Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:40 AM

297 posts, read 841,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I didn't really mean to make light of it, but I guess I didn't realize the extent to which it would impact things. You're right, though -- I've never been in that situation, or when I have (the only contract employee at a site, for example) the difference isn't immediately obvious.

That said, however, I really don't think you'd get gawked at in many of the suburbs. Why? There are so many Somalis in Bloomington, Richfield, and the like that it really isn't that unusual any more to see someone not white.
Somalis are not Black...THEY have these pre-conceived notions of black people and many of them discriminate against Black american's also...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 28,730 times
We're moving there in August. After reading so many of the posts on here, talking to real estate agents and faculty, we've decided to look at Como/Roseville/Falcon Hts area and Maplewood/Woodbury. I have 5 houses that I've found that seem to fit our needs. It's hard doing this search solely online here in Ohio, but I have faith we'll find something.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:38 AM

7 posts, read 28,730 times
I'd love to meet with 2Blessed2Stress and mspryce once I arrive there. I'm assuming from your posts that you are also African American?

Old 06-20-2007, 12:12 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post
Somalis are not Black...THEY have these pre-conceived notions of black people and many of them discriminate against Black american's also...
To my eyes there isn't much physical difference. Wasn't that the stated reason for the gawking?

Old 06-20-2007, 01:08 PM

52 posts, read 122,209 times
Quote:
What do you mean Somali's are not black?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:51 PM

Laughing. After I posted that, I knew how it would read. But, trust me, other Black people know what I am saying. They DO NOT consider themselves "black" and DO NOT want to be labeled as "black" because they (like most other races/ethnicities/nationalities) believe that Black is bad!

RCSteiner, I'm sure to your eyes there is no difference. Unfortunately I often cannot tell the difference physically between a Vietnamese person and a Laotian, but they'll be pissed if I mess it up!

I am Black. I do not consider myself African American. Not in a negative way at all. My parents are American. My grandparents on both sides are American. My great grandmother on my mother's side is Irish. She married a man who was part Apache and Black. My great grandmother on my father's side is Caucasian/Black. She married a man who was Caucasian/Black.

Now, at some point, I'm sure I have ancesters from Africa. But I'm American...thus just...Black.

Everyone I know tells me I am difficult...I know it. I know it. but it's just me...

Old 06-20-2007, 05:30 PM

52 posts, read 122,209 times
Quote:
Laughing. After I posted that, I knew how it would read. But, trust me, other Black people know what I am saying. They DO NOT consider themselves "black" and DO NOT want to be labeled as "black" because they (like most other races/ethnicities/nationalities) believe that Black is bad!

RCSteiner, I'm sure to your eyes there is no difference. Unfortunately I often cannot tell the difference physically between a Vietnamese person and a Laotian, but they'll be pissed if I mess it up!

I am Black. I do not consider myself African American. Not in a negative way at all. My parents are American. My grandparents on both sides are American. My great grandmother on my mother's side is Irish. She married a man who was part Apache and Black. My great grandmother on my father's side is Caucasian/Black. She married a man who was Caucasian/Black.

Now, at some point, I'm sure I have ancesters from Africa. But I'm American...thus just...Black.

Everyone I know tells me I am difficult...I know it. I know it. but it's just me...
I am black and I understand what you meant now that you have clarified your statement. I do not live in the Twin Cities area but have been considering a move to the area and I realize you have more knowledge about Somali's than I do since I am not in contact with them. But if they think they are not black they better take a look in the mirror.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:32 PM

638 posts, read 3,122,950 times
Quote:

Thank you, 2blessed2stress! THAT is a beautiful post!

When my son was about 3 or 4, I remember him asking why his friend could be dirty and why I wouldn't let him be dirty too. His friend was Puerto Rican and very tanned that summer; so I told my son and his friend to come with me and called my hubby into the bedroom and we looked in the mirror. Now, I worked nights at the time and my skin tone is normally sallow, my red-headed Irish/Scandinavian hubby was badly sun-burnt that day and my son has an olive complexion and his friend was very dark. I just pointed out to my son that we are ALL different-colored on the surface but we all had the same red blood under our skin, the whites of our eyes were all pretty much the same, and we all had the same red tongues.

I don't think our son (or his friend) ever mentioned skin color again until he was in 8th grade (when he told me his new school only had white kids!).

I hope this doesn't come across wrong; but Black is a whole lot easier to say than African American!

And I agree: the Somali's do not consider themselves as being Black or African Americans; they prefer to be called Somalis!

Old 06-21-2007, 06:53 AM

You are right on target JenLee

Old 06-21-2007, 07:23 AM

8 posts, read 33,868 times
Welcome to Minnesota!

If you want diversity and safety try Lake Harriet, Cedar Lake, and Lake Calhoun areas of Mpls. You may want to try the Lake Calhoun area. The Linden Hills area of Mpls. is nice too.

If you want to live in the burbs, any area is very open to diversity. The area with diversity and safety combined is St. Louis Park and Golden Valley. I would not recommend Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, Columbia Heights, and Robbinsdale as the crime is higher in those areas. Parts of Bloomington are ok. It depends on what area of Bloomington. Bloomington is near the airport. I hope that helps you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul