Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 04:48 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,791,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
It was the US Office of Refugee Resettlement that ultimately decided to bring the Somalis to Minneapolis (and Columbus, OH). I need to do some more digging as I am not sure of the logic, but the USORR wanted the Somalis away from the Coasts and into America's heartland; for one possible reason as to replace illegal immigrants in the work force.

Up until around 2000, Minnesota had a very generous welfare system that seemed to be available to anyone who had the ability to simply ask for it. That may have been a reason for an influx of people from Chicago, but I highly doubt that it was a factor for those from Somalia as most of their aid money comes from the Federal Gov., non-profits and from the private sector. Yes, there are Somalis who are receive welfare from the state, I just seriously doubt that it is/was a reason that brought them here.
Strikes me as BS. My personal belief is that that someone decided Minn. was "too white" and this was a way of changing a that. A modern vestige of bussing.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:29 AM

987 posts, read 3,820,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
On a lighter note, has anybody tried Somali food? I had beef suqqar at a Somali restaurant (Safari) on Nicollet and it was very good.
No but you should try Fasika on the corner of University and Snelling in St. Paul. It's Ethiopian, but IMO the best in the cities.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:13 AM

21 posts, read 61,854 times
Camden Northsider: Right on dude!! Very well written and well said. Assimilated is not the word to use. Native Americans are still suffering to this day because of assimilation, generations later. It's hard to "let it go" when the effects of such assimilation can be seen even now with the high poverty, suicide, alcoholism, drug-addiction rates just within the Native American community. People don't like change. They like things to be the way they were because to them it's their "comfort zone" that is being interfered with. And most staid people tend to get a little touchy when you mess with their comfort zone. IF the Somalis are vital working people who are making great strides within our community, who are we to denounce them? It's more tax money for Bush!! LOL

Old 08-29-2008, 02:06 PM

871 posts, read 1,089,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Bihi View Post
Hi My name is A Bihi. I am Somali America community leader, civic engagemet organizer organizer and activist. I also live and work in the mecca of Somali immigrants in Cedar Riverside. I really want to thank everyone who is sharing about the Somali immigrant knowledge to educate the rest of the community.

Abdirizak Bihi
abihi@hotmail.com
I've been a Minneapolis resident for a very long time (21 years). Part of what I love about this city is that a large segment of the population is open, tolerant, accepting and generous. Of course, you get your intolerance and bigotry like any place else, but overall I think the community is welcoming.

I'm glad to have Somalians come to Minneapolis. In fact, my next door neighbors are a Somalian family, and they've been very nice. I'm very familiar with the Cedar-Riverside area as I took the light rail to and from the University of Minnesota twice a day throughout this past school year.

This is a country built on immigration, and a sad but true story is that it has always been the case that older immigrants sometimes look down on the newer ones. There is an area of Minneapolis, underneath the Washington Avenue bridge, called "Bohemian Flats" where Irish, Norwegian, Swedish, Czech, Slovakia, etc. immigrants used to live on the flats near the river and built their homes from the lumber floating down the river from the days when lumber milling was a significant business in the area. Back in those days, the untrustworthy, "unassimilable" immigrants were the Irish (Czechs, Slovaks, etc.). Nowadays, it is an unfortunate fact that some of the descendents of these immigrants are the people who decry the immigration of Somalians, Mexicans, etc. The more things change, the more things stay the same.

Regardless of the carping and complaining of a hopefully small minority of individuals, I feel confident that most citizens of Minneapolis are happy to have hard-working, honest people from all over the world come here to this land of opportunity and become part of our fair city. Don't let the negative nasties get you down, they probably don't like anybody.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:21 PM

71 posts, read 288,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
On a lighter note, has anybody tried Somali food? I had beef suqqar at a Somali restaurant (Safari) on Nicollet and it was very good.
Next time try the Mango Chicken at Safari. It is amazing

Old 09-01-2008, 09:26 PM

71 posts, read 288,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Strikes me as BS. My personal belief is that that someone decided Minn. was "too white" and this was a way of changing a that. A modern vestige of bussing.
If you really think that the Somalis came to Minnesota purely for the Welfare Money, then you really need to have your head examined...and fast. The success of the Somali refugees in Minnesota in such a short period of time is all too obvious for any-one sane mind to see and if you have any doubts go to any University/College in the state and see for yourself the rate of Somalis graduating every-semester or visit any-one of the many Somali-Malls in the Twin-Cities and observe the level of financial contribution Somalis contribute to the State each year.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:53 PM

838 posts, read 1,212,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted_Logic View Post
If you really think that the Somalis came to Minnesota purely for the Welfare Money, then you really need to have your head examined...and fast. The success of the Somali refugees in Minnesota in such a short period of time is all too obvious for any-one sane mind to see and if you have any doubts go to any University/College in the state and see for yourself the rate of Somalis graduating every-semester or visit any-one of the many Somali-Malls in the Twin-Cities and observe the level of financial contribution Somalis contribute to the State each year.
How do they afford college over here? Can you answer that?? I'm DYING to know.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:21 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,763,988 times
my guess would be loans and grants....oooh, maybe grants set aside by successful somalis specifically FOR somalis perhaps??!

I dunno whatever, seems like the Phillips neighborhood got much nicer since they started moving in there. Still far from perfect, but not the "lock your doors" fest it was in 1998.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:36 PM

838 posts, read 1,212,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
my guess would be loans and grants....oooh, maybe grants set aside by successful somalis specifically FOR somalis perhaps??!

I dunno whatever, seems like the Phillips neighborhood got much nicer since they started moving in there. Still far from perfect, but not the "lock your doors" fest it was in 1998.
Do you REALLY believe that or was it a joke that went right over my head?

Old 09-05-2008, 02:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Do you REALLY believe that or was it a joke that went right over my head?
I don't know about where you live but most of the Somali's I know have jobs and work hard to afford things. Something like 90% of ALL college students get some type of aid either grants, scholarships, loans, whatever. Why would it be different for Somali college students?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul