Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:35 PM

335 posts, read 676,269 times

Advertisements

I cant beleive how bad the potholes are on university near hwy 280.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 07:39 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,835,015 times
they're everywhere and it's ridiculous this year- i popped a tire on about a 1.5-2 ft deep one today, and it was a snow tire as i haven't had a chance to change them out yet, so I'm not too happy about it.

Thinking about hitting T-Paw's office with the bill....i hope everyone's happy with him not raising taxes in 8 years....

Old 03-14-2010, 08:46 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,112 times
They're pretty bad in Duluth.

They're pretty bad almost everywhere in MN.

Not sure about other states but I would be surprised if MN isn't one of the worst.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
they're everywhere and it's ridiculous this year- i popped a tire on about a 1.5-2 ft deep one today, and it was a snow tire as i haven't had a chance to change them out yet, so I'm not too happy about it.

Thinking about hitting T-Paw's office with the bill....i hope everyone's happy with him not raising taxes in 8 years....
I haven't blown a tire yet but my suspension and alignment are taking a beating. I was considering sending TPaw a bill as well.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:12 AM

587 posts, read 1,420,756 times
No. I don't think there is.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:19 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post

A harsh winter that has taken its toll on roads in Minnesota and you're throwing all the blame on the governor?? I understand the state has major budget and funding issues and although it's fair to place some of the responsibility on the Pawlenty, the economic recession/housing crisis has definitely played a larger role. The roads have a few days without snow and you're already claiming it's the governor's fault though? Give me a break. If it's August and the potholes are still there then we have a conversation.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 03-15-2010 at 07:53 AM..

Old 03-15-2010, 07:26 AM

191 posts, read 349,865 times
I'm with Slig, blame the freezing rain we had early in the season and thaw/freeze/thaw/freeze that is a MN winter for the potholes, not one guy who has plenty of other problems to deal with.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 AM

Way to come to TPaw's defense guys, and I'm not actually intending on sending his office an invoice if it makes you feel better- I was being facetious.

However, in my mind it's not so much an issue of potholes as it is a 'crumbling roads'/ infrastructural issue. There are streets that I regularly drive on that have already had their potholes filled this year, but feel like an amusement park ride because they're so uneven/worn out- this actually is fairly common on a fair amount of roads in Minneapolis I think. It's clear that shortcuts have been taken, and if many roads had been getting proper maintenance/proactive resurfacing (vs. constant refilling of potholes over many years) they wouldn't be anywhere near the condition they're in right now.

And in our own neighborhood we've heard promises/continuous expected start dates of the repaving of a major thoroughfare for years and nothing happens. The various actors in the politics of roads (city, county, state, even other govt entities) seem unable to get their crap together with anything to do with with the issue- I can't count the number of times I've heard "X" politician say that "Y" road belongs to the office of "Z" (meaning it's out of their jurisdiction as it belongs to another bureacracy) when neighbors have complained at meetings, etc.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:22 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
I'm not a Pawlenty supporter and I hate defending the guy but he seriously gets way more crap than he deserves. Bash the guy all you want but at least try to be fair about it.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I'm not a Pawlenty supporter and I hate defending the guy but he seriously gets way more crap than he deserves. Bash the guy all you want but at least try to be fair about it.
Well, I think it's only "fair" to look at his record in this department (public works, transit, infrastructure improvements, etc.)- granted, ever since the bridge collapsed, he claims this to be one of his big priority areas, albeit his record still doesn't really reflect that- of the many taxes he's consistently vetoed included a number intended to increase transportation/roads spending (see links below).

So, I've changed my mind- I will be sending the smarmy little 'i'm-so-focused-on-my-political-career-i've-lost-all-touch-with-reality' quack a bill to repair my tire. Do you have any sources to show that he has a good record in this area, or are roads just supposed to repair themselves?

Pawlenty chops $1B construction bill to $680M | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/local/87651762.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU - broken link)

AFL-CIO NOW BLOG | Minnesota Bridge Collapsed 1 Year Ago. Bush, Pawlenty Stall on Action (http://blog.aflcio.org/2008/08/01/minnesota-bridge-collapsed-1-year-ago-bush-pawlenty-stall-on-action/ - broken link)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/us/07highway.html

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 03-15-2010 at 03:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul