1. You choose to take part in a risky activity.

2. Checks from behind will likely be banned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 08:35 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,392,268 times
Frogtown always pops into my mind first and foremost. The East Side is going downhill now but it's still pretty good. I've never been afraid of walking at two in the morning on the East Side, even when the Asian gang beat that woman walking Lake Phalen a few years back.

Last edited by Govie; 01-17-2012 at 08:44 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 PM

319 posts, read 529,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
I personally am not going to dismiss a child dying as a "freak accident".
So the next time a child is killed from being hit by a car, you're going to want us to do something about all the driving going on then?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,662,264 times
Of course, you could be taking a vacation on a luxury cruise ship off Italy and run afoul of destiny too...

Old 01-19-2012, 08:16 AM

989 posts, read 2,965,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBearPig1 View Post
So the next time a child is killed from being hit by a car, you're going to want us to do something about all the driving going on then?
Wow.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 AM

989 posts, read 2,965,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Of course, you could be taking a vacation on a luxury cruise ship off Italy and run afoul of destiny too...
I did not go into great detail regarding the entire list of things that bother me or tragic ways a person might die. I basically said some areas of the city have more gunshots than others, and it makes me sick to hear about a child dying from gunshots. First point was a fact, second part was an opinion. I was not bashing anyone or any part of the city.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,144,954 times
Every city has "bad" parts. They might not be as bad as some neighborhoods of Gary, East St. Louis, or Detroit, but they have higher rates of crime and the social diseases that often are associated with crime than the other neighborhoods of the city. "Ghettos" is the common term used for these neighborhoods. I don't see how people get up in arms over this.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,668 times
I've been a lurker of this forum for awhile. Just registered in order to give a response to all the folks saying there are no "bad" parts of the Twin Cities. I live in Brooklyn Center, and take the 22-route bus through North Minneapolis to school every day. Parts of it are just fine. Others, such as N Lyndale through Camden and around West Broadway Ave, are not. Lots of boarded up/foreclosed houses, bars on the windows of every business, and I even pass by a supermarket near Lowry that has a line of obvious bulletholes in its brick wall. And on the other side of Minneapolis, I had an unpleasant experience at a Phillips gas station in the middle of the night, being eyed by a tweaker who was blatantly smoking meth right in front of the store (while two or three police cars sped by in the time I was filling up my car).

No doubt it's not as bad as Detroit or Cabrini-Green, but you've got to be delusional to think that the Twin Cities are the crime-free paradise a lot of people are making it out to be.

In terms of sheer statistics, Minneapolis has a considerably higher rate of crime than St. Paul. According to neighborhood scout, Minneapolis is actually #62 on the list of 100 most dangerous cities in the US (with a higher crime rate than Milwaukee, Chicago, or Trenton) and St. Paul doesn't even register.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:18 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,392,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netdiver View Post
I've been a lurker of this forum for awhile. Just registered in order to give a response to all the folks saying there are no "bad" parts of the Twin Cities. I live in Brooklyn Center, and take the 22-route bus through North Minneapolis to school every day. Parts of it are just fine. Others, such as N Lyndale through Camden and around West Broadway Ave, are not. Lots of boarded up/foreclosed houses, bars on the windows of every business, and I even pass by a supermarket near Lowry that has a line of obvious bulletholes in its brick wall. And on the other side of Minneapolis, I had an unpleasant experience at a Phillips gas station in the middle of the night, being eyed by a tweaker who was blatantly smoking meth right in front of the store (while two or three police cars sped by in the time I was filling up my car).

No doubt it's not as bad as Detroit or Cabrini-Green, but you've got to be delusional to think that the Twin Cities are the crime-free paradise a lot of people are making it out to be.

In terms of sheer statistics, Minneapolis has a considerably higher rate of crime than St. Paul. According to neighborhood scout, Minneapolis is actually #62 on the list of 100 most dangerous cities in the US (with a higher crime rate than Milwaukee, Chicago, or Trenton) and St. Paul doesn't even register.
I find it extremely laughable to say Minneapolis has more crime than Chicago or Milwaukee. I can't count how many welfare cases have migrated to the TC from places like Milwaukee and Chicago to get away from crime in those places and say they like it here so much better.

Your source is just flat out wrong.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:40 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,182,572 times
We use to call Minneapolis Murderaplois for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul