Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:27 PM

451 posts, read 1,228,413 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at some property in the area. I have searched through the post here and I see a lot of people who say that area is bad, but I find they don't live there. I've read from a few that live there and said its okay. Are people here just overzealous on how bad it actually is?

Next question for the residents that live there. What are the police doing in that area to make things better. Serious crimes seem to be low, but property crimes seem to be on the high side. Are they increasing patrols around the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 05:45 PM

342 posts, read 1,428,174 times
Hi - I have lived in Brooklyn Park for 36 years. There are some parts of the city where I would not want to live if you gave me the house. The area around Zane and Brooklyn Blvd is being rebuilt to an extent. The city has been trying for years to clean it up but I have not seen much in results. I couldn't understand why anyone would buy a $200,000 townhouse there - but they built them and sold them. Now the prices have been reduced - but I still would not buy there. The lower priced apartments are the area's that seem to have the most problem. You just have to watch which area of Brooklyn Park that you look at. Depends what you are looking for I guess and if you have school age kids might make a difference.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveOC View Post
Hi - I have lived in Brooklyn Park for 36 years. There are some parts of the city where I would not want to live if you gave me the house. The area around Zane and Brooklyn Blvd is being rebuilt to an extent. The city has been trying for years to clean it up but I have not seen much in results. I couldn't understand why anyone would buy a $200,000 townhouse there - but they built them and sold them. Now the prices have been reduced - but I still would not buy there. The lower priced apartments are the area's that seem to have the most problem. You just have to watch which area of Brooklyn Park that you look at. Depends what you are looking for I guess and if you have school age kids might make a difference.
I just drove through that area about 15 min ago. That was the biggest thing that I saw. I willing to be if they tore down those apartments that area would see a boom in home owners. The fact that they are now going for 160K and they were 200K makes this point stronger. Clean up the apartment areas around there and those homes will go up in value and you will have better neighboorhoods.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:43 PM

16 posts, read 41,197 times
Default Main Street School of Preforming Arts

sorry, wrong place

Old 10-29-2008, 08:37 AM

989 posts, read 2,962,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
I have been looking at some property in the area. I have searched through the post here and I see a lot of people who say that area is bad, but I find they don't live there. I've read from a few that live there and said its okay. Are people here just overzealous on how bad it actually is?

Next question for the residents that live there. What are the police doing in that area to make things better. Serious crimes seem to be low, but property crimes seem to be on the high side. Are they increasing patrols around the area?
Not many are going to say they the area they live in is bad.

I think it is fair to say some areas of BP are better than others.

Hint - look at where the 5 bus goes and stay away from there.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:17 AM

394 posts, read 1,519,142 times
I lived there for a few years, and know the area quite well.

BP , you have to remember is a huge city. Both geographically and population wise- Nearly 80,000 people and nearly 50 square miles. The areas closest to Brooklyn Center, and around south Zane/Brookyln Blvd is pretty bad. If you go north, the city is really nice.-parts by Edinborough Golf Course and the new Target Headquarters.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,834,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Not many are going to say they the area they live in is bad.

I think it is fair to say some areas of BP are better than others.

Hint - look at where the 5 bus goes and stay away from there.
Clifford, the #5 bus line services my neighborhood in the NW corner of Mpls - I am inclined to ask, are you were referring to #5 bus service in Brooklyn Park specifically or the entire route itself?

To the OP - I have never lived in B.P. but I have several friends that grew up and went to school there, all very well adjusted professional adults that lived on nice, manicured, tree-lined streets full of middle class if not upper middle class homes. An extra bonus for persons that live, work, and/or were raised in Brooklyn Park - there is actually diversity there, and in all senses of the word.

I think in general persons that choose to live/ reside or raise their families in B.P. tend to be liberal, familiar with the North Metro, and not as stuffy or afraid to live around persons of color or persons in lower income brackets than themselves (although there are some pretty pricey neighborhoods there like you mentioned). If they did really care about this, they could find similarly priced homes in the southern Metro where they could be completely surrounded by white people of their income bracket for miles (although it does seem that there is getting to be a somewhat fair amount of diversity in places like Eagan, Apple Valley, even Eden Prairie).

Old 10-29-2008, 11:23 PM

214 posts, read 691,887 times
OP, what is steering you toward BP? If it's low prices, then that's your answer.

I've not lived there. Many years ago I looked at a few places to buy but just didn't have a feeling of "I want to live here". I admit this was in part due to hearing it wasn't a good place to live.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santos View Post
OP, what is steering you toward BP? If it's low prices, then that's your answer.

I've not lived there. Many years ago I looked at a few places to buy but just didn't have a feeling of "I want to live here". I admit this was in part due to hearing it wasn't a good place to live.

Yep low prices, but you always get what u pay for unless your a bargin shoppper, but I still trying to figure out the area. Property crime seems to be really high in th is area, and resale seems to be a challenge. I asked about this at work, and a guyt told me his sister has had her house on the market for 2 years.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:40 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,763,108 times
I know a number of people who live in Brooklyn Park that have no complaints. It all depends on where you live. Around Brooklyn Blvd and Zane I would avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul