Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:25 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I grabbed my camera today to take a picture of the pothole that killed my tire (and messed up something that's now rattling underneath my car), and was both relieved and disappointed that it had been filled in the past day/two
Wow, it looks like Pawlenty read this board and listened to his fellow constituents. I think you owe him an apology!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 05:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Wow, it looks like Pawlenty read this board and listened to his fellow constituents. I think you owe him an apology!
No we don't, the roads are still in terrible shape and it never should have gotten this bad.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:22 AM

587 posts, read 1,420,533 times
So, I thought the roads were bad up by me, but yesterday I drove down to Mpls and was on Nicollet (near 35th). Whoa. Now THOSE were bad roads.

I think the speed limit was 35ish, but the cars in front of me were only going around 10 because the pot holes were so bad!

I don't think I'll be complaining about the potholes in Ramsey County anymore...

Old 03-20-2010, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 3,927 times
Half the gas tax that is supposed to be dedicated to road maintainance and construction has been redirected. Lets fix that. As for University Ave. Now is as good as it gets for the next several years. The Light Rail project is launched but stalling. As long as the construction is scheduled there will be MINIMAL street work on the ave. Why spend dollars on something that will be dug up in 1 to 3 years?

Old 03-20-2010, 09:18 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I am being fair, in past years road crews would be out fixing at least the worst pot holes. Hotlines were set up to call in major ones so people didn't get hurt. Since TPaw has an asinine theory that prices never go up in 4 years and therefore taxes shouldn't be raised no matter what, our healthy state budget has crumbled to one of the worst in the nation. It is his fault--see Camden's post about the line item vetos once again. All he is doing is driving away good people from the state that don't want to put up with this crap.
hey guys, if you want higher taxes, feel free to swap governors! we can have ours up there in ~ 3 hours.

just saying

Old 03-20-2010, 12:52 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times
I have no idea where acworth is or who your governor is, but yes cityrover, I do want higher taxes, because I understand their importance. It might mean that I have to give slightly less in my annual donations to foundations and charities, but there are some things that only organized govt/ a tax base can do.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:03 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
Arizona. Not too much for potholes and the paved roads are actually pretty nice. It's all the unpaved roads--and trust me, there are a lot. Alot. Most of them begin with a sign that says "Warning: Road not maintained by the County." I'll go back to MN and take on the potholes any day!

Old 03-21-2010, 07:55 AM

587 posts, read 1,420,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Arizona. Not too much for potholes and the paved roads are actually pretty nice. It's all the unpaved roads--and trust me, there are a lot. Alot. Most of them begin with a sign that says "Warning: Road not maintained by the County." I'll go back to MN and take on the potholes any day!
Really? I lived in Arizona for 11 years and they had some of the best roads in the country! So smooth, no potholes, annual putting down the rubberized asphalt making them super quiet, etc... I hardly ever came across any dirt roads.

Did you live outside of a metropolitan area like Phoenix or Tucson or something? Because if so, that's not really comparable to the Twin Cities.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:03 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
So, I thought the roads were bad up by me, but yesterday I drove down to Mpls and was on Nicollet (near 35th). Whoa. Now THOSE were bad roads.

I think the speed limit was 35ish, but the cars in front of me were only going around 10 because the pot holes were so bad!

I don't think I'll be complaining about the potholes in Ramsey County anymore...
FYI, the speed limit on Nicollet is 30, not "35ish." Very few streets in Minneapolis are 35 MPH--Park and Portland (south of downtown) are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that are 35. (It's apparently easier to time out a "wave of green" at 35 MPH given the length of the city blocks and the cycle times the city uses for its traffic signal system--or something.) If there are no speed limit signs posted on a city street, then the speed limit is 30. This is by state statute, and it's fairly unambiguous.

The pothole crews have been out filling them--most of the worst spots where I drive daily have been filled, but that doesn't necessarily mean the roads aren't still bumpy. They have yet to start "permanent" repairs (which are done more carefully and are smoother as an end result) anywhere that I can see.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:18 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No we don't, the roads are still in terrible shape and it never should have gotten this bad.
The roads weren't even close to being this bad last fall and the Minnesota Department of Transportation doesn't start patching up bad roads until the construction season starts in spring, where is the confusion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul