Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:45 PM

306 posts, read 476,248 times

Advertisements

How do Minneapolitans differ from Saint Paulites? I think the stereotype is that STP people are nicer and more small town oriented type people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 09:38 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I've never heard that stereotype before. I don't think there is a difference between the residents themselves, although there are differences between the actual cities.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:19 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
No difference that I can discern. I do think St Paul has more of a blue collar legacy than Mpls, though there's always been lots of white collar people in both cities.

St Paulites "nicer"? Not sure what that means.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:32 PM

88 posts, read 301,511 times
Interesting question. I agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't think there is a difference between the residents themselves, although there are differences between the actual cities.
But also, don't residents contribute a lot to what a city actually is? And vice versa? I guess it's hard for me to look at each entity as independent of the other in this situation.

Anywho, I've heard heard the St. Paul = blue collar thing a few times. That's about it.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 PM

812 posts, read 2,173,155 times
I think the general view is that Minneapolis is young and left leaning. St Paul is older, more conservative and right leaning. I think of St Paul as more of a traditional east coast city and Minneapolis is more of a hip west coast city.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:32 PM

I think the differences are more historical than modern, so I guess in my case, anyway, when I said there were differences between the cities it was more in terms of the past.

I agree that in the past St. Paul has been seen as the more traditional, "east coast" city and Minneapolis the young city of the west, but I don't know how much that really holds true today. I think there's some lingering aspects of it in that St. Paul overall seems to have a stronger tradition of preserving its past and appreciating its history, but it also seems that Minneapolis has finally started to embrace that more fully, as seen through the relatively recent Mill City Museum and all of the related emphasis on that part of the river.

In general, though, there's far more alike about the people of St. Paul and Minneapolis than there are differences. I know they're two separate cities, but the way they run right into each other means that basically there is one big urban core. Certain areas of Mpls/St. Paul might have their differences, but not necessarily any greater than do the different neighborhoods or districts of each individual city.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
I think the general view is that Minneapolis is young and left leaning. St Paul is older, more conservative and right leaning. I think of St Paul as more of a traditional east coast city and Minneapolis is more of a hip west coast city.
Yes. Saint Paul has old money - Minneapolis nouveau-riche, at least that is the rumor.

Saint Paul sweatshirts and beer.
Minneapolis - stylish and wine.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:37 AM

989 posts, read 2,962,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Yes. Saint Paul has old money - Minneapolis nouveau-riche, at least that is the rumor.

Saint Paul sweatshirts and beer.
Minneapolis - stylish and wine.
Sounds like something from a Garrison Keillor skit more than reality. I vaugley recall one that had Guy Noir making the journey from St. Paul to a high society party on Mount Curve ..... Funny stuff, but overstated.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:08 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
St paul right leaning? No, not by a long shot. Socially it is more conservative, but not politically. I don't think St Paul has ever had a Republican mayor, at least not in modern times. The demographic is younger in Mpls, that is true, but that's social, not political. From Crocus Hill and the River Blvd. to the East Side and Frogtown, Obama and Franken yard signs completely overshadowed McCain and Coleman signs last fall.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:41 PM

And of course most east coast cities are not exactly politically conservative, either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul