Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 PM

383 posts, read 900,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The thing that sucks for the commuters is the large number of stupid arrogant hipsters on fixed gear bikes with no brakes running red lights and stop signs, going the wrong direction on one ways streets, and not using any hand signals at all.
Thank god I'm a metalhead that rides a BMX and a mountain bike, follows all traffic rules and use hand signals. I even use proper lighting when I ride too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 11:10 PM

33 posts, read 78,632 times
Just because we break the law and get away with it doesn't mean we're not as legit as any vehicle on the road. You can get moving violations on a bicycle. You can DUI's on a bicycle. You can't kill (other) people on a bicycle.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:13 PM

For anybody who gets upset at people who ride down River Road instead of using the bike path, stop yelling at cyclists and start telling pedestrians to use the Walking Path instead of the Bike Path. You'd eliminate half your problem.

And last I checked, riding a bike on the sidewalk faster than 'walking speed' is illegal.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insert_name_here_00 View Post
Just because we break the law and get away with it doesn't mean we're not as legit as any vehicle on the road. You can get moving violations on a bicycle. You can DUI's on a bicycle. You can't kill (other) people on a bicycle.
A bicycle can cause an accident which results in loss of life. Don't fool yourself into thinking your actions cannot impact others. Someone avoiding a bike being operated carelessly can hit an obstacle, another vehicle, etc.

My own comment earlier in this thread was simply to point out that a negative bias against bikers can have a basis. Same with motorcyclists. I try to watch out and respect them both, but some of them act in ways which disrespect both automobile drivers and other bikers/cyclists.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:58 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,824 times
Quote:
You can't kill (other) people on a bicycle.
Really?

Woman dies after bicyclists crash head-on in Bloomington | Minnesota Public Radio NewsQ

Old 04-12-2010, 10:07 PM

383 posts, read 900,790 times
Quote:
For anybody who gets upset at people who ride down River Road instead of using the bike path, stop yelling at cyclists and start telling pedestrians to use the Walking Path instead of the Bike Path. You'd eliminate half your problem.

And last I checked, riding a bike on the sidewalk faster than 'walking speed' is illegal.
I simply ride over their feet when they're on the bike path and get on my way. It's mean, it's kind of sadistic, but then again, if they didn't want their feet ran over, they would read the signs and stay TFO the bike path.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
A bicycle can cause an accident which results in loss of life. Don't fool yourself into thinking your actions cannot impact others. Someone avoiding a bike being operated carelessly can hit an obstacle, another vehicle, etc.

My own comment earlier in this thread was simply to point out that a negative bias against bikers can have a basis. Same with motorcyclists. I try to watch out and respect them both, but some of them act in ways which disrespect both automobile drivers and other bikers/cyclists.
I hear you.

I was more trying to point out that riding a bike is hardly lethal in comparison to 2000 pound vehicles. I know bikes can spark accidents - I should have chosen my words better. However, by that definition a pedestrian is lethal.

As far as two cyclists colliding... The guy running next to me could trip and smash heads with me. I'm not really gonna worry about it.

I don't mean to be on some argumentative **** and I apologize if my tone isn't coming across well.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
I hear you.

I was more trying to point out that riding a bike is hardly lethal in comparison to 2000 pound vehicles. I know bikes can spark accidents - I should have chosen my words better. However, by that definition a pedestrian is lethal.
True, and you're absolutely right that a bike is a LOT less likely to cause that sort of thing than a car would be. Or a truck, etc.

Pedestrians aren't normally out mixing it up with live auto traffic, though, while bikers tend to be a lot more exposed to such interactions.

No worries ... I think we're mostly on the same page.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:14 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Glad to see the bike trails being used in the metro.

I wonder how rural Minnesota stacks up?

I attended many meetings where rural RR were abandoned and heard the cries of people wanted then converted into paved bike trails.

They were converted .

Quite surprised Saturday traveling by car from Sauk Centre to Albany and counting the number of bikes using it on that beautifull Saturday in early April.

ZERO !

I did not see a single biker on that trail in mid afternoon.

Sunday I traveled from Sauk Centre to Brandon and back.
On the areas and towns that had bike trails going thru them------ZERO

C'mon, you rural bikers cried for those recreation trails, they got built via of taxpayer money and yet there is little use.

As I stated, glad to see the bike trails in the metro being used.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:51 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Glad to see the bike trails being used in the metro.

I wonder how rural Minnesota stacks up?

I attended many meetings where rural RR were abandoned and heard the cries of people wanted then converted into paved bike trails.

They were converted .

Quite surprised Saturday traveling by car from Sauk Centre to Albany and counting the number of bikes using it on that beautifull Saturday in early April.

ZERO !

I did not see a single biker on that trail in mid afternoon.

Sunday I traveled from Sauk Centre to Brandon and back.
On the areas and towns that had bike trails going thru them------ZERO

C'mon, you rural bikers cried for those recreation trails, they got built via of taxpayer money and yet there is little use.

As I stated, glad to see the bike trails in the metro being used.

Like the Wobegon trail that goes from St. Cloud to god knows where?

Same thing with the Paul Bunyan trail from Brainerd. It's not nearly as packed as one would think in the summer. Unless it's a weekend (major weekend-4th, memorial or labor) the trails are dead.

ha, and people whined about building a stadium with tax dollars. Haven't seen the Paul Bunyan trail bring in visitors from over 25 different states in the first day it opened like Target Field did yesterday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul