Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:51 PM

33 posts, read 140,463 times

Advertisements

I've been considering buying a duplex in South Mpls--not far from 46th & Chicago Ave. Does anyone have any advice? It is a one bedroom each side & in very, very good shape. Is that a good neighborhood? Any landlords have comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:38 AM

383 posts, read 901,004 times
That's an OK neighborhood. I was just there on Monday en route to Green Central gym. Anything south of 40th street is a good neighborhood in that area.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:29 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,841 times
If the price is right, then it would be a good purchase. The little village on 48th and Chicago is close by and that is a desirable area.

Just don't buy the place if it is on a busy street such as 46th or Chicago itself.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:15 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
48th and Chicago is a great commercial district, and I think would be a real draw for potential tenants. I know people who live around there, and are very happy with the neighborhood. Moving north the intersection of 38th and Chicago is pretty bad, but that's a part of the city where things seem to change quickly by the block. I wouldn't live near 38th and Chicago; I would live by 46th and Chicago.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:20 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,998 times
I used to live at 39th and Portland and you're right in that neighborhood, things change pretty radically block by block. But south of 42nd is generally nice, and the area around 48th and Chicago has gotten an upgrade over the past 2-3 years with some nice new restaurants and shops opening.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:32 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo845 View Post
I used to live at 39th and Portland and you're right in that neighborhood, things change pretty radically block by block. But south of 42nd is generally nice, and the area around 48th and Chicago has gotten an upgrade over the past 2-3 years with some nice new restaurants and shops opening.
What was your opinion of the 3900 block of Portland Ave S? If I remember right I want to say that it's probably not terrible. From the freeway to 4th or 5th ave and down to 42nd is pretty run down looking but when you go over to the Portland, Oakland and Park blocks I remember it looking ok south of 38th St.

Regardless, south of 42nd St S around Chicago Ave takes you into the Regina/Norththrop neighborhoods which are an obvious improvement to the Central & Bryant neighborhoods from a visual standpoint. I think the crime rate also starts to drop significantly as you continue south on those streets. I also agree that the Chicago and 48th commercial area is very nice, it's one of the highlight areas and major draws in South Minneapolis in my opinion.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:49 PM

540 posts, read 1,096,998 times
Well, the first night I moved in, I was outside having a cigarette and was greeted with a shotgun blast. Heard gunfire too many times to count.

A couple of days later, I caught someone trying to break into the house (I was working 3rd shift at the time, so they probably thought no one was home). Even after a security system was put in, there were still a couple of attempted break ins.

There was a house for sale across the street that was obviously being used as the base of a call girl ring.

There was a house on 38th and Portland that was used for drug deals. I think it finally got shut down after SWAT raided it twice.

The garage was tagged numerous times, and other obvious gang activity around the area.

The guy next door was a crackhead who was basically mooching off his dad's disabilty benefits. At the beginning of the month, all of his "cousins" from places like Detroit and Chicago would basically use the house as a party pad until their welfare checks were exhausted.

I was almost mugged walking home from a bus stop.

So, yeah, I didn't like it. Most of the people in the area were decent hard-working types, but there were a few bad apples who caused troubles. Most of this was due to absentee landlords who really didn't care who they were renting to, or what they were doing.

That was about five years ago, though. My friend still lives in the same house, so I'll still go over there once in a while. Things have gotten better, mostly because some of the problem properties got taken care of, either by the police finally being able to arrest the people in them or the city being able to take action on the slumlords. But now there's a whole new can of worms opening with houses going into foreclosure and going vacant.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:04 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Hmm, I guess that doesn't surprise me too much. OP, I wouldn't be alarmed by this. I am pretty sure if you talked to somebody who lives on or around the 4600 block of Chicago or Portland Ave they have had a much different and likely a much more positive experience. If you walk around down there you'll see that the area changes drastically very quickly as you head southbound.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:22 PM

138 posts, read 370,687 times
I do business occassionly at 46th and 2nd Ave S. Not sure how far this is from Chicago Ave. I see used syringes on the sidewalk. But I visit a home for disabled vets. Could be them for all I know. I am not in that neighborhood enough to say anymore. Just an observation.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:41 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,576 times
a friend of my family has lived off 46th and Clinton for approx 20 years (about 8 blocks over) and its been a pretty dramatic change since the early 80s. Its a decent area. The area around Turtle Bread is very nice. Adrians is delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul