Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:49 PM

15 posts, read 69,524 times

Advertisements

I am currently renting, but am looking to buy a house in Eden Prairie. The educational quality is one of the major reasons I've chosen Eden Prairie, although my baby is only 4 months old.

By checking the 4 four public elementary schools in EP, I was surprised to see the much lower test scores of Forest Hills compared to those of the other three schools. More research revealed the much higher proportions of Black and Hispanic students in Forest Hills. But when I just compared the scores of the same ethnic groups of all the schools, Forest Hills is the worst, by a significant margin. Is this school really worse than the others? I thought schools in the same disctric should have comparable education quality. Do I really need to be concerned about the different test scores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 03:53 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
While I don't have any specific information about specific schools in EP one thing to remember is that things can really change in 5 years when your baby will be in kindergarten. The school you LOVE today could get a new principal and things could go downhill after that or the school that isn't doing as well today makes some changes and becomes the best school in the district. The reality in EP is that none of the schools there are going to be bad and for the average student you won't notice any difference in quality from one elementary to another. You are better off finding a house in a good area with good resale potential because you just never know in 15 years when your baby is ready for high school EP High School could be the worst suburban school in the state. Test scores only account for so much when it comes to judging a school and while it is a good place to start, visit the school, meet with the teachers and administrators and get a feel for the schools before you decide.

I should also add that even right now EP schools are not the top ranked in the state, District 196 holds that honor and has for at least 10 years, EP is second though.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:25 AM

15 posts, read 69,524 times
Default Close to a high school and a railroad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
While I don't have any specific information about specific schools in EP one thing to remember is that things can really change in 5 years when your baby will be in kindergarten. The school you LOVE today could get a new principal and things could go downhill after that or the school that isn't doing as well today makes some changes and becomes the best school in the district. The reality in EP is that none of the schools there are going to be bad and for the average student you won't notice any difference in quality from one elementary to another. You are better off finding a house in a good area with good resale potential because you just never know in 15 years when your baby is ready for high school EP High School could be the worst suburban school in the state. Test scores only account for so much when it comes to judging a school and while it is a good place to start, visit the school, meet with the teachers and administrators and get a feel for the schools before you decide.

I should also add that even right now EP schools are not the top ranked in the state, District 196 holds that honor and has for at least 10 years, EP is second though.
Is it a bad thing to live very close to a high school, for reasons like students driving? Any knows whether there are still trains running on the SOO railroad in Eden Prairie?

Old 04-17-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToEdenPrairie View Post
Is it a bad thing to live very close to a high school, for reasons like students driving? Any knows whether there are still trains running on the SOO railroad in Eden Prairie?

It really depends on what is "close" if you are a couple blocks away on a side street that is usually considered desirable if you are on the street that is the main entrance to the school, you will have a lot of traffic and it might not be the best place to buy a house.

I can't help you with the railroad issue--maybe check their website for their schedule?

Old 04-24-2007, 10:26 PM
ssg

6 posts, read 45,509 times
So where does Wayzata school district land with Eden Prairie 2nd and Apple Valley 1st? What about Minnetonka school district? Just wondering those are the areas we are looking at....

Old 04-25-2007, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg View Post
So where does Wayzata school district land with Eden Prairie 2nd and Apple Valley 1st? What about Minnetonka school district? Just wondering those are the areas we are looking at....

Really, there isn't much difference between all these districts, maybe a percentage point or so. Most people in the Twin Cities pick where they want to live based on proximity to work and what activities their kids are in. If you have a top notch football player, Eden Prairie, a child that excels in band, Rosemount, etc. You aren't going to notice much difference between any of the southern or western suburban schools.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:50 AM

4 posts, read 18,692 times
I went to Forrest Hills, and all the other EP schools. Forrest Hills was a very different school, when I went than it is now. But it was also very different than the other schools offered in Eden Prairie, Forrest Hills seemed very "cheap" compared to the others. One thing I found strange about going to that school, I lived in apartments very close to Cedar Ridge, yet they bussed me to Forrest Hills, and I have friends that lived close to Forrest Hills that went to another school, it really seems like they place kids in schools based on social status. But that is a guess, based on observation.

Forrest Hills was a good school when I went, it was just different. I did VERY well on all my standardized tests, both my mom and I loved the teachers I had while I was there.

As for living close to the high school, the rule now is if the student lives closer than 2 miles, he/she has to either walk or pay for the bus ride. 2 miles is a long freaking way to walk with 10 degree weather and snow on the ground, plus from what I remember the bus cost around $200 for the whole year. I am sure these rules will change before your kid gets to high school, but that is how it was when I went.

One problem that I see about education here in Eden Prairie right now is the somali students. Since the somalians came to Eden Prairie, the schools have taken a turn for the worse. There are weekly fights, and security has jumped big time. When I started high school, we had maybe a total of 7 security guards for all 3000+ students, now I believe it may have moved up to about 20 or more, without a student increase to warrant that kind of staff addition. Half way through my high school career is when the somalis started coming to Eden Prairie, and the majority of the somali students are very rude, and very assertive towards other kids(particularly to white kids). I am not a racist, and I have many friends that are not white, but the attitude that 99.99%(out of all somali kids I have met I have only run into 1 that was seriously glad he was safe in America) of these students have shown us is down right insulting. I was driving with a friend of mine in Eden Prairie, out of no where a group of somalis came running out of some woods beating the crap out of another kid in the middle of the street. Rocks were being thrown at random cars, and at the group of kids in the street by another group of somalis. They ended up hopping in a couple of cars and speeding away. I lived in Eden prairie from 2nd grade till now(2 years out of high school), and I have never EVER seen anything like that. I seriously believe that there is a somali problem here in Eden prairie and it lies with the somali youth.

Having said that, I did like high school, both with and without somalis, I met awesome people, and hand a general good experience in Eden prairie. I just wish that I had graduated a couple of years earlier to escape a problem that I acknowledge.

Sorry if this info is coming late. I thought I would throw my .02 in.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:15 PM

118 posts, read 388,808 times
What do you know, I went to Forest Hills too! When I attended Forest Hills, it was not known for having a diverse student body. I remember that a few of the Twins players lived in neighborhoods around the school, and they sent their children to Forest Hills, so that should tell you about what the area used to be like.

There was a recent article in the Star Tribune discussing Forest Hills:

Quote:
She said the biggest issue at the elementary level is diversity at Forest Hills. It's the district's most diverse elementary school with nearly 40 percent students of color. That's about twice the average for Eden Prairie's five other elementary schools.

Last year, school officials suggested redrawing the district's elementary attendance boundaries to address the imbalance. But Hanily said the school board has not made any decisions about boundaries. (Eden Prairie class sizes will be a little smaller)
I don't make it that direction much anymore, so I can only tell you that it sounds like the area has changed.

Golfgal, what resource do you use to determine that ISD 196 has the best district? Do you have a link? I ask on my own behalf (I'd like to stay in the top ranked district! ), but others would probably find that resource valuable as well.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVguy View Post
What do you know, I went to Forest Hills too! When I attended Forest Hills, it was not known for having a diverse student body. I remember that a few of the Twins players lived in neighborhoods around the school, and they sent their children to Forest Hills, so that should tell you about what the area used to be like.

There was a recent article in the Star Tribune discussing Forest Hills:

I don't make it that direction much anymore, so I can only tell you that it sounds like the area has changed.

Golfgal, what resource do you use to determine that ISD 196 has the best district? Do you have a link? I ask on my own behalf (I'd like to stay in the top ranked district! ), but others would probably find that resource valuable as well.
There are several surveys done but the one I like the best is from Expansion Magazine. First, it is unbiased, it exists to help companies fine communities to expand into, second, it looks at real factors, test scores, graduation rates, college entrance rates, education level of the community, general satisfaction of the students/parents with the schools, etc. According to that 196 ranks #1, EP and Mounds View are 2 and 3.

There have been many different 'rankings' over the years and 196 has come out on top for years, which is why we chose to move here. From a personal perspective having attended/taught in and having kids in many different districts, this is BY FAR the best district I have ever been a part of . The administration is superb, the financial handling of the district are great, the faculty and staff are outstanding. The list goes on. Find another school district that has 3 full time band directors for their high school for a school of 2000 kids. These days schools are lucky to even have a band.

The Star Tribune just did an article on Sunday about the budget issues facing many schools, 196 isn't experiencing those major issues. It is really nice to be in a district that can make staffing choices by the school census vs how much money they have.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:14 PM

76 posts, read 207,265 times
Funny, we are also thinking about moving to EP as my wife has relatives there. I have done much research on the schools (as we have a 7 and 3 year old), and all the schools X-Forrest Hills (my sister in law actually is zoned for FH and drives her kids elsewhere) are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul