Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:39 PM

418 posts, read 906,554 times

Advertisements

About this time of the year, I start thinking about moving to a warmer state and I have been for the past several years. Housing and jobs are what keeps us here, or rather, inability to sell our home without bringing cash to the table is what keeps us here. So therefore, I feel fairly trapped in a place I don't want to be. Mind you, the Twin Cities has been a great place for us to live for almost 20-yrs. As I look across the U.S at places I think about moving to, there are downfalls to all those places, or maybe it's lack of familiarity.

I want to ask those that are moving to the Twin Cities from warm areas like Dallas, Charlotte, San Diego...what's bringing you here? I know why people that grew up here stay but what's keeping other transplants like myself from moving? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 01:50 PM

21 posts, read 98,854 times
My family moved here from Austin, TX last June. Our primary motivations to move were that we wanted to live in a more progressive state, we wanted a better school system for our children, and I really, really hated the heat.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:11 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Gina View Post
My family moved here from Austin, TX last June. Our primary motivations to move were that we wanted to live in a more progressive state, we wanted a better school system for our children, and I really, really hated the heat.
We're doing the opposite and moving to Austin this summer. We really, really hate the cold.

To answer the original question, we have family here, but it's still not keeping us here! We're headed back to warmer pastures (spent the last 11 years in Phoenix and am desperate to get back to a warmer climate)!

Old 01-13-2010, 05:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
I am not a transplant but we have several friends that are and they have all moved here because of the abysmal schools in their previous locations (Austin, Tx is one of them). Our friends from California couldn't stand the traffic and high cost of living either (San Diego is one of my favorite places to visit though).

We have friends that lived in Arkansas and couldn't wait to get out--again, schools and general "culture" there. We have some other friends that moved from the Atlanta area and when they first moved they had total sticker shock with the housing prices so they asked their builder from Atlanta if he would come build the same house they had there here, he said "sure, if you want your house to fall apart in 5 years I can do that". He then educated him on the need for good windows, insulation, etc. here .

We just spent a week in Missouri and it doesn't take long to notice the difference in the education level of the general public in Missouri vs MN, WI, IA.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
We are here from SFL because of a great job opportunity, the schools, the size of the city and the variety of things to do in a city this size.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I am not a transplant but we have several friends that are and they have all moved here because of the abysmal schools in their previous locations (Austin, Tx is one of them).
Interesting. In all the research we've done, there are EXCELLENT schools in the Austin area, which is one of the main reasons we're moving there.

Do you know what ISD they came from?

Old 01-14-2010, 10:24 AM

418 posts, read 906,554 times
Thanks to those that have responded. I find myself struggling to reconcile the good schools, stable economy, excellent healthcare, and low crime rates that the Twin Cities has to offer vs. the long cold winters. I can't be the only one. Maybe it's seasonal affliction disorder but this wasn't the case for me 5 or 10-yrs ago. I am a 20-yr transplant and have done well to adapt and adopt to living here but am wondering if it's just me agitating for a change in scenery, ie. warmth.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:32 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
Interesting. In all the research we've done, there are EXCELLENT schools in the Austin area, which is one of the main reasons we're moving there.

Do you know what ISD they came from?
Warm weather notwithstanding, I don't think I could tolerate living in Texas. I've heard from many people that Austin is an island of sanity, but I still think it's probably backwards. Just my uneducated, pre-conceived notion of a deeply red state.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:39 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
Thanks to those that have responded. I find myself struggling to reconcile the good schools, stable economy, excellent healthcare, and low crime rates that the Twin Cities has to offer vs. the long cold winters. I can't be the only one. Maybe it's seasonal affliction disorder but this wasn't the case for me 5 or 10-yrs ago. I am a 20-yr transplant and have done well to adapt and adopt to living here but am wondering if it's just me agitating for a change in scenery, ie. warmth.
Different times call for different circumstances. Minneapolis may not be a fit for us in 10 years when our kids are in college and our circumstances have changed - but its good for us now. I am not of the mindset that you are destined to live in one location - change is good. Sounds like it may be time to consider a move. We are so fortunate in the US to have such vast options - take them!

Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Warm weather notwithstanding, I don't think I could tolerate living in Texas. I've heard from many people that Austin is an island of sanity, but I still think it's probably backwards. Just my uneducated, pre-conceived notion of a deeply red state.
Austin is more of a live and let live kind of city where people don't really care about where you lean politically; they care more about if you're a good neighbor, etc., which I welcome with open arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul