Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 9,178 times

Advertisements

Why do you think the Light Rail has stayed Graffiti or "Bombing" free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 09:51 PM

138 posts, read 627,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolitaJazzMan View Post
Why do you think the Light Rail has stayed Graffiti or "Bombing" free?
Hmmm...maybe because it's not "edgy" enough. Ever see Graffiti on a trolley?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:42 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
The light rail doesn't go through any neighborhood shady enough to have people who would graffiti a train. Even buses in bad areas don't have that much, it is mostly on the shelters. Graffiting a moving object is contrary to the point of actual graffiti.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:25 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Maybe I am imagining this but I thought when they came out with the cars that the coating didn't hold paint or something along that line. Also, are the cars ever just parked/stopped anywhere that someone could mark them up?

Old 12-05-2008, 06:51 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Also, the light rail cars are all painted from top to bottom with colorful advertisements, making it difficult for grafiti to show over it and essentially pointless. People tend to tag buildings and fences that are unpainted or painted one color. The Corcoran neighborhood had a local artist take a group of volunteers and painted murals all over the Midtown/Lake Street stop so it is pretty well protected from grafiti.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Maybe I am imagining this but I thought when they came out with the cars that the coating didn't hold paint or something along that line. Also, are the cars ever just parked/stopped anywhere that someone could mark them up?
If the cars are ever stopped, they are in the Franklin Avenue garage.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:55 AM

432 posts, read 1,660,179 times
I heard that the light rail was completed in 2007 or 2008? Can anyone give me more information about this light rail,so I can go on it and pick up some chicks there,lol!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:59 PM

33 posts, read 78,650 times
sorry but you guys are speaking about things you dont understand.

the ONLY reason people dont paint the light rail - consistently - is because it never stops anywhere outside its garage for more than 2 minutes.

believe me, paint would hold up beautifully on those things - over a giant beer advertisement or not.

the train goes downtown. along hiawatha. across franklin. cedar. 35th. theres graffiti all over the place.

but what makes you think only people in 'shady neighborhoods' would write graffiti? uptown has some of the highest real estate prices in the city... and the most graffiti.

and how is painting a moving object contrary to the "point of actual graffiti?" probably the main purpose of graffiti is to get notice. there are few better ways to be seen than to travel, all day, from the mall, to the airport, along a highway, and then downtown and back again.

believe me, if they ever start stopping trains for more than two minutes or expand their inventory enough to merit large new york subway style lay ups, people will find ways to get inside and paint them.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:35 AM

13 posts, read 38,807 times
Right - where would they tag it? They'd have to sneak into the storage garage.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:41 PM

Admittedly, I don't understand graffiti well enough to know on which surfaces it will better look. I also have no doubt that an idle train would attract graffiti.
Only people in shady neighborhoods would graffiti a train. An IMPEACH BUSH NOW stencil just doesn't look as good there as it does on a light post or utility box in Uptown. IMPEACH BUSH NOW stencils have never passed as graffiti, in my opinion. Gang graffiti tends to delineate blocks -- putting that same graffiti on a moving object would be counterproductive. That is all I was trying to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul