Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 PM

33 posts, read 70,439 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I'm considering a move to MN at the end of the year due to personal reasons (family) however I'm very concerned about IT employment out there. I'm currently residing in PA working at a proprietary software company which if I'm lucky may be able to land myself a job with a reseller but I'm not holding out for it.

Can anyone advise on the current state of IT employment in MN, specifically in the area of technical support? I have not started specializing in any one field, so I have about 3 years of general support with extensive SQL exposure.

Any other advice for applying for a job before moving? My current timeframe is mid-end Sept with starting to apply for jobs at the beginning of July. I have decided to be honest on my resume and put a definite timeframe on my resume for relocation. I'm looking to the Maple Grove area. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 11:12 PM

481 posts, read 1,817,745 times
Three years without specialized experience is pretty thin for this economy, and if you have to wait out the recession until employment picks up you could be facing a job gap that makes it even harder. If you can find something, great, but I wouldn't walk until I had something in my pocket. In the meantime, look for ways to differentiate yourself and improve the skillset. Positions at work that once took months to fill take a week or two. If you do get an interview with your experience, they will be looking for attitude as much or more so than skillset. This is the time to find something in your field you are passionate about and put in some real quality geek time, just to prove you have that commitment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul