Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 09:20 PM

8 posts, read 42,675 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking for single family homes in this area and I was wondering a few things. How is the commute to downtown Minneapolis, is it safe in this area, is it a good school district, property taxes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 11:54 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
It's a nice area, convenient shopping, schools etc. Taxes are high because you are in Hennepin County. Your most likely route into downtown is 94 and that can be tough. But it all depends on where you work!

Lots of newer homes. They are quite nice but I call them clone homes.....they all look the same. There are also neighborhoods of older homes with more character. Just depends on what you want.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:39 PM

8 posts, read 42,675 times
I'm actually having a hard time deciding between Maple Grove or Plymouth. Maple grove just has more nice affordable houses and more shooping. Which would you recommend?

Old 03-14-2007, 02:00 AM

They are pretty much the same. Plymouth is about 5 min closer to downtown so that's not a deal breaker either way. If I had to pick, I would take Maple Grove.

One suggestion is check a little farther north to get out of Hennepin County. That will drop your taxes somewhat and you can get a little more for your money.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:50 AM

75 posts, read 477,059 times
When you say the commmute to downtown is tough. How long a commute is it in rush hour?

Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 AM

Friday afternoons are the worst, barring accidents and other disasters. It could be a significantly over an hour. Rush hour starts early on Fridays too. The road north is full of campers, boats and motorized toys. And don't forget the RV's. Sunday evening is bring your boat home night and all these same vehicles are trying to get back into the city.

If you work 8 to 5, you will spend @ 1.5 hours per day commuting. If you can work off hours, it's a breeze. Weather can also be a BIG factor.

You can make it easier if you investigate alternate routes. It also pays to remember there are only so many river crossings. Traffic tends to pile up around the bridges.

There is some public transportation available but I don't know much about it. I live north of Maple Grove and I don't have that option. I've been making this drive since 95 and over the years, it has become more congested due to new housing in the MPLS/StCloud corridor.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:10 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
whenever I visit friends in Plymouth or Maple Grove I take Olson Memorial Highway. Seems like a quicker trip, but I guess I dont know how the traffic is there in the morning.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:35 PM

8 posts, read 33,870 times
I would live in an area in the Wayzata School District. Plymouth is partly in the Wayzata School District. Wayzata Schools are ranked #1 in the state. Be careful, part of Plymouth are in other schools districts which are not as good. I know, I am a teacher. I teach in Maple Grove. We have good schools, but the school district is too big. We have 19 elementary schools!!! That is too big. The school district quality suffers when the size is not small.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:58 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
Maple Grove is one of the best suburbs in the cities. Traffic isn't great (94 is BAD) but you are still relatively close to the city. No crime at all. Good Schools. I would not try to beat Henn. Co. taxes and move too far out. It is atleast 10 more miles out and what you save in taxes will be siphoned by the extra 20 miles a day in gas and stress. Maple Grove has way more amenities anyways, all you will get is a slightly larger house or lot.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:47 PM

15 posts, read 71,115 times
Default great shopping

Just wanted to let you know that there is a Trader Joe's in Maple grove. Great store, great food, great prices. Maple Grove is one of only 2 areas in the Minneapolis area with one. If you have never heard of Trader Joe's befere, do a search on this forum, to check out what people are saying. Also there is a web site--Traderjoes.com.

take care
Rich Wanket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul